hi to all nebie with first build

Chris L.

hi im a nebie to boat building but not boats i bought a new sneak boat that some one else had built and had the idea that i should build my own boat and wanted to build a smaller boat to start but i have been given a grady white hull that i think has potential so instead of build i guess it will b a remodel or transformation of course all the wood is rotten but the fiberglass is in good shape ill try to post some pics thanks for all the knowledge and inspiration i have recieved from info found on this forum it is a great place

here is a pic of my boat im useing this year

2012-09-29_16-32-02_292_zps54349d35.jpg

2012-09-16_13-19-48_388_zps8baf9223.jpg

and here is the grady im gonna hopefully start tearing down tomorow

2012-10-22_17-11-25_739_zps01765c94.jpg

2012-10-22_17-11-00_202_zps912004f5.jpg

2012-10-22_17-10-40_971_zps0ba1f4b6.jpg

2012-10-22_17-10-22_563_zps3e92e3c8.jpg

i really like the boat mr. phill built and love to see some pics of others who have built rigs similar thanks

Post some specs about the boat you are hunting out of this year. It looks pretty cool.

Good luck on the Grady rebuild. They are great boats. Could make for a nice sea duck rig. But definitely looks like a lot of work.

----------

Looks like a Grady 20 Overnighter. A very good hull.

I hope you realize you may be opening Pandora's Box.

In the time it takes you to get that boat sea shape, you could build a 20' skiff from scratch. It might even cost less, especially the motor.

Something like the Nexus Dory:
2274722760088484686S600x600Q85.jpg

the rig im running now was a 1972 glassmaster a fellow built in the 90s he cut the boat prettymuch in half and built the top out like a bbsb kinda it is 16 foot by 6 foot wide it has a flat bottom at transom and v at the bow the cockpit is 42 wide and 17 deep and 11' long it works great for what it was built for and i plane on makein that 25 evinrude a 35 next summer im goona use the 35 carb and intake if u swap those two parts wich bolt right up it becomes a 35 right now it runs about 25 with me dog and gear add another person and its like 22mph i customized my avery quickset to fit and with it the boat disapears

as far as the grady goes im gonna do pretty much the same just bigger deeper and more storage i hope to end up with something like a hellcat/banks/tdb/and phils honker i would really like to have a a small console up front but might go with a big tiller im not sure yet main goal now is to get it stripped and here at the house so i can work the kinks out of the build

thanks for your intrest hope i answered your ?

it might b pandoras box but the only thing im intrested in is the hull i want to build everything else from there up .
i purchased the honker plans and priced the ply and just for the hull ply it would be over a thousand for the material so i figured this was free and a cost saver on some materials i plan to start form bare hull with grady and it is a 20 footer

n e body got n e suggestions on motor size i was thinking a 90 but worry it wont b enough what do yall think

What do they normally run on the boat?
You are cutting some weight off with the cabin gone and outer liner etc.
But it's still a heavy boat, I'm thinking 120 minimum.
I had a 20 Welcraft with a 150 was ok, but when I went to a 200 is was greeeaaat.!
I'd start shopping around for a motor now

in reply i have no idea what they used to run on it i have never seen a motor on it and neither has the guy who gave it to me the coast guard placard says max hp 230 but i think that will b a little over board being i have taken so much weight off of it i worked on the demo some this mourning and now im stopping to get ready for sandy

here is a pic of the chop job after this mourning now i gotta clean it all up and out

2012-10-27_12-31-45_894.jpg

i would like to think that a 125 or 150 will make her scoot rite good

ok i got some more demo and cleaning done today plan on doing more tomorow . possibly bring her home if i get it on my trailer but once i got most of the trash out of her i started to visualize the layout i wanted and i decided to go with a tiller also my question is once i put the tiller in would it b a wise decision to move the gas tank to the bow that way it would help counter removing the cabin also as my weight will now b in the back as well i will take some more pics for u guys when i get finished tomorow please feel free to give any input u guys have as i am sure there r plenty of yall who have more experiance with a job like this than me ( cause this is my first of this size):)
and i realy want her to sit nice and level and also plane out nicely as well thanks for your time

Hi Chris. If you are going to run a tiller motor, a gas tank in the bow is quite handy for balancing the boat fore and aft. I was just thinking....If you are going to run a tiller motor, than you will have to go with much less HP than the mfg'ers sticker. I don't remember the details, but the HP rating formula on the Cost Guard site is different for tiller motors than it is for wheel steering. Once you get the boat assembled the way you want it, you may want to look the formula up and decide from there how much motor you want to hang on that thing.

