Mute Swans

Shoot, "here" you could sink a boat, a big boat with Mute Swans if they'd let you.
Drive the boat right into them and have at it, here on the Bay, I could single handed kill 90% in two days, I'm assuming that some might get wise before it was too late or I'd say 100%, lol.

George...they get wise real quick. The ones I hunted would be on to my program in one hunt. I was very surprised about that.

Hey Chuck
Here's a close up from another camera, looks like a mute swan but real young.

[Inline IMG_2058.JPG]

Over the years I've seen these birds smack into the telephone/power lines by a train track by my house. I've found 2 with neck collars and tarsal bands.... my friends will swear I hit them with a golf club, but I assure you I didn't. When I called in the band numbers both were banded within 15 miles from where I found them.

View attachment IMG_2058.JPG

Jack,

I think you're right, the slope from the ferehead to the bill is the give away. A young mute will have black feet and a trumpeter will have pink.

Mutes are nasty...I had a pair out on the river while hunting and had a small flock of trumpeters toll over the swan decoy I had out. They landed a little ways out, but the pair of mutes came booking in, swimming in from up wind all puffed up and ready to rumble. I watched as they chased of this group of Trumpeters, then hung tight watching my decoy really close.

Chuck

Here on the Maryland portion of the Chesapeake, the MD DNR has been "removing" mute swans for several years now. They were once numerous and a big problem, but they're few and far between now.

Back