How are you preparing your duckboat for Hurricane Irene?

CGeminski

I took everything out of my boat and plan on filling it with water to make it heavier. Still debating whether to keep it on the trailer, or lay it on the grass in the backyard well away from any trees that could fall on it.

I will be putting the cockpit covers on, strapping down the dodger and pulling it along the back of the house where the house will protect it from any falling trees.... I'll park my truck next to it as well to get both out from any potential trees. I am thinking I should bring all the tools from the boat shop into the garage, and remove the tents from their frames. The layout boat will be tied down.... just don't have enough protected out of the weather places for everything. I am inland plenty, won't get any real water issues, and am high too. It will be wind and rain I have to deal with, and we will certainly lose power, always do in an old neighborhood with above ground utilities.

I was going to pressure wash it this weekend prior to some touch up painting. May just set it outside in the driveway instead . . . . . ;)

Snowgoose is coming out of the barn and into the garage, which is 8' concrete foundation on 2 sides (vs the pole barn).

Last edited:
I'm throwing my anchor into the sand and praying that Irene takes a drastic turn to the left and heads straight west. As long as she dumps on west Texas and all of New Mexico, that is all I am hoping for.
Al

Frank, in-laws just moved to Summerville just NW of you, has the storm passed you at this point? Satellite suggests it might have?

My duck boat is tied to the trailer and secure at my house where it is clear of any high water. I hauled the tender last night and the dive boat this morning before work.
We have 4 travel lifts running and 5 large fork truck hauling and blocking boats at a rate of 25 boats an hour. They are still arriving at the marina faster than we can haul them out. With over 10 acres of storage it is filling up fast.

My duck boat is tied to the trailer and secure at my house where it is clear of any high water. I hauled the tender last night and the dive boat this morning before work.
We have 4 travel lifts running and 5 large fork truck hauling and blocking boats at a rate of 25 boats an hour. They are still arriving at the marina faster than we can haul them out. With over 10 acres of storage it is filling up fast.

I was thinking of you at the marina John - good luck! I'm sure Bob is busy too.

T

Best of luck to you John! See you on the other side, looking forward to getting together with you for a hunt this fall. Come out in September with me for some False Albacore fishing!

Dave, very little wind and rain. I guess less than 1" has fallen. I'm at the coast on Wadmalaw Island. We've had a few gusts that have reached 30 mph maybe. I lost the top out of one tree. The wood peckers will be sad.. it was completely rotted. I've been under my shed wing working on a rig of ring necked decoys and have enjoyed the day. Wife went to the library with the kids, but it was closed. We did hear that north of us some power lines were downed, but it has been really quite here. Take care, Frank

Thanks Todd,
cleared our docks yesterday and today. Tomorrow we get a few stragglers.
Hope to get my lawn furniture off the lawn so it does not go thru the neighbors windows.
50 will do that in my yard.
Good luck to all.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.
We will be back at it again tomorrow morning at sun up and will continue till we can't do or fit any more boats. Our guys were breaking there balls big time today and boy oh boy does it show. We went from an almost empty yard to packed in just two days.

Bob B - I'm sure you guys were running like dogs also. Hang in there, one one more day then its clean up and start kicking them back in the water. I just hope the docks and equipment make it through the storm ok.

I just hope the barrier beaches hold up. We don't need any new inlets around her.
Good luck to everyone

I emptied the boat shop/tent of all the tools, took the bulbs out of the lights, rolled up all the doors and windows so the wind can blow right through. Same with the tent that the sneakbox sleeps in. The sneakbox is behind the house, when the storm hits, I'll park my truck next to the sneakbox to protect it from flying debris and trees, though I don't expect anything to fall in that part of the yard.... out front is another concern....

Pulled the tender (24' Grady) yesterday. May go back to the ramp today just to watch the last minute chaos. The boats are safely in the garages, not sure where my wife gets to park. We'll be on the east side of the storm, should be pretty well blown out by the time she hits us, but forecasts for gusts to 70 here. The worst of the rain will be to the west of us. Fill those beaver ponds back up!

Moved all my boats to the center of the yard away from all the trees. Have good chocks under the tires, covers ratched down tight, nose high, and plugs out.

dc

Covered by homeowners if it is in the yard right? At least that is what I am going with. Wind is not bad yet here in Raleigh but it is building. Hope the decoy shed goes unharmed!

Chris,

The forecast is not looking so good. I hope we still have some barrier beaches left to protect the main land. Fire Island is already getting hammered.
It's times like this that makes you think about living on an Island.

Forecast:
TONIGHT
TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED WITH HURRICANE
CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. E WINDS 30 TO 40 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 KT...
INCREASING TO 40 TO 50 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
SEAS 5 TO 8 FT...BUILDING TO 15 TO 20 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT. RAIN WITH
ISOLATED TSTMS. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

SUN
HURRICANE CONDITIONS EXPECTED. SE WINDS 50 TO 70 KT...
BECOMING W IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 20 TO 25 FT...BUILDING TO 25 TO
30 FT IN THE AFTERNOON. RAIN. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

Last edited by a moderator:
John,
hang in there. I sure hope you guys have a easier ride than what they are calling for.
We hauled every boat in the yard in three days. Only a handful of folks decided to stay in the water or go up the CT river. Should be an interesting night to say the least.

I sure hope Capt Jack has the Windy tied up well. A 6 to 8 foot surge gets to the tops of most of my pilings.

Jack if you read this send our best to the guys on the A team.

Back