NDR Hoyt bows....

Nate Grace

Anyone here shoot a Hoyt bow? I've been doing a little reading about Hoyt bows and most of what I am reading says they are a "noisy" bow. What does this mean?

I like the reviews that the Matthews Switchback bow has received. Has anyone picked up or shot a G5 bow?

Thanks,
Nate

Anyone here shoot a Hoyt bow? I've been doing a little reading about Hoyt bows and most of what I am reading says they are a "noisy" bow. What does this mean?

I like the reviews that the Matthews Switchback bow has received. Has anyone picked up or shot a G5 bow?

Thanks,
Nate

Nate I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix that is two seasons old. I don't know how things have changed since then, but when I looked two years ago, I was deciding between Matthews, Hoyt and Bowtech. If you are looking at top of the line bows, I don't think there is too much difference, it comes down to personal preference.

As for noise, deer hear really well, better than a person can appreciate. A deer that is on guard and suspicous will hear any bow no matter how quiet. An unconcerned deer may not react to the loudest bow. Not to say noise is unimportant, but it is only one thing to consider.

In my opinion the average bowhunter needs to balance speed (as it relates to having a flat trajectory), noise and how forgiving a bow is to shoot.

Last edited:
My buddy has a Hoyt and it was nice, but I shoot a Bowtech and like it better. Tod's right, they're all pretty darn good these days and it really is a matter of personal preference. I got my Bowtech Tomkat which was leftover from the year before when the new models came out and it was WAY cheaper and still brand new!

Nate,
I have an alpine that I like and my friend has a new Limbsaver that is just nasty. Flat shooting, with a nice draw that balances speed and shootability.
I think the draw is as important as the speed. With a good broad head you are going to get good results if you keep your shots inside thirty feet. That should do it for most of New England. The bows are cool but the coolest is when you get a really good stand set up, and the plan comes into place with a good open close shot.

I'm with you Bob. Though I never owned one the Hoyt Pro-vantage was as fine a bow as one would need. I bought Oregons back then and still shoot both my target and hunting versions. Every once in a while I think about a new bow and then wonder "why"? I still shoot them pretty good and at 48" axle to axle they are very smooth.

Nate, find a bow you can shoot well and forget about the noise. All bows are a little noisy and most animals never know what that noise is until the arrow hits, by that time it's too late. Most bow noise can be dampened sufficiently with whiskers, limb dampners, etc. Hoyt has been a top of the line bow maker for a couple decades at least. Personally, I would trust in the brand if it's a bow you like.

Pete
What are you doing up so early? I'm headed for Genoa, Wi to do some walleye fishing this morning--barge fishing--never done that before.
wis boz

Hi Jim, I was just thinking about you the other day and wondered how you are getting along. Heading out in minute or two for a turkey. Good luck with the fishing. Lots of fish caught off of that barge this time of year.

Nate go up to Danny's bow shop on a Sunday and shoot a bunch of diff bows and see what you like. He is very helpful and will show you and lot of options. HHG

Thanks, all done and only had to sit for an hour. Not a big tom but a good eater. Had a coyote make a run at my decoy but spooked when he got 20 yards down wind. I could've had him if I was coyote hunting.

Something else to remember is arrow weight. You can take a bow that is fairly quiet and shoot a really light arrow (5 grains per pound) and it will be louder than the same bow with a heavier arrow. I've seen a lot of shooters try to get as much speed out of their bows by using way too light of arrow. I'm not saying to shoot the heaviest arrow, but somewhere in the middle should be a good mix of speed and noise.

For the record, I shoot an old Hoyt MT Sport from 2000, not exactly a highend bow. It's set at 57 pounds and with a 26 in draw. I shoot CX200's cut to 26.25 inches and I've chronographed it at a "blazing" 245 fps. It's more quiet than a certain buddy's 70 lb bow with overdraw and the same arrow. His chronographed at 310 fps. Under twenty yards I don't think it makes a difference. Thirty to forty yards, maybe.

