Leg 2 of Jarhead's great adventure

Time for the next update on Jarhead. He has been hunting hard in the rain. He running with a rough crew. This gang includes the either former or current waterfowl biologists from Alaska,Washington, Oregon and California. Combined there was almost 150 years of combined waterfowl management experience in the boat today.

E700B6E7-06D1-411E-9FAA-7F5BBCC0EAD6-3334-0000044814DACCA8.jpg

Despite torrential rains we managed to take 20 scaup and one surf scoter. It's was a fun day with 5 of us all taking birds.
8ECC7101-7D6E-410F-B6BC-781E24A22AC1-3334-0000044AB6F5340C.jpg

When we got home Jarhead found some new troops lined up to join his platoon. Four of Pat Gregory's birds showed up. Two from his Mud Lake rig and two cork birds. In addition to the Geoff Vine scaup I added a surf scoter from Brad F. The troops quickly planned an ambush based on the new intel and increased troop strength.

EB4ECD78-956F-4352-927A-5C7D9AE8EC54-3334-00000440CBC4B0E6.jpg

In real time the platoon is currently deployed and have fooled a few winged cousins again today. This Jarhead's last Washington assignment before migrating to Iowa tomorrow. Well done Jarhead, it's been a blast.

1AD65D30-E334-47BC-90F3-F361E2DBF4B3-3334-00000440EE43A92C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad - Tremendous post! Glad the birds made it safely. Hopefully they'll lure lots of unsuspecting scaup within gun range for you. I appreciate your commitment to this fine fowl.

Pat Gregory
Illinois Waterfowler and Decoymaker
"My Greenhead has a blue bill."

Brad

Holy crap Jarhead is having a great trip. He's getting to meet folks that have spent their lives helping his his feathered friends. Cool stuff.

Eric

Pat, I love the action your Mud Lake birds have in the current. They swim, they move almost constantly. Another 20 scaup were fooled by the rig today. I have two very tired dogs. Jarhead is bundled up with good memories and ready to go airborne (or maybe ground) tomorrow.

It is amazing. I think one of the prerequisites of becoming a waterfowl biologist is that you must know how to shoot. Not good, but damn good. Glad to see everyone had a great day.
Al

Thanks Brad! I appreciate the kind words. I had my puddler rig in a pothole at our club. There were 20mph winds out on the big lake but was perfect back in the pothole. The entire rig of 50+ birds were moving and fussin... One of the benefits of handmade decoys. Nothing moves like'em... Glad you enjoy them. The pattern for those decoys is a real piece of history. I'm guessing Henry Taubert did those bills in the 1920's... Still works... Take care, shoot straight and God bless! Pat

Wish I could be there for the retirement "blast", but I do wonder how its going to be different from the present "work" that you do. Wanna head to the sw coast in January?

Working full throttle on the east coast (not too far north of you), will go to the PNW if I get finished in time. Planning another trip to the land of Brant and Pacifico Cerveza in Feb and sure hope I can finish by then ....

Back