It's November, what's on your workbench

Hank Yorke

Production has really slowed with the addition of #2 back in October. The change from 0 to 1 child was not as significant as 1-2 children... :) It sure is fun though.

I am rehabbing a 6 bird rig of Coastal Mag LL Bean Black ducks, and additional 2 Standard Coastal Bean Blacks, and finishing paint on a couple of fronds.

Here is the pintail frond so far. My first pintail of any medium...
27c9a629.jpg

Quick and dirty, BSC coot...

D624ECAE-D3F6-4B58-9AED-A824DAAD79B2-9576-000016A78E94FFAB.jpg

Cut out last weekend, carved Thursday, Primed and base coated Friday, Details and keel on Saturday, hunted Sunday:

4D816C51-F732-4FD7-91E8-DDA3E997F92B-9576-000015BAD832E4E3.jpg

1 to 2 isn't a doubling, it's a square function. Each kid is on it's own schedule and it's impossible to sync. with both kids at once.

Started these three or four years back, hope to get them done by the Brant opener. Rehabbing BSC that I originally made primitive geese decoys with back in the mid 80's before I had any idea what I was doing. I did shoot some geese over them but commercial plastic replaced them fairly quickly, and they sat in the shed for the next 15 years.

View attachment carve8.jpg

Tail boards, new heads and a bit more shaping.
View attachment BrantRigInProcess.JPG

I'm thinking a brown wash to tone down the feather pattern, then neck patches and it's on to sealing the bottoms and keel manufacturing.

Scott

Euro wigeon and a pair of mallard's. Hollow cedar and oils. Got the mallards wet yesterday :).

CIMG5232.jpg

CIMG5225.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few of the calls I finished up this weekend;

maple-burl-1.jpg

maple-burl-2.jpg

These are both acrylic stablized Big Leaf Maple Burl with African Blackwood inserts.

ironwood-2.jpg

ironwood-1.jpg

A couple of my favorites, Arizona Ironwood Burl, also African Blackwood inserts.

olive-2.jpg

Olive-1.jpg

A couple of Jerusalem Olive calls.

pair of hollow cedar and paulonia surf scoters--Will send pics when done to daveski-perhaps he will post for the old jedi!

Just came back from the Easton Tailgate show, I had a fun time and saw a few DHBP members. It's always a fun time and lots of good eating done over the two days.

Anyhow, finished up the Brant and thought that sleepy, twisty neck it would make all my Chiropractor friends happy ;>)

Last edited:
very cool snakey look Jode!

Some spalted Missouri basswood that will hopefully resemble some mallards when completed. Have to hollow two and glue tomorrow.

C95A1027.jpg

tom, i love where you are going lately. love the neck angle and the bill. I think you are real close to Modin style decoy

jeff

very cool snakey look Jode!

Some spalted Missouri basswood that will hopefully resemble some mallards when completed. Have to hollow two and glue tomorrow.

C95A1027.jpg

Thanks Jeff. Sensei Schupp has helped me a lot. I know I still aggrevate him with some of the stuff I do on a bird, but I believe it is less than it used to be.

I think this is a new personal record as I have already started the pool rig:

030ACB05-BA53-4C43-A338-3EAF7C33221C-1948-000003651C1B0BEC.jpg

And a swan to be raffled at THE Ohio decoy show:

01589614-992B-42CD-B4B6-BD9465E12CDC-1948-00000365854E6B68.jpg

Back