Lead source for anchors, etc

MLBob Furia

I had a occasion to do a lot of pours in keels for self-righting frond decoys this week, and took this picture for those of you who pour your own decoy anchors or melt lead to self-right the decoys you make. Used to be, i could get all the free used tire weights I wanted at tire dealers - not so anymore.

However, if you know someone who works as a lineman for a utility company, see if he can get you some remnants of old lead-sheathed cable that they have dug up to replace. Less labor intensive than separating out the junk from the tire weights and a small amount of cable sheathing will yeild a bunch of lead.

View attachment JHTeal 001 (600 x 399).jpg

View attachment JHTeal 000.jpg

Last edited:
Bob, thanks for the tip. You are right about tire weights being more difficult to get. I also contact plumbers who replace showers with the one piece molded style. Old showers were lined with sheet lead, and while not heavy enough as is for large decoys, it can be re-melted.

Thank you, Bob, for the tips. About ten days ago I went to the tire shop to see if I could get some lead weights. The owner had no problem with saying, "Go ahead and take what you need," but he did say this. "I can't believe how much I get for lead these days." He told me that the price has really skyrocketed.
Al

Thanks Bob, that's a source I hadn't thought about.
If you see a lot of water lines being replaced in old parts of town see if you can get in good with someone. It would probably shock people to know there are still lead water lines out there. They usually aren't too long and are replaced as work is done near them. A 10 or 20 foot pipe will keep you in keels for a long time. It's good lead for muzzleloaders and stuff like that too.

Tim

Hey Bob, that is a great source. I will say while you are talking to the linemen, have them watch for the old 2 strand telephone wire, best wire around for making your own mushroom anchors as the wire is NICELY coated and durable. We had a buddy pick up 2 MILES of it for us, I guess we are set.

One other source for nice lead is if you have any guys doing any medical buildings, the xray rooms have to be lead shielded. They buy drywall with double sided lead. Joke is, they only need one side, so the guys rip off the other side. I have gotten a ton of lead that way. All virgin lead, no antimony like tire weights.

Back