My "hagerbaumer" gunning box...

Zach Houvener

Ever since I saw the picture that Steve posted about Dave Hagerbaumers gunning box I knew that I wanted to make one. My woodworking skills are average at best, and the tools I have available to me are even worse, that said, I love everything about "traditional" waterfowling as so much of you guys and gals on this site love as well. I'd been searching for close to a month trying to find some redwood or other wood that I could use but ended up just getting pine to save a little money (textbooks are expensive!!), wish I used something else but it will have to do.

I wanted to add a little of my own flair to the box and not copy dave to the T, so I did "flying" black brant for the relief carving. I also did the box to my own dimensions and needs. It holds 25 3" shells instead of 50, but the compartment to the left holds another 2 boxes if I want. My camera will go in the box in front of the shells. The interior lid is about 2" and will hold licenses, sandwich, gloves, etc...Overall dimensions are about 14"x12"x5.5" with the top and bottom being different thickness' I used nothing more then a knife, gouge, bandsaw, and sandpaper to shape it.

It isnt the latest gor-tex, ultralight weight, waterproof blind bag, but it will be the perfect compliment when I hunt out of my sneakbox, over my handcarved rig, and in the same waters as hagerbaumer himself.
P1000972-1.jpg

P1000978.jpg

P1000984.jpg

All the pictures I took doesnt show the detail of the brant as it does in person, so heres what I started with

P1000947.jpg

Zach

Zach,

That is nice. I think I would speed up the tarnishing of the brass corners. What goes in the lid?

My best.

Don

Zach

You did an outstanding job. If you do make that move to TN you can come to my shop and use all the tools and machines you want to make another....... for me.

Eric

Zach,
That is one nice box. and stout enough to act as a seat in your sneakbox while underway. Really nice. I dare say any of us here would be proud to own it.

Hello Zach
Very Very Nice. Its what I have come to expect from you. As good as your decoys. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!

Gary March

Nice job!
Tight butt joints look better than poorly done dovetails. The brass work probably has lacuer, laccer, lacker...., varnish on it. If you want it to tarnish quicker, you could try lacuer (g**damn spelling) thinner to remove it, so the air can get to the brass.

Very nice comments all, thank you...

I did try steel wooling all the brass pieces to try and knock down the shine, but I think being banged around for a season or two with salt water and mud might do just the trick.

I've got another box planned out in my head either a bandtailed pigeon box, dove, upland box with 12/20 gauge interchangable shell boxes. It was a fun project, look forward to doing another one. Perphaps over the summer I could make a few and try and sell them...

Again thanks for the comments!

Zach

Foundation get together and show it to Dave...he'll get a big kick out of it....

Maybe this year instead of a carving weekend you can give us a "gunning box" lesson......

Steve

As we say in Eastern NC, "Pretty Work". That box will be the envy of any skeet or sporting clays range you take it to.
Best,
Harry

Beautiful work Zack. Can't believe that you are thinking of letting it slosh around in salty bilge water and covering it with mud.

Back