Is it a pirogue or a bateau ??

Here's the pirogue pronunciations I've heard. It seems to be based on whether you were raised North of I-10 or South of it. Most of my buddies have webbed toes from being raised South of I-10. LOL
Pee Rog
Pee Row
Pee Rogue
Peer Rog
Peer Row
Peer Rogue
You nailed it with the pronunciations Paul, all those are correct in Cameron Parish.

You nailed it with the pronunciations Paul, all those are correct in Cameron Parish.
I pulled out a photocopy of a book I've used for reference in the shop. I don't know if it's still in print but is a good source of information plus drawings of several boats meeting this configuration.

Attachments

• EE5381D8-92FC-4DAA-8221-C65213274E5F.jpeg
    EE5381D8-92FC-4DAA-8221-C65213274E5F.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 7
I pulled out a photocopy of a book I've used for reference in the shop. I don't know if it's still in print but is a good source of information plus drawings of several boats meeting this configuration.
I built a boat years ago from Gardners ,The Dory Book. The Canadian Light Batteau. Some years ago it was lost in the bottoms during high water. I found the boat a year later with a very damaged shear line. The easiest fix was to trim both sides down to 10 inches. so I turned the batteau into a big pirogue. This is a pic from last duck season.

Attachments

• 2EF68FC5-1BB0-4B8E-A299-38AD3E2FBE8F.jpeg
    2EF68FC5-1BB0-4B8E-A299-38AD3E2FBE8F.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 14
Dale is doing an incredible job teaching others about traditional Louisiana waterfowling from homemade decoys, calls, dugout pirogue, duck storage barrel, lanyards, etc. Very cool stuff. I fell in love with Louisiana 24 years ago. I gave up my mud motor several years ago and now hunt almost exclusively from a pirogue, occasionally from a marsh boat paddling and poling.
One of his latest posts, he's in a pirogue that is a different style (Catahoula)...it looked like a sweet ride right there....I think his son was in a restored dugout from the 1920's.

The Catahoula style is gorgeous...IMG_8989.JPG

Back