Morning strut...

Capt. Brian Rhodes

BWtom.jpg

Brian~

A really elegant shot - thanks!

I watched a big gobbler stroll (not strut) past my shop window yesterday morning. Part of me still wants to take a 3-year-old bird (I think all of mine have been 2 yrs) - but this might be the year I arm myself with my telephoto instead. (I'm not ready to give up shooting live rounds at ducks but, with turkeys, it's everything that happens before the shot that draws me into the May woods.)

Advice needed: I have a Canon 400D and a Canon Zoom EF 75-300 mm, 1.4-5.6 III. Can I get anything worthwhile around sunup with it dialed out to 300 mm? Just max out on the film speed and set it on Landscape (to kill the flash)?

Thanks again,

SJS

Steve,
I'm not Brian by any means but I do have a comparable lens and censor to yours. If it is a sunbathed hillside at sunrise then you probably can, a tripod would help a lot without image stabilization. If it is in shaded woods at sunrise then I doubt it. In low light f5.6 is going to seem very slow if you are trying to photo anything living. I'd try it in AV and keep the aperture close to wide open.

Tim

Now that's a sweet pic Brian. I was in west Jersey with my 10 year old last week and I said that I was surprised that we haven't seen any turkeys yet. Turned the corner and there were over 40 on someone's front lawn. Started doing some vocal gobbles and they all started hammering back. Nothing cooler than and old Tom's gobble.

Brian~

A really elegant shot - thanks!

I watched a big gobbler stroll (not strut) past my shop window yesterday morning. Part of me still wants to take a 3-year-old bird (I think all of mine have been 2 yrs) - but this might be the year I arm myself with my telephoto instead. (I'm not ready to give up shooting live rounds at ducks but, with turkeys, it's everything that happens before the shot that draws me into the May woods.)

Advice needed: I have a Canon 400D and a Canon Zoom EF 75-300 mm, 1.4-5.6 III. Can I get anything worthwhile around sunup with it dialed out to 300 mm? Just max out on the film speed and set it on Landscape (to kill the flash)?

Thanks again,

SJS

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.

Steve,

That lens should be able to get you some nice pictures, but you're still gonna need the bird at 50 yards or under for a decent shot. Remember nice early morning sun makes for great pics, and you're correct, no flash.

Like Tim, I also almost always shoot in AV mode.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks, Brian~

I think I'll try some still shots the next few mornings (if the mercury climbs out of the teens....) - just to see what kind of shutter speed I'm getting in the available light.

And, if the big ol' gobbler is not within 25 yards, I haven't done my job!

All the best,

SJS

Back