I Need to Vent

Eric Patterson

Staff member
Attic Venting Advice Sought. I've been making progress on the shop upstairs living space and now have the task of adding venting for the bathroom, range, and dryer. The attic immediately above has a ridge vent and a metal roof. I'm looking at three options. 1. Stove pipe everything to just under the ridge vent and let it find its way out of the attic (easiest to do but not what I 'd call a best practice). 2. Run ducting in the attic horizontally and out the gable (still fairly easy but leaves unsightly vents on the side of the building). 3. Cut holes in the roof and run duct up and out to vent to the outside (the roof is too steep for me to get up there and cut, install, and seal the holes. I'll have to hire this job out and have no idea who to call and it will probably be expensive.).

A couple things to note. The living space is a mere 360 square feet and meant for one person. This is a room that is actually in the attic formed with attic trusses. There is space to the sides and above but the roof edge is lower than the exhaust sources except on the gable ends.

Which option would you go with? Other ideas?

Last edited:
Attic Venting Advice Sought. I've been making progress on the shop upstairs living space and now have the task of adding venting for the bathroom, range, and dryer. The attic immediately above has a ridge vent and a metal roof. I'm looking at three options. 1. Stove pipe everything to just under the ridge vent and let it find its way out of the attic (easiest to do but not what I 'd call a best practice). 2. Run ducting in the attic horizontally and out the gable (still fairly easy but leaves unsightly vents on the side of the building). 3. Cut holes in the roof and run duct up and out to vent to the outside (the roof is too steep for me to get up there and cut, install, and seal the holes. I'll have to hire this job out and have no idea who to call and it will probably be expensive.).

A couple things to note. The living space is a mere 360 square feet and meant for one person. This is a room that is actually in the attic formed with attic trusses. There is space to the sides and above but the roof edge is lower than the exhaust sources except on the gable ends.

I'd probably go with option three if cost wasn't a concern. Going up and out the roof I think is always your best bet.

If you wanted to tackle it yourself I will go with option two and go out the gable end. They have some pretty nicely camouflaged vent options nowadays.

What is your exterior finish on the gable end?

Jode

It is metal siding and roof. Cost is a concern. I'm not even sure who does this type of work. Roofer? Electrician? Home repairman? Renovator? I think I need an estimate to really know which way to go. I'm game for doing 1 or 2 myself, but no way I'm doing 3.

I'd say option 2

My current house has clothes drier and shower vents out the roof (installed by builder) and I don't like it. Up here the snow piles over it and the heat and moisture makes a nasty cake on the lee side of the house where they are. I know you don't have the snow part of it, but I don't think I'd like it anyway. I am not looking forward to having to service them from the outside someday, and probably will hire it out. So far been trying to maintain from the inside, but only a matter of time...

My vote is go out the gable ends. Try use the shortest run possible especially for the dryer.

For the bathroom I’d actually just vent to tue attic. It’s not like you’re gonna have multiple people taking steaming hot showers everyday

Gable ends. I have metal roofs, I am always concerned about leaks once you go through the metal.

Jode

It is metal siding and roof. Cost is a concern. I'm not even sure who does this type of work. Roofer? Electrician? Home repairman? Renovator? I think I need an estimate to really know which way to go. I'm game for doing 1 or 2 myself, but no way I'm doing 3.
I would think with metal siding you could probably get something to fit in between the ribs pretty nicely. Then I would paint it to match the exterior. Given the parameters of the roof I think this would be the best option.

Jode

That's the way I'm leaning. I think I need three separate runs to dump into a plenum where the exhaust leaves the building to prevent the range exhaust from backtracking into the dryer. Checks valves would work too. Wouldn't want clothes smelling like dinner!

I like option 3. They make these kits that you install from inside the space.

Back