NDR ......... Sora

Jode, how do you normally cook your rails? Every year my brother tells me to come out to a particular farm and shoot some rails that are in the field ditches he is mowing and just sent me a video of them today so I thought maybe Monday going out and trying a few.
Ben, there is no wrong way to cook them. You can pluck them and roast them whole, or you can just remove the entire breast on the bone and fry in a pan. Legs are very good too

I like them pan fried with some butter, garlic and hen of the woods mushrooms. Throw in a little bit of wild rice or potato chunks ( sweet or white) and it makes a nice hearty meal.

This batch I think I'm gonna make them into a mini pseudo Quail Marsala . Substituting the Quail with rails

You're welcome Tod. It's one of the few really unique and enjoyable experiences we have here in South Jersey
C'mon! You guys have Trenton! True story--25 years after my short Jersey residence, I was informed by the Maine DMV that it didn't matter to them, but my license to drive was suspended in NJ. So I call NJ to find out what the problem was. It took me about 5 calls to get someone who would actually tell me the reason--2 unpaid parking tickets. One was in South Orange, where I had lived, so I paid it. The other was in Trenton--3 years after I had moved out of the state. The fine plus penalties was over $500, and I was not about to pay it for an offense I could not have committed. "Was I licensed to drive in NJ in 1993?" "No." "Did I have a car registered in NJ at the time?" "No." So how could I get a parking ticket on a NJ license plate?" "Sir, your plate was on the car?" "Is it possible the officer read the plate wrong?" "That never happens." "What was the year and make of the car." "A 1981 Chevy Caprice." "Did I ever register a Chevy in NJ?" "No, sir." "So this wasn't my car, was it? Is there a way to contest the ticket?" "You'd have to come down and argue that to the judge, and because the violation was so long ago, you'd be required to hire a lawyer." The travel and a lawyer would have cost me well over $500, so I got mad. I called a lawyer here, who told me not to worry about it unless I planned to drive in NJ, which I've just decided not to do.

Thanks a lot for taking us along Jode. I look forward to the yearly sora rail posts that you make and you don't disappoint

C'mon! You guys have Trenton! True story--25 years after my short Jersey residence, I was informed by the Maine DMV that it didn't matter to them, but my license to drive was suspended in NJ. So I call NJ to find out what the problem was. It took me about 5 calls to get someone who would actually tell me the reason--2 unpaid parking tickets. One was in South Orange, where I had lived, so I paid it. The other was in Trenton--3 years after I had moved out of the state. The fine plus penalties was over $500, and I was not about to pay it for an offense I could not have committed. "Was I licensed to drive in NJ in 1993?" "No." "Did I have a car registered in NJ at the time?" "No." So how could I get a parking ticket on a NJ license plate?" "Sir, your plate was on the car?" "Is it possible the officer read the plate wrong?" "That never happens." "What was the year and make of the car." "A 1981 Chevy Caprice." "Did I ever register a Chevy in NJ?" "No, sir." "So this wasn't my car, was it? Is there a way to contest the ticket?" "You'd have to come down and argue that to the judge, and because the violation was so long ago, you'd be required to hire a lawyer." The travel and a lawyer would have cost me well over $500, so I got mad. I called a lawyer here, who told me not to worry about it unless I planned to drive in NJ, which I've just decided not to do.
Jeff, come on now, everybody knows trenton is in North Jersey!

That is funny as hell!

I had a similar experience I was billed over $300 from New Jersey ez pass for tollbooths all up and down the turnpike and Route 95 well up into New England.

It was not even the type of vehicle I drove, nor my license plate. The easy pass reader was off by one license place digit!

After several lengthy phone calls I was able to get it straightened out. But yea, I feel your pain!

Back