How do you tell your dog about---

Al Hansen

Chip is only 7 months old. How do I tell him about "Post Duck Season Blues", when he is thinking about this?
Al

_MG_7620_zpsdd92f7d2.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_7621_zps7de032ea.jpg
[/URL]

_MG_7622_zps3717c0e2.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_8535_zpse02b70e7.jpg
[/URL]

Nice Pics Al but it would seem that Chip's owner might have a touch of the post season blues also. I never had much problem telling my dog that the season was over. The real difficult issue is trying to explain Daylight Savings Time as the reason his dinner is an hour early or late. He never minded an early dinner in his life but never trusted the time change as the reason it was late.

Fortunately for me I live and hunt in Ohio, and the dog does not have an opportunity to generate so many happy moments. In fact, they tend to be relieved when I am no longer dragging them into the cold and wet for what appears to be no reason at all.

Al....How do you get such awesome pictures. Do you literally throw your gun in the mud while grabbing a camera or do you shoot with the darn thing strapped around your neck! I love the determination Chip shows being a dog that young.

Poor pup. Tell him it's only 7 months until teal season and get him a little kid to play with.

Tim

I'm betting a thrown bumper, a nice stuffed animal to chew, or a chunk of meat that falls to the kitchen floor might perk him up.

Nice Pics Al but it would seem that Chip's owner might have a touch of the post season blues also. I never had much problem telling my dog that the season was over. The real difficult issue is trying to explain Daylight Savings Time as the reason his dinner is an hour early or late. He never minded an early dinner in his life but never trusted the time change as the reason it was late.

Well, Pete, when you said, "a touch", I think maybe a bit more than that. Daylight saving time makes me think of the dairy farmers in Wisconsin when they first came out with it. I guess it finally worked---
Al

Fortunately for me I live and hunt in Ohio, and the dog does not have an opportunity to generate so many happy moments. In fact, they tend to be relieved when I am no longer dragging them into the cold and wet for what appears to be no reason at all.

Kevin, I had no idea that it was that bad.
Al

That's what dog dreams are for, He'll have plenty to run and woof about in the off season.

I enjoyed this, Tom. Bev and I watch him when he is having a dream and always wonder what he is dreaming of. That last duck hunt, maybe?
Al

Al....How do you get such awesome pictures. Do you literally throw your gun in the mud while grabbing a camera or do you shoot with the darn thing strapped around your neck! I love the determination Chip shows being a dog that young.

Well, Ed, for a long time I pondered if I should or shouldn't, then one day decided to bring my good camera. I bought a very good ammunition bag from Cabela's that I use in transporting my camera and lenses. When in the blind, if I have Chip with me and he sits on my right side, then the camera goes on the left side of my chair. When it gets light enough I then put the camera on top of the bag or will hang it off a strong branch where it is readily available.
On most retrieves I can be taking pictures of my dogs as they are just about to get the duck. Then can focus in on the return trip with the duck.
As for these shots, this was the second duck when I shot a double and it was much easier to be ready.
My goal with this camera is to be taking pictures of incoming ducks, then put the camera down and pick up my shotgun to shoot one. I have done that only once which was back in 2007. The older I get the more difficult this seems to get. However, I still have fun trying.
Al

Depression setting in all around the country, Al. I see Chip has located a comfortable, warm place to "suffer" as has mine.

She looks like that is "the" spot where she can think about all those Canadas that she brought back to you. The wood heat has to be wonderful, Bob. Do you have a small wood furnace in your shop, also?
Al

He should be rearing to go next season with all those sweet dreams.

Dave, I'll look forward to our next season. It will be interesting how he does. We will be working hard on this off season to do some "fine tuning".
Al

Poor pup. Tell him it's only 7 months until teal season and get him a little kid to play with.

Tim

Before I forget, Tim, when will the second installment of pictures be coming from you on those adorable puppies?

Now, Chip will survive and as for finding that kid, I have two coming over to the house in about a month to do some socializing with the new-borns. Maybe one of them will play with him.
Al

I'm betting a thrown bumper, a nice stuffed animal to chew, or a chunk of meat that falls to the kitchen floor might perk him up.

You nailed it, Jeff. All three work wonders especially the last one. Yesterday I was making a ham sandwich to take with me when I went out to cut wood and decided see if he still remembered the word, "Gentle". He did! I still have all five fingers on my right hand after I gave him a piece of meat.
Al

Back