Hunting Dog

lmckin1800

I have been thinking about getting a duck dog. I have always had a deal with my friend I have the boat he has the dog. However, my hunting friend moved away. I was wanting some input on dogs.

I primarily duck hunt in Texas but also do some quail and dove hunting. Can you get a dog that will retrieve both ducks and help with quail? Is one breed better than another?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I am of course biased but I would recommend 2 different breeds . 1. Wire haired pointing griffon. I am owned by one and she's great. an upland pointer and waterfowl retreiver. Mine loves and I mean loves retreiving doves. She's not as cold tolerant as a lab but you are in Texas not Michigan. She's a great companion dog as well. They run 45-65 lbs mines 55. 2. If you wan't something smaller an American Water Spaniel would be worth a look. Its a flushing breed not a pointer and very intelligent and versatile.
DSCF0549_1_2_1_1_2_1.JPGDSCF0010_3_1_1_1.JPGPC140009_1_1.JPG

There are "Pointing Labs". I have one. I've never shot a quail with her (I've never shot a quail, period.) Anyway her daddy pointed quail, and was reputable very good at it, to the point where it was at times a problem during field trials. He would go out on a long retrieve, and would freeze somewhere along the way because he had found a quail. My dog came from a kennel in Phoenix, OR.

Ed.

I hunt both upland and duck. I am a zero expert on dogs, I am just providing my perspective as a civilian hunting dog owner.

My lab Sunny is an excellent upland and duck dog - she could be better (blind retrieving and bringing the game to hand at heel are her weak spots), but that's my fault not hers.

Sunny is an English lab which is code for a brick on legs. She's stout and warm weather is her cryptonite. A "Southern" lab, lighter, faster with more "wind" would be preferable for upland. My dog conks out after an hour of locating, pointing and retrieving upland birds. We rest a lot when there are lots of birds.

We just acquired an American Water Spaniel, he's just a pup, but I got him based on the AWS's reputation as a fine upland and waterfowl dog. I'll report on his progress this coming season. You may want to research this breed. I wanted an AWS because of their size -- about 35-45 lbs. Very manageable in a small boat. I'm not a limit-out guy with 3 other friends in the boat, so retrieving my 2-4 ducks in a tough marsh or water environment is easily doable.

Above all, make sure you find a dog that'll get along with you and the family. My dog(s) is my friend and companion. I want a hunter for sure, but I also want a dog who makes me laugh and plays well with my kids & wife.

Good luck, it's a fun journey.

I too am looking for the type of dog you are looking for. I have come across a Pudelpointer. They look alot like a wirehaired pointer except they are all brown. They are very intelligent, point, retrieve, blood track, and are supposed to be great house companions. They are a little tougher to come by since they are somewhat rare. Here is the breeder in Idaho that I am considering. www.cedarwoodgundogs.com. Let us all know what you decide on.

yes, there are dogs that dog both. Based on what I know of Texas quail, I would assume you are looking for a pointing breed. I would start your research looking at NAVHDA, Deutch Kurzhaars and Drahthaars. In the World of "Versatile" dogs there are many breeders focusing on one aspect, show, feild trials or something else, not trully "Versatile". In my opinion to get the best dog possible you need to look at the clubs I listed as they are breeding based on dogs performing in water and field. In the case of the latter two clubs, fur and tracking as well

Keep in mind breeds with wooly or longer coats are not going to be a great choice for your heat. I own a Drahthaar, he has a medium length coat and is at his best in the field under 50 degrees, 50-70 I need to get him wet periodically, but his coat is better suited for our winters. But there are breeders in our club that tend to produce dogs with shorter coats that do better than mine in the heat.

good luck in your search

Bill

Larry, in my opinion, and i think there are many who would agree with me, a labrador retriever is an all around great dog for retieving waterfowl and upland bird hunting. In the uplands, Labs (black, yellow or chocolate) are flushing dogs, that is, they should hunt close to you, quarter in front of you from side to side searching for game, and then flush it for you..and they should be steady when the bird is flushed and retrieve only after you send him to retrieve. at least, that's a perfect world. The most important thing to remember when selecting a dog, no matter what breed you choose, it to get one whose parents have proven hunting instict. buy a dog directly from a kennel who is in the business of breeding hunting dogs..don't get one from a neighbor who knows someone who has an extra puppy. there are lots of labs out there with no real desire to hunt...and if you're not going to be doing field trials, stay away from those skinny little hyper labs who can't sit still in the boat or blind. Also, it's important to get your dog trained properly, unless you want a dog that breaks everytime you shoot your gun. That means force-fetched (now called trained retrieve) and tought to "mark" and "handle". Dude, I envy you! Enjoy the journey...and stay away from chocolate labs, they're goofy.

Hey Larry, my chocolate is going to be pissed when she reads that remark ; )

The final comment on dogs is that no matter what you get, you'll love it.

Thanks guys for all the input...With all this info I think I am back to where I started. A black lab...

I am going to admit that I have no idea how to train a dog to retrieve. Where would be the best place to purchase a dog ready to go and any idea of an approx price?

