LI Decoy Collectors Show - Saturday, March 7, Hauppauge

Steve Sanford

1WhenBBKingcoverimage_zpsa1a8dbbe.jpg

All~

This is the Show that Craig Kessler and I - and bunch of other veteran gunners from Great South Bay - have been toiling over for the past year. Here is the press release and some photos to get you excited. As you will note, we will be selling a DVD with both the 87-minute documentary When the Broadbill was King on Great South Bay and over 300 vintage photos. I will be posting about that separately. It'll be $10 at the Show and $20 through the mail. I have already started a list of duckboats.net members who want a copy.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Long Island Decoy Collectors Association Annual Show[/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif] [/font][/font]​

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif]Craig Kessler [/font][/font]​
[font=Arial, sans-serif] ckesslerducks@gmail.com [/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif] 516-639-8480
[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif] Steve Sanford[/font][/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]sjaysanford@gmail.com[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]518-677-5064[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]mailto:sjaysanford@gmail.com[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]mailto:sjaysanford@gmail.com[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Arial, sans-serif]T[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]HEME[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]: [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]WHEN the BROADBILL was KING on GREAT SOUTH BAY[/font][/font]​

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]E[/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]VENT DATE: [/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]S[/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]aturday[/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif], March [/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]7[/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif], 2015[/font][/font]​

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]EVENT LOCATION: IBEW Hall #[/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]25, [/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]370 [/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]Motor Parkway, [/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]– Hauppauge, LI, [/font][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]NY[/font][/font]​

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Tahoma, sans-serif]INFORMATION: [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]www.lidecoycollectors.org[/font][/font]​

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif]The history of market hunting for waterfowl has been told many times. What has yet to be told, however, is the era that followed the demise of market hunting and its deadliest "tools" - the batteries and sinkboxes that were finally banned in the mid-1930s. For the next half-century, though, Long Island's Great South Bay still held hundreds of thousands of Broadbill (aka Greater Scaup) each fall and winter. And the many guides - who had first hunted for the market and then later "took out parties" of sportsmen and women – still hunted this grand bird. Their [font=Arial, sans-serif]big broadbill rigs had a large cabin boat to serve as the tender, often a[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]n[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] open stool boat to carry and handle just the decoys, and a "scooter" [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]to [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]replace the battery as the open water blind[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]. Gunners stayed warm on the tender - often around a stove with a hot mug of coffee or stew - and watched the rig while awaiting their turn in the scooter. [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]Th[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]is year's[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] Show will celebrate this exceptional era in American waterfowling – [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]which many Long Islanders can still recall from firsthand experience[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif].[/font][/font]​

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif]S[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]ince last spring, retired Ducks Unlimited Director Craig Kessler and former NYSDEC Waterfowl Biologist Steve Sanford have been leading a team of veteran duck hunters from Great South Bay. Together, they have been collecting stories, photographs, decoys, gear and even boats. [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]T[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]h[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]e special exhibit[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] will [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]showcase[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] many of the rigs from the wid[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]e o[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]p[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]en parts of [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]Great South Bay - from Patchogue in the east to Babylon in the west[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]. [/font][/font]​

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif]In addition to decoys from each rig, [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]the Decoy Collectors [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]display will include a couple of boats – [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]one an[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] original Dodge & [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]Krowl [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]"whaleback", a big screen with hundreds of [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]vintage[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]photographs[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] and [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]a[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]n 87[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]-minute documentary film. [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]You can see a teaser [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]for [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]When the Broadbill was King on Great South Bay[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]at: [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]https://vimeo.com/116558936 [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]A DVD with the documentary and over 300 slides will be available - [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]$10 [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]at the show and $20 later on by mail. [/font][/font]​

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif]T[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]he goal of this exhibit is to attract and inform waterfowlers from all over - and Long Islanders from all walks of life. [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]Anyone interested in l[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]ocal [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]families, maritime [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]history, [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]folk art and bay ecology will find something to learn and enjoy. And, [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]when not admiring the thousands of antique decoys and other collectibles [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]throughout the Show[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif], [/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]everyone can enjoy hot foods available from the landscape of Long Island and Great South Bay.[/font][/font]​

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif]E[/font][font=Arial, sans-serif]ND[/font][/font]​

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif]Here are a few images from the Slide Show:[/font][/font]​
9H5Caption-Horal-tender001_zpsa575326a.jpg

15Raynor91942_zps6b293f6f.jpg

13O4Oster36_zps04f88bad.jpg

14O19Oster24_zpsac10d8d7.jpg

10J42014-10-08202833_zps13ca53dc.jpg

6B4HeadingforlaunchCROPPED_zpsda64ca66.jpg

8B38storageaftertheshoot_zpsd0989e95.jpg

7B7BreakingiceEDITED_zps22988a3f.jpg

18W46Settingstool_zps8033a2cb.jpg

4W9Watts1-newdecoys1961_zpsbeab29e4.jpg

16W14Watts-Feb2005-CaptreeBridge_zps2899276d.jpg

2W13Watts-Feb2005-BroadbillRaft1_zps4df730b9.jpg

17W19Watts-Stoolingflock_zpsd56785fe.jpg

12M182009-01-04203552_zps6aadda9a.jpg
11BR8_zps52b12fb4.jpg

5B35easierpaintingbeforethetop_zps2636ad5a.jpg

HoralBROADBILL-Wuildfowler-paintedCAPTION5x7_zps7abbbfc3.jpg

3AV5SingleScooteramprig-KepVerbeke_zps25c622df.jpg

Finally - if you have not yet viewed the teaser - please do so at: https://vimeo.com/116558936 duckboats.net-member Anthony Babich - www.island-outdoors.com - is our videographer extraordinaire

Hope to see you there!​
SJS

[font=Tahoma, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]
[/font]​

great pictures - great to see someone keep that history alive,

are those booms in the first pic? almost looks like a deck gun - a tender converted to sub hunter

not sure where your post for the DVD list is - but add me to it please

Can't wait. I go to the show every year. Always a great time. It looks like it will be a fantastic exhibit. Please save me a copy Steve. Thank you.

Rufus and I along with another of our hunting partners are making a long day of it.... leave by 4am, should be rolling in around 10ish. Looking forward to the show, first time for 2 of us, I think Rufus may have been back a few years.

All~

I'm keeping a "Want DVD" list. Hope to see some at the Show - and others I will PM afterward to start the ball rolling.

Show is from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM. Let's hope it's good driving weather throughout the Atlantic Tidewater.

All the best,

SJS

Steve,
Those are some sweet looking tender boats. It just makes you smile when you look at them.
Thanks for posting. Please put me on the the list for a video.

Thanks, Tom

Dave, hope tp see you and Rufus at the show. Didn't get to meet you guys and talk the year before... Little mishap going overboard [cold]. I have a table, stop by and say hello...
Poor season this year and back problems, gotta get better...

If there is anyone going to the Strongesville show what would like me to bring them a copy of the DVD, you can PM me. I will be at the Strongesville show for Saturday.

Rich:
I will stop by to see how your season went. We did great on Geese, limits everyday in Jan. Fed. See you at ths show. Worked hard on Ducks with all the ice.

Steve & Greg:
I am very much looking forward to viewing your film. I am sure it will be the hit of the show. It will great to show our young & older hunters the Wildfowl Heritage here in L.I. in our back yard. Very much appreciate your efforts in producing this film.

Hi Rich, I have met your son Chris, and look forward to seeing you at the show. What kind of a table will you be having so I can look for you?

Back