July -- What's new on your workbench?

David Palmer

Since I haven't posted on this thread in a long time, I'll be the first to start off July's "What's new on your workbench?" Here are two woodies out of six that I just finished up. They were my first attempt at wood ducks and it took FOREVER to get the side pocket color to my satisfaction on the hen. Guess I was thinking too hard when I mixed color after color to get the correct shade. Wound up using medium beige for the body straight from the bottle. The saying is true, "Keep it simple, stupid!

[inline woodducks1.JPG]

View attachment woodducks1.jpg

Not my workbench, but my daughter and her 2nd place Can from the Delta competition.
10458130_10202200398107589_6674498454316771413_n.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well I bet Dad's smile is even bigger

that is a very nice decoy-

2nd??!! What could have beaten that? Very nice... will she hunt it with you?
Thank you Rick . Allison appreciates the compliment.

Thanks Dave. She absolutely loves carving and I think kids are naturally more open minded than most adults. She will hunt with it this fall and is hoping to bag her first duck. She was thrilled even to place as she had no expectations at all entering. Next year bird is a east coast favorite......so she is looking forward to that.....thanks , I am very proud , Jode

Last edited:
David,
Nice looking woodducks.

Jode,
Congrats to you daughter its a great decoy.

Here is my start of of the month. I made this for my cousin's first child. Its weighted internally so it self rights no one likes a duck that won't float correctly in the tub! When he is done playing with it I intend to encourage him to bring it along on his first hunt. I bet the orange really brings the birds in!!! I should have lots of decoys coming off the paint bench this month if the storms ever stop and work ever slows down.

2014-06-30-Baby-Decoy-015.jpg

Todays project was a workbench. Just have to bolt down the vice and some small odds and ends. Then i get to fill it with decoys.

20140702_190719.jpg

Jode

That is really cool. Congrats to your daughter. That is one nice looking can and the smile on her is precious.

Allison says thank you to everyone. It will be fun to float it and hunt, now if we only had Cans around my neck of the woods....LOL!

Brandon....cute little duck!

Here is last month's Killdeer in full paint. The Williamsburgh oils are working well for me. Although I seldom use true blacks, I mixed Mars and Ivory for the banding on this bird.

smKilldeerII-d_zps88344c6d.jpg

smKilldeerII-b_zps5a5a96e6.jpg

I am happy with this posture - it provides interesting views from all angles.

smKilldeerII-back_zpsaf475214.jpg

Lots of curves on a Killdeer - and fun to try to pull them all together.

All the best,

SJS

Jode - Allison did good! The fruit doesn't fall to far from the tree... Hopefully she will keep that Canvasback in her own rig for a long time, and sooner or later a nice big Bull Can will show up.

Steve,

Elegant paint job on that killdeer. Beautifully done! I love that blending on the tail.

Steve that killdeer is a piece anyone would want in their collection. Excellent piece and truly inspiring for at least myself. Willamsburg is my favorite paint in oil, I got a cool black with it using BU and a purple, created some nice depth over tube black.

Tom~

Thanks for the kind words.

I typically get my blacks - for the depth - from raw umber and ultramarine blue. I will have to try some purple. I used the blacks here just because they were often next to a dark umber and they were in small patches.

All the best,

SJS

Rich, RC, Dave & Pat~

Thanks for the kind words. I'm now working on my first Mourning Dove - putting together some non-waterfowl for a local farmland conservation fundraiser later this year.

All the best,

SJS

Back