Hand built wooden boat

Brandon Rapp

Hi all. I’m trying to gain some insight on this boat I took as partial payment for a job.
It’s approximately 12’ long. I know nothing about it other than it was built about 50 years ago.
Just trying to decide what I should do with it.
I’m contemplating selling it, but I’m also considering keeping it for one reason or another. What are your guys thoughts?
Most likely would need some work before it hit the water again.
Any ideas on value of something like this if I do try to sell it?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4263.jpeg
    IMG_4263.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4265.jpeg
    IMG_4265.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4264.jpeg
    IMG_4264.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Is something like this even worth selling? To me it looks like it should be on the wall at a bass pro with a bunch of duck decoys in it.

Is something like this even worth selling? To me it looks like it should be on the wall at a bass pro with a bunch of duck decoys in it.
This was a boat built by a duck hunter from plans in the old popular mechanics or one of those. If you search svensons or dngoodchild some drawings will show up. Some guys on here have built them. I had one in 1978 and it was a good boat. i see them for sale on FB from time to time. value not more than 400 on high side

I agree with Bob's valuation. That one is in good enough shape to not end up a planter in someone's front yard. I bet it spent most of its life out of the elements. With some good prep work and a nice coat of paint she'd make someone proud to hunt her. From the pictures it certainly looks like the builder was quite competent.

Cool little boat. Stick a small motor, some grass and a spray shield on it and she looks ready to hunt.
Interesting how it goes from sheer sided at the back to feather edge in the front.

Thanks for the replies guys. I figured it was built off some old school plans. The guy did a great job with the build. I just thought it was a cool old boat so when it was offered to me I took it.
It was hanging it this garage for at least the last 20+ years.
I wish I could say I would use it but it probably will end up in my rafters for the next 20 years also.

Attachments

• IMG_3221.jpeg
    IMG_3221.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2853.jpeg
    IMG_2853.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured it was built off some old school plans. The guy did a great job with the build. I just thought it was a cool old boat so when it was offered to me I took it.
It was hanging it this garage for at least the last 20+ years.
I wish I could say I would use it but it probably will end up in my rafters for the next 20 years also.

This vessel is from the Hay Days of Blue Collar Duck Hunting. Duck hunting was something that lots of folks did, and it did not cost a arm and a leg. Hunters built much of their own equipment in the age of Skills over college degrees. Many of the skills learned while serving in the armed forces, CCC, etc. It was in many ways truly "Those were the days..." The paint job may be from when it went from duckboat to fishing boat. Even in that color it makes me smile. Dreams became reality much quicker back then it seems, folks did not wait. One could prowl the alleys in towns and barns and sheds in farm areas. You would always see someone building something. The plans right there in a magazine for all to use.

Being a Geezer has many rewards and some wonderful memories.

I had a very similar boat for a few years. I think I sold it for $500 or $600 back in the early 2000s. And that was with fresh paint and some repairs.

A good one man boat. But a little bit on the small side if you have a dog and a lot of gear

Ed and Bob are correct. That boat is covered in DN Goodchild's book "The Barnegat Bay Sneakbox" and it was designed by William D. Jackson. It is also on the Svenson's website.

Last edited:
Wow! Thats awesome!
I didn’t expect someone to come up with the plans. Thanks!
I’m not sure what to do with it. I kind of want to keep it because I’ll know I’ll never find another one, but on the other hand, I don’t think I would ever use it. I either need to sell it or hoist it into the rafters at my place. Winter’s coming and I need the floor space in my shop.
As far as I can tell it only has one thin coat of the green paint. I’m not sure it has ever even been in the water.

Feb 22 2008 posted by Howard shows his new boat and donated to auction. Spent an hour looking for this . Interesting story that follows the boat. Sorry couldn't figure out how to post it

Bob

I think this is what you were referring to. I wonder what happened to Howard. He built a really nice boat.

Back