My dad used to shoot a Jennings Forked Lightning set at 43 pounds and used heavy carbon arrows. If he chronographed them, the chrono might laugh at him. And he's still tagged more deer than I ever have.

As said before, pick one that feels good, you like and enjoy it. Good luck.

Nate go up to Danny's bow shop on a Sunday and shoot a bunch of diff bows and see what you like. He is very helpful and will show you and lot of options. HHG

Hank, I really agree with you in concept on trying a lot of bows, but I'll add that if you don't shoot a "new" bow already it won't be much help unless you really bug them and put a lot of time in testing. I conducted that exercise a couple years back when I was upgrading a middle range 10 year old bow to a high end new bow. They all feel so weird with the rock solid back wall and stange cams that it was like wow I don't even know how to feel or expect the bow to feel. The grips even, they are so tiny these days it is like, where should I hold on to? this is just a piece of metal with a couple twigs on the side. If someone was going to test cold like that, you would need to shoot a lot of arrows out of each with each bow fully set up (i.e., have the guys get the bows all set up with quiver, rest, stabilizer, etc...) and do it twice, a week or so apart. Tell them ahead what you want to do and if they balk walk.

Nate, since you are in the early stages. Think about how you are going to hunt, the new bows (like the Matthews you mentioned) with very short axle to axle length tend to be harder to shoot than a longer bow, but they are sweet in a treestand. I've shot longer bows and you have to worry about hitting the seat of your climber or branches with the limbs, but with a short bow you don't have to worry a bit, they are performance tree stand machines and there are compromises made to get there. For me they are ideal, because that is the only way I shoot, if I were going west and stalking, I'd think differently.

Good time to buy a bow.

Last edited:
I agree with you Tod to some point but I think it is better to try out a few and this guy is willing to setup a bow for you to try. At least you start to get some feel for the bows. I know two years ago when I went thru the process it helped me. HHG

I agree with you Tod to some point but I think it is better to try out a few and this guy is willing to setup a bow for you to try. At least you start to get some feel for the bows. I know two years ago when I went thru the process it helped me. HHG

That is great that he has a line on a good shop from you. No question it helps, I wanted him to make sure he let them know that he was taking his time and not to expect to know what to expect. It is a lot of work for them to set those bows up and if they know on the front end that you won't just be picking off the rack and leaving that you will get better service. It is quite an "investment", for something that is basically disposable, unlike a gun. A new bow is out of date a year into it and to get a decent one set up you could buy a decent shotgun that woudl hold its value.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. How are you doing btw? I went out with Little Hank on a duck banding trip for Eider with a floating net system it was really cool. We got two birds that day. We also did a day for Brant with rocket nets but could not get the birds that day. Real close but not in the net. HHG

I agree 100%. How are you doing btw? I went out with Little Hank on a duck banding trip for Eider with a floating net system it was really cool. We got two birds that day. We also did a day for Brant with rocket nets but could not get the birds that day. Real close but not in the net. HHG

Cool on the eider and rocket net brant even if you didn't get any! Doing well here. No brant this year for me :(.

I'm getting ready for turkie, NY opens next week and CT the week after. I saw you and skeeter on my cabelas turkey again this year! You going to get him out this year again, I forget if he is old enough in MA?

Last edited:
Thanks Tod, Hank, Dan, and others for the great advice. I think I am going to make a trip up to Seabrook, NH to visit Danny this weekend. I may go there on the way back from getting the Kara at Geoff's place. Since this will be my first bow, I really have no idea what to get, what to ask for, or what I need to look for. I'm not really concerned about brand name, but I would like something that is rugged, made well, easy and fun to shoot. This will be primarily for deer, maybe a black bear, and I have aspirations of heading up to Canada to arrow a caribou or moose. I just want it to shoot straight and fast and be accurate. I will probably be shooting from a stand and the ground on occasion.

Thanks again.

Nate

Back