July -- What's new on your workbench?

The only good park duck is a dead park duck. :)
11x14 Dead Mallard in acrylics.

mallardhanging1_zps1967fceb.jpg

Tim

Nice. I've got lots of things on the go right now, but none of them are on my workbench because its piled high with all kinds of junk.

Step 1 of a bunch of smoked fish...

View attachment DSCF0968.jpg

A driveway sign for a friend.

View attachment R-DSCF0969.jpg

Cleaned up a deer that was killed by wolves in the winter.

View attachment DSCF0970.jpg

Planning to chop this guy up for knife handles. A friend picked it for up me in Inuvik, it originally came from Banks Island.

View attachment DSCF0972.jpg

Cleaned a black bear skull for a guy.

View attachment DSCF0973.jpg

Last edited:
Cleaned some lynx skulls.

View attachment DSCF0974.jpg

Some wolf skulls.

View attachment DSCF0979.jpg

Fixing Jane's deck. Mac got a job helping some guys build a house this summer, so he's showing this old guy how to build things properly.

View attachment DSCF0978.jpg

I don't think I showed you guys these knives yet. Very sexy set. Dall sheep horn and bacote wood.

View attachment DSCF0982.jpg

So even though I'm neck deep in half finished projects and Jane gets back from visiting family down south next week, am I going to knuckle down and get these things finished? Heck no! Four days of fly fishing for pike starts tonight!

Hope everyone is having a fun summer so far. Sheep season starts in 13 days, Mac and I fly in to a secret spot on the 30th for 10 days. Much prep to do on that one too.

Mike

All~

Here is my first Mourning Dove - for a local farmland conservation fundraiser later this year. It's Basswood and oils ("leg" is brass and base is White Pine).

smMourningDove3_zps80d2cbc3.jpg

Although I purposefully chose a plain-vanilla posture - which I now regret - I did enjoy painting the many subtle hues. I exaggerated the colors a bit - maybe this one has some Passenger Pigeon or even Wild Turkey genes.....

smMourningDove2-closeup_zpsc50a4a15.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Very nice dove, Steve. I like the way the base kind of echoes the form of the bird. Brass stick up is a nice touch as well.
Been busy with home projects (repainted my garage and re-did all the storage & shelving). Also have been busy with the initial meetings for my Ward / NEA class. I have managed to start a few birds and get some more calls done. Here's another nice set in the "inlay series" (English walnut):
View attachment inlayset 003.jpg
Close up of the inlay on the goose call:
View attachment inlayset 010 (600 x 499).jpg

Steve....another beautiful bird..your paint is so subtle....you accomplish more with a simple shadow than many people do with hours of individual feather burning and "paint every barbell" pieces...beautiful to see..
Where am I going to need to send my Factor to make sure these beauties have a chance of finding their way to my house?......

Steve

Steve~

Thanks for the kind words. My exploration with oils on carvings has been fun - and it's nice to hear that I am hitting my marks every once in awhile.

All the best,

SJS

some fantastic ART this month in many forms.

finished this little racer up today in the paint room. Has been way to nice outside to sit and paint until today. He is headed to complete a trade with some jack-leg Illinois guy. Hollow bass and oil will keel when he is cured out.

hooded_zpsc8e29f1d.jpg
[/URL]

Thanks Tim, glad to see you painting. That mallard may be my favorite painting you have done and not just because I shoot a lot of them ;).

Here is a bird I finished up last night to match a drake I did last month or so. Both of them were "practice" birds to see if I really liked this new vermiculation technique. So far I really like it but need to keep working with it. Hollow bass and oil.
henBB_zps0336126f.jpg
[/URL]

Jim make sure he puts it half way down the second line out on the right hand side of the layout. Ill make sure to "Patina" it. You know so it looks like a real gunner.

Back