My new outboard came in.

Looks great Ed L, and I'll bet you re very happy with it. I have no experience with smaller Suzuki outboards, but I had a DF140 on an older 20' Robalo, and it was a great motor for the ocean and bay and very reliable and easy to maintain.

I see a lot of Suzuki's on smaller work boats around here--clammers, small lobster boats, boats on oyster, mussel or seaweed aquaculture sites. Usually those folks are both price conscious and know enough to avoid motors that have problems. Happy with my new 6 hp, but I only have about 8 hours on it.

I took the plunge and went with the Suzuki outboard. Have yet to get it on the water though. The flood here in Illinois is finally going down so hopefully this week it'll get its maiden voyage. September 1st isn't far off.
I hope you have great success with your new outboard. I own two Suzukis a 20 h.p and 250 h.p. Both are 5 years old and have been performing flawlessly. I just do the recommended maintenance.

You will likely be happy for many years .... (knocking on wood) ... I have a 20hp 1978 Arctic branded Suzuki that has done me right for almost 15 years now. the 30 before that are unknown, but for a 46 year old, she's still got it !

Keep us updated. I am seriously thinking about a suzu for my bass boat. Sounds like they are finally getting the gearing right for higher end speeds. I hear nothing but good things about suzu's lately. When my opti goes pop, I'll be seriously considering one of their 200's. More and more, they are taking the place of off-shore boats as well when yammie had that market mostly.

I was able to get the boat into the water today. I'm very happy with the Suzuki. Very quiet and with fuel injection it's quite responsive. I was surprised being it's a 4 stroke. It's lighter than my old 40hp Mercury and planes much quicker. Breaking it in so not staying constant on throttle as mentioned in the manual. Had to find out though so WOT got me to 24.5 mph per GPS. Just a few mph less than my Mercury. I don't need to go any faster.

I took the plunge and went with the Suzuki outboard. Have yet to get it on the water though. The flood here in Illinois is finally going down so hopefully this week it'll get its maiden voyage. September 1st isn't far off.
Ed,
Which Lund model, length and year is your boat? (I think it's an Alaskan.)

I have a 1997 16' Lund Laker with a 30 hp Yammie two stroke. I love my boat and Yamaha motor. 34" deep but only weighs about 550 pounds so it will take some pretty good waves but will still run pretty skinny with the motor on shallow water setting.

Larry

Hi Larry. Mine is a 1993 special run Rebel they called the Adventure Series. 16' deep v. Specs are the same as yours.

I was able to get the boat into the water today. I'm very happy with the Suzuki. Very quiet and with fuel injection it's quite responsive. I was surprised being it's a 4 stroke. It's lighter than my old 40hp Mercury and planes much quicker. Breaking it in so not staying constant on throttle as mentioned in the manual. Had to find out though so WOT got me to 24.5 mph per GPS. Just a few mph less than my Mercury. I don't need to go any faster.
One thing I keep reading on these suzu's.... QUIET! I like that idea a lot. Had one guy even telling me he can have a full blown conversation in his boat, going 55-60, down the lake because its so quiet. I cannot say my mercury is that quiet lol. Thanks for the update, enjoy the new motor sir.

Back