NDR ......... Sora

jode hillman

One of my favorite days of the year! Pulling the rail skiff ( circa 1920, restored 2018) out of mothballs and giving her a nice thick coat of warmed up linseed oil. The oil helps keep the water out of the wood and really brings it back to life. She will be on the rice looking for Sora soon. The exterior gets a good thick coat of paste wax to held push through the heavy growth.

147DAE8D-7A80-4B45-9B12-9092C70816FE.jpegD0B81AC5-FB64-4634-A02F-2CE76BCDED95.jpegDD496AB1-4003-4241-850F-AB20685C221D.jpeg589749A9-BA2D-4F19-82DD-69BD9A32B8C5.jpeg

Jode,

I love railbird hunting. That's a great old boat. You may have said in years past, but I've forgotten whether your boat has any rocker or is a flat bottom? I've had rail skiffs both ways, there's good and bad to each.

Jode,

I love railbird hunting. That's a great old boat. You may have said in years past, but I've forgotten whether your boat has any rocker or is a flat bottom? I've had rail skiffs both ways, there's good and bad to each.
Thanks, it's one of a few I've owned but definitely my favorite. She has slight rocker from to back, and also some curvature port to starboard. 3/8 cedar planked construction allow for gentle curves throughout. The rocker helps get her up over the rice mat, and the side camber makes turning a breeze. She has amazingly light for her 16 foot length, probably coming in at 125 pounds or less.

Jode,

Really like that Rail skiff, and the Preparing For The Season mode that yer in. It's a long standing part of the lifestyle of decoy carvers & huntin' boat folks. Two Thumbs Up.

The colorful can of "THE HEAVENLY COFFEE" made me smile and chuckle. I've got good old collection of them scattered about in my shop, painting nook, and other places. Steel cans are good for lotta things ain't they.

Best regards
Vince

Very cool and beautiful boat!!
I used to hear clapper rails in the marshes back in Alabama but never hunted them. Too much work, even at high tide we didn’t have enough water to float a boat.
Did shoot quite a few common moorhens back in the day during early teal season.

Back