LONG LINE CLIPS

I use these clips on my decoys and clip them to individual weights when I put them out - that way, the weights don't beat the decoys up.

I had a couple clips where the swivel would slide up and my solution was to put a small black zip tie around the the clip where the swivel sneaks through. Same basic principle as Huntindave posted above.

The most obvious solution is - don't use swivels. I probably have 150-200 long line clips rigged up and only have one with a swivel because someone gave it to me. My droppers NEVER twist up. They may get wrapped around the main line but twisting has never been a problem.

Un-swiveled are still available from Memphis Net & Twine for $.71/each in quantity: http://www.memphisnet.net/product/5148/swivels_net

or if you really want to screw around with swivels: https://secure.atagulf.com/cgi-local/webcat/products_page.cgi?reset=4139

The only place I have ever ordered clips is Memphis Net, haven't used Atagulf. Why anyone would mess around with swivels on long line clips is beyond me. Of course I'm one of those radicals that won't use messy tarred main line either much prefering 1/4" stiff diamond braid from Bob at Decoy Rigs.

atagulf is where I have bought almost all of mine.
They were about $50 for 100 shipped.
I checked with a bunch of places and they seem to be the cheapest, with Doctari being second best.
I use the small clips since I leave my decoys attached to the line.
If I was going to clip and unclip every time I hunted I would probably use a larger size.
I did buy one of those 48 packs from Cabelas and would not do it again.
After rigging a dozen decoys I found out that I had to bend the clips with a pair of pliers to get them to hold the line tight enough.
The rest of them I have been using to attach the anchors to the ends of the long lines.

Why anyone would mess around with swivels on long line clips is beyond me.
Pete, when we set long lines in the Great Inland the wind is what it is and the dekes, for the most part, seem to face the same direction for most of a day's hunt. Not a lot of twist potential. The tidal areas that Steve mentioned likely will have your decoys facing each of the cardinal directions at some point during the day as winds and tides collide. I've had my best knotty messes in tidal areas. Personally, I find the clips eliminate twist and prolong dropper life in any current.

Mark, have you tried crimping the clip eye a little tighter? I've had the swivels sneak past the gap on a few clips but problem solved with a pair of fencing pliers.

Last edited:
pete, have you ever had your rig in tidal waters? i presume not because you would definitely need swivels. twisting can be a real problem in serious current.

The most obvious solution is - don't use swivels. I probably have 150-200 long line clips rigged up and only have one with a swivel because someone gave it to me. My droppers NEVER twist up. They may get wrapped around the main line but twisting has never been a problem.

Un-swiveled are still available from Memphis Net & Twine for $.71/each in quantity: http://www.memphisnet.net/...uct/5148/swivels_net

or if you really want to screw around with swivels: https://secure.atagulf.com/..._page.cgi?reset=4139

The only place I have ever ordered clips is Memphis Net, haven't used Atagulf. Why anyone would mess around with swivels on long line clips is beyond me. Of course I'm one of those radicals that won't use messy tarred main line either much prefering 1/4" stiff diamond braid from Bob at Decoy Rigs.

http://www.newenglandmarine.com/ and was pretty sure Wasson did too. At least thats
where he told me to go. It's in NH but just barely.

I wouldn't be too quick to throw out the lighter guage wire clips, I have had some that took
both hands to open when it was cold. Those I got rid of.

No Mark you are correct, I don't have to deal with tides. I do set a lot in current, both the Mississippi and other good size rivers, though the current stays from the same direction all day. How many times in a hunting day do your currents switch?

as many different ways to do this as there are people doing it.....

Krynik likes the cheapest clip there is...little ones, small gauge wire....makes sense, he's in Florida, the waters warm, the wt's are light, the waters shallow, 99 trips out of a hundred a few extra minutes won't make a bit of difference on the pick up.......

McMiller hunts current...no 12 ft tidal swings and direction changes...he chooses no swivels and a heavy braided dropper.....

Tisch leaves his decoys attached to the long line and sows them in 55 gallon drums...wish I had the room.....

All that said its beyond me why anyone would pay for something that they then have to modify, (either by wrapping a gap or closing it with pliers), when they can buy a product that doesn't have those "issues" to start with....different strokes-different folks.......

Mark wasn't either of the places you listed....the one thing I recall specifically is that the ones that work the best for me were listed as SWORDFISH LONGLINE CLIPS.....maybe thats the difference....that "huge" swivel and the heavier gauge wire, bigger gap for the line, makes them easier to work with using gloves, but also makes them cost more.....if I was longlining in Florida I'd go with the little 3"ers that I have on my puddle duck rigs.......

