Hail call to Tod Osier

Dale C.

Hey Tod,

I'm going to pick up a sous vide cooker. What type do you recommend? I want something that is easy to use. I don't mind spending the money for a good one. I know you have posted on this before, but your fresh thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

The anova units are the ones you hear the most about. I just use a cooler and add water as needed, redneck style.

Dale,

I too want to try this technique and recently saw this thread http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000655;p=1#000010 A cheap way to get started for sure.

Dale,

I too want to try this technique and recently saw this thread http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000655;p=1#000010 A cheap way to get started for sure.

Hey Pete,

Makes me hungry! Those potato and onion thingies look amazing. He is using a crock pot. Everything I've heard about using a crock pot, for sous vide, is that you need to wire in a temp. regulator. Here is a youtube link. That's something I'm not comfortable doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhedRvUvsBY

Let me know what you are thinking. I still am on the fence, as to what I'm going to do. I kind of want something I don't have to fuss with.

Dale

Dale,

I don't think a temp regulator is a necessity - might be nice but I'm going to get by without it.

I spent about 11 hours yesterday with my old, round, Rival Crock Pot and a digital thermometer. My crock pot controls are Off, Low and High. I filled the crock pot with 75 degree tap water and set it on Low. After two hours it was only at 113 degrees. Put the cover on, still set on LOW and after another hour and a half it was at 145 degrees - too high. I cracked the lid 1/2" and it only came down to 144 in an hour so I cracked it an inch and a half and after another hour it was still at 138. It was obvious to me that the LOW setting was too unstable so I set it on HIGH, took the cover off and proceeded to fall asleep in my recliner for a couple hours (testing is exhausting). When I finally woke up, just in time to go to bed, the temp was 133 - PERFECT.

So, for me and my crock pot, I am going to vacuum bag a venison roast today and put it in the pot full of water Sunday morning on HIGH with the cover off and leave it all day. I'll report the results after dinner tomorrow.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica](testing is exhausting).[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] I'll report the results after dinner tomorrow.[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]

Especially the final part of the "testing".
[/font]

Keep us posted Pete. Going to grill a honker tomorrow.

Dave.......... that's the fun part!

Dale

So I already related about calibrating my crock pot. I started with a lower round roast of my recently killed whitetail buck, loaded it with garlic, salt, pepper and some thyme. Put it in a vacuum bag and refrigerated it over night.

This morning I put the roast, still in the vacuum bag, into my crockpot full of water.

I checked the temp off and on most of the day and after stabilizing at around 133 I just left it. After 9 hours in the crock pot set on high I pulled it out.

And carved it.

and served with sides of roasted Butternut squash, Cranberries sauteed in butter and maple syrup as well as a bottle of Stags Leap Merlot that I made from a kit and bottled in May.

The meat was perfectly done and very tender. It had a bit more garlic flavor than I would have liked and the reason was that the strong flavor in garlic is mellowed out after a temp of 140 and of course the crock pot never reached that temp.

All in all, the sous vide technique in the crock pot worked perfectly and certainly will be part of my arsenal in the future.

Pete,
NO FAIR, NO FAIR, NO FAIR,,,,,,,,,,,, posting pics like that when now I am at work and looking at a cold box lunch for well, lunch. No fair at all, I'm coming to your house for lunch, I get a 30 minute break so we will have to eat fast.

Haha, I think it will be great cold, sliced paper thin and piled high with a little horseradish sauce and provolone on toasted whole wheat. Come on over.

Okay, now I have a goal. I have that same Crock Pot and just dropped a white tail at the butcher's last night....

Glad it worked out. I always sear or throw the meat on a hot grill to give it some color and mellow the garlic. Just a minute a side. Herbs and garlic really penetrate the meat over the couple hours at low temp.

Put down a tender one this morning, myself.

Well, damn, now I am going to have to go shoot a deer and try this out.
Might do a "test run" with my crockpot this weekend.

Looks awesome Pete!

I ordered my cooker tonight. I decided to get this one. Price was right.

http://www.amazon.com/VonShef-Premium-Liter-Sous-Water/dp/B00NMIRSTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447139082&sr=8-1&keywords=sous+vide+vonshef

Dale

If I didn't already have a crock pot I'd look closer at that device. It'll be nice to be able to set different temps for different food - something I can't do with a crock pot.

Dale

so you are bringing lunch next time we hunt ?

That would be a no..............

You were showing off pictures, of those big fat mallards you shot. I expect a nice big mallard sandwich this Saturday!

Then we’ll talk about my turn!

Dale

those mallards are long gone
maybe i can get some more tomorrow
or better yet maybe you will get some big fat mallards and put them in
that fancy new cooker you got
just don't forget to bring them for lunch next time out !

Back