Thanks,

Larry

I second BillS. Except, if you think his dog is handsome, it is a 'pig' compared to my recently departed female.

All joking aside, most Americans couldn't spell versatile dog until it has recently become a buzz word. The Europeans invented it out of necessity, and have spent over 100 years perfecting the concept.

If you want the benefits of such research and development, go to the Continental breeds. Many of us have already, and most will never go back.

Some things to keep in mind are personality and 'type'. Bill's as with my dog were unmistakeably Richthof. The Germans have a interesting standard that allows a bit of flexibility in color, coat length, etc. and some dogs look quite different, even though they have very good conformation and coat. And, as with type, some kennels/lines have distinct personalities (some aloof sp?, some very personable, and everything in between).

I personally don't think you will find a more intelligent dog or on the overall a better nose than some of the versatiles. And, I think that is because for about 100 years, they have been tested and bred to a standard that requires a good 'snoot'.

Good luck with your search.

Regards,

Bob

Larry,

I'll second the lab suggestion. But, any dog of many breeds can serve you well. At retrievertraining.net you can find litters listed, many people from Texas, clubs in Texas. Depending on the money you are willing to spend and time you have you might consider a started dog. More money up front but, also more of a "turn-key" dog.

Have fun,

Tom

man, I wanna pick your brain Bob, in a good way. :) I would even buy you dinner and beer at that german restraunt down the street I heard you like. I am fascinated with style and genetics of certain kennels, just wish it was written down somewhere.

can I ask a couple maybe dumb or ignorant questions? I have never hunted with a lab for anything, so I am just curious. I can see the benefit to a flushing dog on pheasants in the dakotas, but how do they do on quail? I understand with pheasants birds are moving and labs get into the scent tail goes crazy and busts them up, but quail don't move much. do you have any indication there are birds? I suppose its quite startling. are your shots longer? I have only hunted Kansas and we would be walking for days if the dogs didn't range past 50 yards.

Thanks

Go to working retriever central. All field trial,hunt test,and hunters there. Don't skimp on breeding after all your looking for the best hunting partner.
J.R.

don't you? By that I mean BEFORE he points you know he's working birds, right?....hunting upland with Labs is the same way...every dog gives off indications that he's working birds and after a few flushes you know when he's getting close...

I've hunted Quail, both Bobwhites in the south and all of the other species except Mtn. with Labs....as with Pointers you'll have varying degrees of success depending on the cover, the particular bird and the dog itself....for instance my first Lab, Thud, was an excellent Pheasant dog but he ranged too big to be a good Quail dog except when the birds were scattered and in thick cover. Buddy was an excellent Quail dog because I was able to keep him in close and also because he would freeze on singles and small groups and not jump in on them until I got up on him...Mike is more like Buddy but only has a couple of seasons under his collar. I've yet to see him "freeze" like Buddy does but he's the most biddable dog I've ever had so when I tell him "whoa" when he's obviously on a hot bird he will which allows me to catch up..

I've hunted over quite a few "pointers", including some very good GSP's and other "versatile" dogs and without bias, (even though I am a Lab owner and die hard supporter), I'll tell you that if I could have only one dog to hunt Quail with it would be Don Shearers little yellow lab bitch Aspen...I've never seen a dog that "knew" Quail like she does...when she needs to go big she does and when she gets on birds she slows down and waits for Don to catch up...she telegraphs when the birds are close and I've yet to be "startled" by a flush by her unless I wasn't watching her prior to the flush....if you're watching her you know where the bird is just as surely as if she was a rock solid pointer...

Getting long here so I'll try to be brief....In my experience pointy dogs will do a better job in the heat and also in open country...labs will do a better job when its not so hot and when the cover is thick....given the choice I'd take a Lab if I was hunting Valley Quail where I hunt them but would opt for a pointer if I was hunting Scaled Quail in Arizona....

So it all really depends on the individual bird, where you hunt them, what you prefer in a dog, and on the dog itself....

Worth every penny you spent to hear it....

Steve

Uncle Steve stop it you are making her blush. She also wanted me to point out your kind words all most makes up for never hooking up with you and Mike on a sea duck hunt this year (or any duck hunt for that matter) Almost makes up for it but not quite! But she forgives you and is looking forward to next year.

Just like Bo, Aspen knows quail...

Aspenquail.jpg

hands down, bar none, unequivocally, irrevobbly, without doubt, no doubt about it, no if's, and's or but's about it, THE MOST OUTSTANDING dead bird hunter that I have ever seen....

Why heck fire..I've seen that dog track a flying Quails shadow across a rock.....

And she's cute too.....to which Mike adds...."too bad she's fixed"...

Mike's pretty pissed off that we never made it over there for pheasants and huns....I promise we'll do a better job of scheduling next season.....which, BTW, is only 234 days from now....see you at the Quail spot OPENING DAY....although we cold shave 36 days off of that if you find some Doves, OR, if we meet somewhere for Grouse....

Mike's in the background chanting....MONTANA, MONTANA, I would like to see Montana......

Steve

Back