John Bourbon

mr. john that is what the plan is to build like we want then figure out the horsepower do u know what the formula is to figure out what the hp should b for it to plane off and run around 30mph w.o.t

thanks for your reply i got alot done today i finished tearin the foam out and got the boat loaded up brought home and turned over now ill sand and paint the bottom build a jig to role it over on and then get it in the shop for rest

is there any thing special i should do to the hull other than clean sand and paint i have been reading about graphite in gelcoat would that b worth the trouble or not ?

here are the pics of todays progress
got her cleaned out
2012-11-01_10-59-04_590.jpg

drug out this hull hasent moved in 7 yrs.
2012-11-01_11-25-20_838.jpg

loaded up and moved out
2012-11-01_12-58-09_284.jpg

and fliped over at her new home
2012-11-01_17-55-21_76.jpg

2012-11-01_17-55-05_521.jpg

is there a formula for figureing out the hp needed to power a boat

i will im trying to keep photos of this build in hopes of one day my son will ask where the boat came from while hunting out of it and i will b able to show him where it came from ( my own sweat ) being that my son is only 11 weeks old ill have to wait a while for that

i fear that progress will slow down due to hunting and the winter weather ill be in your state next week on the opener

do u have all of your stuff ready for the season mr. john also what part of nc do u hail from ?

Hi Chris. I tried to open the link to see if thats the HP calculation, but every time I do, my computer carshes. The same thing is happening when I try to pen the Coast Guard site. I will try again from my work computer on MOnday.

John

as am i i have been makin some progress im actually removing a wall in my barn and just got power to it thur. so thats where my time has went i figured it would b nice to plug along on the boat and not have to worry about my unfinished work left out in the elements also gonna b nice runin a heater in my work place to stay warm

ok guys i am torn between two boat builds here either i want to build the boat out with a big tiler layout like a bankes or or i build a small console at the very front of the cockpit in center which gives me the option of building a pilot house for it that can b removable like the honker design i like the idea of riding up front for navigating in the dark but dont like being in the bow of the boat in rough water as it will be rougher than riding in the stern but will be harder to see in the dark while driving also . and the spray will b a little worse in a crosswind if sitting in the stern so im turning it over to all of u guys and ask wich u guys would prefer or i would love to here any diff ideas on if u were going to build this particular hull how u would lay it out thanks .

Chris, my vote is to turn it into a center console. Get the smallest most unobtrusive console you can find and stick it in there where you like. Don't put anything else in the whole boat. Just a floor and a console. This will leave the boat wide open to work in. If you need to sit down just bring some folding chairs with you. I feel that you will be much more comfortable navigating in a center console than a 20' tiller rig. The tiller is going limit your ability to see and will be awkward in rough water. There is no more user friendly set up than a center console. My next vote is for a side console. This will give you even more room to run around in the boat. I must admit that I've never even seen a 20 footer set up with a tiller before. So I don't have first hand experience with it. But, I'm thinking there is a reason I haven't run across one of these and it isn't because I don't spend a fair amount of time around boats.

Chris , punctuation marks please.Too hard to read without.It's kind of like you are talking in just one breath.Not judging you.I have an Aunt that talks like that.My Dad always said he never new anyone who could get so many words out in one breath.

Guys , sorry about my punctuation. i guess i text so much i have gotten really bad typing habits , and i will try to do better in the future.

Thanks for your input john i really appreciate it . i was thinking the same as u on the navagating advantages .
And the thought behind the tiller came from all of the bigger duck boats i have seen with side console way in the back . I figured with the newer tillers there is really no big difference in the two. But the more i think about it the more i am torn between the two. Do u think there is a big difference in a side consloe in the stern vs. tiller ?

Back