It's going to be tough... (puppy pics) Update 2/8

TimJ

It's going to be hard to make a decision but it's a nice problem to have.
2 1/2 weeks old now.

50867e28-3328-4f58-9305-b782a842390d_zps2644c323.jpg

These two are the females and are out of play for me. That leaves me just 5 males to pick from. The lighter colored female is a cute bugger.

3346729f-e07c-46b0-9061-5c414ca8992b_zpsb40ec727.jpg

This is the one I'm most drawn to right now but we will see how he develops in the next few weeks.

ceac3d70-88b7-4ea9-84da-a4f5823e03f8_zps188c6f36.jpg

This guy is going to be a chunk I think.

149dedc4-f6ae-4f17-bc0e-850eaebe0f26_zpsf1decf57.jpg

It might be a good idea to pick a pup that knows how to get comfortable.

db730ff1-7944-4807-9ade-05a7a6fdcb72_zps9e54c240.jpg

e9d09164-5bec-42fa-9839-c3ce9f25ced8_zps5cb235a2.jpg

They did get up and moved around a little.

1112e9e6-672d-4b4e-abd6-4afb7ab28988_zps4ed5989b.jpg

Mom kept a watchful eye... actually she was just waiting for a free hand to pet her. She is a very sweet dog.

9d7abf2c-be4a-4a6c-a579-605289fe0f83_zps6b183fa8.jpg

Grandma was a little more shy.

a3118753-ab00-4363-aca5-2a10a34d1fb6_zps8689f16e.jpg

It was nice to see the three generations together like that. Nice bunch of dogs.
Just 4 1/2 more weeks, that's it. :)

Tim

Last edited:
Great pics and really cute pups! Tough choice for sure. We think we felt a puppy tonight with our girl. Kind of excited about that myself. Love the puppy pics!

My of my, what a choice you have coming. What precious bundles of joy to be looking at. I was amazed to see their eyes open at 2 1/2 weeks. They look great, Tim.
You do know that there will be a bunch of us on this site that will be patiently waiting for the pictures when they are 4 weeks old, then when that little guy comes home with you and so on. You do get the drift--- By the way, are all of them spoken for now? You talked about the one boy pup who might be a chunk. How much does an average size male weigh?
Thanks for all of those great shots,Tim. Good luck!
Al

Tim,

Nice looking litter. Third generation that is really something. Tim did you line breed
or was it a outcross breeding?

Best of luck, Tom

Randall,
It would have helped narrow it down if a couple of them were ugly. ") I bet its exciting waiting for you own dog to have a litter.

Al,
I figured there wasn't much reason to see them until the eyes were open and they could move around a little. Underfed they are not.
With the reports coming in from the first breeding this litter sold fast and in fact I believe he is already done taking deposits on the next one. That one might be her last so I timed it right. His up and coming female is a solid liver good looking dog. She made the cover of Gun Dog Magazine a couple months ago.
The mother is about 60lbs and the male is just a bit lighter but longer legged.

Chris,
Yeah I don't see that as being easier. hahaha I couldn't imagine what a bunch of 10 or 12 week old pups could do.

Joe,
I wondered if you would recognize them. Yep Mya is a sweetheart of a mother and Gretta is a classy grandmother.

Mickey,
While Griffs do rock and Mya's head does look a little Griffish these are all German Wirehair. :) Fairly tight coat on the mother even though she looks a bit unkempt in the photo.

Thomas,
The breeder is a big fan of the German Donaueck line so they are pretty heavy in that. Here's the page with their pedigree. Click here Another generation or two back and you start to see some of the same names.

Bill,
Thanks. If it wasn't for you I probably would have settled for a half bald puppy by now. :)

Tim

I once heard someone who knew a lot more about training dogs than I will ever know say pick the breeding you want a dog from and then just choose a puppy.

Have fun,

Tom

I don't know tim.....I am kinda not looking forward to my litter, down to 6 weeks before she is due...but I never been through it so its the unknown that is a little scary.

BTW no problem I think you made right choice even though you had to wait.

Mickey,
While Griffs do rock and Mya's head does look a little Griffish these are all German Wirehair. :) Fairly tight coat on the mother even though she looks a bit unkempt in the photo.

Yeah I should have looked closer. I can see it now. She does look "griffish" in that pic tho until you look at her coat. Wirehairs were developed from Griffs.

Yep one of the four foundation breeds....we see the kurzhaar, pudelpointer, and stichelhaar mother lines, can't say I remember that griffin mother line in modern pedigrees.....

[*]Griffon was chosen for it calmness and water love
[*]The Stichelhaar for bravery and tracking abilities.
[*]The Pudelpointer for the abilities of the Pointer as well as the high degree of intelligence and sporting abilities of the Poodle.
[*]The German Shorthaired Pointer (Deutsch Kurzhaar) to intensify the pointing instincts
Yep one of the four foundation breeds....we see the kurzhaar, pudelpointer, and stichelhaar mother lines, can't say I remember that griffin mother line in modern pedigrees.....

Within the drahthaar we still track these four foundation dogs through our mother lines. They really don't bring the particular traits with them, after 100 years the traits are really just universal with the breed. I am not sure if the gwp(akc) track that information.

Very exciting Tim! It is a special thing.

I didn't comment, but I really liked your pheasant feather watercolor. Very nice.

Bill I'm sure Brandee will do fine... and you will stress out. :)
I'm sure the AKC doesn't keep track of the motherlines. The Wirehair Alliance doesn't keep track but that doesn't mean that many of them don't know what it is. Heck many of Funke's dogs in Idaho were born to DD parents. Lots of DK and PP lines I believe in those dogs.

Tom I think you are right. Even the breeder said the 'best' dog could be the first, middle or last one picked, it doesn't seem to matter that much. He had one guy get all upset he got the 'leftover' and that dog went on to be a NAVHDA VC.

Thanks Tod. I've been doing some different paintings lately... I think to keep my mind off of it only being 4 weeks and 2 days left until P-Day.

Tim

Tim I had to wait until the two little girls were at school to open this thread. If not we would have had to discuss each puppy and then research the breed of dog. Great looking pups

Back