NDR: Table pour

Chuck J

Anyone done a pour over table top? I have seen plenty of videos of the thick slabs with the cracks and voids filled in, but I am not thinking anything that thick. I have an idea for a hexagonal table, with the center made into a Catan game board base, being an island, making the game hexagonal piece holders from various woods, maybe 1/4-3/8" thick, the surround with sand or small gravel to look like a beach, and then water for the rest, either colored epoxy or painted underneath.

A typical game board:

Screenshot_2.jpg

My thoughts on a table

Screenshot_1.jpg

Any concerns or hints?

This will be exposed to some UV (screened porch) and changes in humidity and temperature.

I have also heard of using clear acrylic. I am not afraid of epoxy but also not afraid to try something new if it is potentially better.

Thanks for any input
Chuck

I have done smaller epoxy pours . CNC cut a design then epoxy color fill, sand flush then epoxy over the top. Concern with a larger pour would be the mixing and the heat build up.

Total Boat seems to be the go to for table epoxy.

Rick

I've done a few. The biggest concerns are making sure you contain your epoxy and I do mean contain. It will seep out the smallest crack.

Also give any raw wood edges a pre-coat first. This helps eliminate air bubbles which are always a pain. Use a heat gun (best) or torch to level and remove air bubbles. Don't try to do the thick pour in one shot, build it up in two or three pours. They have special epoxy to do this so you don't overheat it and get a soft cure

Richard and Jode

Thanks for the input. I am thinking 3 pours about an eighth of an inch thick would be a safer approach. Really just gathering information at this point, with all the irons in the fire right now I think the earliest I would get going would be December. Would be nice to get it done before spring, honestly we use the porch 12 months a year so no point putting it off once I have a window of time to work on it.

Best
Chuck

Chuck J that’s awesome. My old roommate got me started in Cataan and I love that game.
Been awhile since I’ve played though. Just haven’t had time. Please post pics as you go along

Back