Steve

Also, a while back (maybe a couple years now) someone posted a tutorial on a special knot to tie droppers to mainline with no clip.

Been using 5" snaps w/swivil from ATAGULF. They have been working fine, inland and salt, but they have not seen heavy use.

-Bill

I have a mishmash of clips and the newer ones are the Avery and Riggum Right that I bought at Cabela's because I failed to order good ones. There really is no comparison to good commercial grade ones. I have a bunch that a buddy gave me that he got while he was fishing in Alaska(on the Big Valley by the way 10 years before she went down)and they are the best by far.

That little deal where the swivel slides through the gap and I've even had a couple actually work their way off the clip like some kind of medieval puzzle....PAIN IN THE ASS! I keep saying I'm going to go through and close the gap but I don't get around to it.

Most of you guys have forgotten more about long lines than I'll ever know but I do know this, I wouldn't recommend the cheap ass(expensive)ones you get at the big box stores.

I know Pete....I've spoken with him before and have a sample card in the garage. It's probably more like 5 miles honestly. STOOOOPID!

Sutton is right in one sense!!!

If I was hunting up north where gloves, cold & tides occur, I might be using the (5') five inch longline swordfish clips with the swivels.

Instead I use the (3") three inch "cheap" clips as Sutton describes them.

When we had the swordfish boats down this way, that's all they used, (3") three inch so I would refer to them as cheap, but to each his own.

The king fishermen down this way still use the (3") three inchers.

Then again, Sutton might be insecure over using a (3") three inch vs. (5") five inch??? LOL

That being said, it appear SNL prices are about the best out there.

Their wholesale supply house sells Cabelas, BPS & many others with these clips, so instead of paying a mark-up @ the "duck stores" you might want to go right to the source.

I bought 4 longlines from Doctari this year and their 4" clips are excellent. On the other hand, the Avery "Rig Em Right" clips are junk. Don't waste your money. I had to rebend ever Avery clip so it would close completely and bite the main line. Buy from Dactori and get it done right.

I'm pretty sure nobody makes clips just for duck hunters, :)
Clips are made for different longline fisheries, and line diameters. Too small of a mainline and the clips don't hold, too large, and they don't clip on enough, too smooth and they'll slide, Why you'd need a swordfish clip is beyond me, too strong for my hands, and decoys don't weigh 400 pounds, you gotta know what you have and what it works best on.

Messy tarred line? Nah, someone just didn't get the dip right, done right, it's dry, darkens the line,and stiffens it which helps immensely with snarls.

If you don't hunt with dogs, just tie the decoys fore and aft on the mainline, or with a real short loop, then the droppers won't twist around the line. Deploys real fast, just run them out of the tub, pick up is as fast as you can stack or drop into the tubs. The boat can still get through the rig by running the lanes, use enough anchor on both ends and tangles are rare even in a tide, of course you need the lines roughly running parallel to the current, so set up has to be thought out for the wind and tide.

I never liked clipping the decoys to the line as your setting, but then we set from a larger boat where we have room for the totes, or barrels.

Whatever works for you with the least amount of aggravation is ok, the absolute worst is picking up 60 singles in high wind and ice forming, lol

SEMANTICS.....as in "cheap" means "cheaper" than the big ones......and if you read what I said I also uise the small ones...on my puddle duck rigs.....work great.....also stated was the fact that I use the BIG ones because the LITTLE, SMALLER, CHEAP, CHEAPER, ones don't have a swivel large enough to accept the diameter of dropper that I use on my Sea Duck and Brant rigs, plus the "gap" on the smaller ones is too small for the diameter of my ground lines......

So you see Jeff...it isn't about inadequacies, and for the record I never question the size or adequacies of a persons "package" that I barely know, have met only once, even in jest, on the internet....I save that for the "in person scratch and crow" sessions in the parking lots where when "challenged" it can "whipped out" as proof that the challenger eyes are brown for some other reason than genetics......

By the way.....FOR THE LIFE OF ME.....I can't figure out why anyone in your area of operation would even be long lining in the first place....seriously where do you long line rig? I've hunted, and hunt, most of the weed choked and shallow, (relative of course), areas that you hunt in and I can't imagine longlining not being a nightmare in those areas......

Steve

Back