NDR Survey & a Question

My first concert ever was Rush - 2nd row center with my uncle - always liked those guys - havent been to many big concerts, but Dave Mathews was always good - beastie boys was great- now I prefer to catch the bands at smaller venues that are popular but not main stream - Old Crow Medicine Show, Cross Canadian Ragweed (no longer together) - Todd Snyder puts on a good show for a one man act- amos Lee- steeldrivers if you like bluegrass- Jamey Johnson - he is pretty big now but you can catch him at small venues still - also the old school guys when I can catch em - Robert Earl Keen, jerry jeff walker..... Uncle Ted was here in Huntsville recently, but dont think my ears could have taken it....

ps - Eric - gonna be down at my land this evening probably if you can get away stop by

Front row for a KISS concert back in the day with an 8 month pregnant wife. I thought the bass blaring out of the speakers would pop the kid out for sure. I agree its a load of crap that RUSH isn't inducted into the HOF. I can't believe KISS hasn't been either, especially with all of the influence each of them have had on the music scene.

Best small venue show would have to be Ron Yarosz and the Vehicle in a local tavern. They are a local blues band and they really bring it all with them and don't hold anything back.

The Rolling Stones followed by Bon Jovi, Shania Twain (4th row.... she is HOTT), Kiss/White Lion tied with Crosby Stills and Nash, America/3 Dog Night... in that order

Last edited:
Bruce Springsteen and the E street band 1977(?) at Cobo Hall in Detroit... I didn't even know who the guy was, what a show!

Then the one I had tickets to, two months after the crash, Lynryd Skynyrd (pardon my spelling)

Most memorable event wasn't a concert, but the Bob Hope Christmas show at Chu Lai, RVN, in 1969. Neil Armstrong had walked on the moon in July of that year and when he came on stage, several thousand soldiers and Marines gave him a standing ovation. Very inspiring.

Best concert, Genesis, "We Can't Dance" tour at the Silverdome in Pontiac, MI. Row 22 centerstage.

Watched a recent Rush concert on TV last night. It was neat to watch them again after about 20 years. Their Presto tour was the first concert I went to. Saw them at the Nassau Colesium with a friend and my little brother (he was 12). Still have a bunch of their albums on cassette, I've got to get another tape player.

Probably the most fun I had at a concert was the HORDE festival with Allman Brothers, Blues Traveler, Rusted Root, and others. Also got to see Rusted Root at Hungry Charlies in Syracuse, that was neat.

I also enjoyed watching John Fogerty at Saratoga Performing Arts Center. It was neat how many parents were there with little kids, a nice crowd.

But my favorite is Neil Young. Seen him a few times with and without Crazy Horse. I like Crazy Horse.

Best show I can remember- Peter Tosh in a bar called "My Fathers Place" on Long Island, NY. Mick Jagger came on stage and joined in for a song at the end.
First concert ever was Deep Purple with Nazareth.
I don't remember others so well....
-

Pink Floyd soldiers field, nothing like a floating pig to make a concert great :)

Hey, I remember that tour--saw it at the Meadowlands. Weird scene--one of my college buddies set the whole thing up, and he was taking his old high school English teacher. They ended up making out in the back of the car on the drive home. Thinking back on it, it wasn't that odd. We were seniors in college, so 20-21. She was maybe 5-6 years older, definitely under 30. But at the time, it was weird.

The flying pig was cool, though!

Pa Ballet version of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. I guess that ranks with a couple of concerts in NYC, including one of Alan Freed's Big R&R shows---Jerry lee lewis, chuck berry, Bo diddley, were among the notables

There is a bar in a town called Ward, up in the foothills west of Boulder, where bluegrass players would come on Saturday nights for a good pick. The place had a reputation for being an off the radar spot where real players could meet other real players, drink beer and play. One night my wife and I were up there with 4 other friends. In walk the guys from Yonder Mountain String Band, Benny Galloway, Sally Van Meter, and a few other players. By 3 AM the total was 13 musicians to 6 audience. The music was ridiculously good.

There are many in the running and a couple Rush shows are top ten for sure but I'd have to say the Allman Brothers Band in Chicago about 15 years ago. When they played Dreams and E Reed at the "end" of the show for about an hour and that was it...the Dead, The Stones, The Who, etc etc would never top that concert moment for me and I knew it. My brother did too and we spontaneously cried a little I am not too proud to admit. My brother in law was sort of perplexed by this. He didn't get it. Yet.

Five years later I'm at an ABB show at Red Rocks with him and they played Mountain Jam for 56 minutes at the "end" of the show and he cried. He got it then.

Speaking of great shows, Angie and I saw Wilco Tuesday in Chicago at the Riviera Theater and as usual they impressed the hell out of me. They are about ready to take the stage at Lincoln Hall in Chicago Sunday night which is a venue not much bigger than my house. I couldn't get tickets that were reasonable. If they come to a town near you GO! Trust me.

Speaking of SRV...I first saw him open for Greg Allman in '87 I want to say, at Memorial Coliseum in Ft Wayne. We were blown away. Over the years saw him a good numbers of times including a few days before he died when I was in the front row in Indy. How close...I looked up at him and asked politely,"Slight Return...please?" And he winked at me and went into that old familiar Hendrix lick. I'd like to say that was the best concert I ever remember and maybe it was but I didn't cry afterward. I cried a few days later when he was gone though.

Back