New gun selection

Jerod

I am having issues with my Remington 1187 Super Mag. In the last 2 years the barrel has broken and I have had little pieces fail while hunting or break off. I am looking to replace the gun with something newer(this gun is 9 or 10 yrs. old). Anyone have any reports on the new versa max or the nitro 887.

Thanks

My son tj won an 887 at a delta waterfowl show we where working last year, at that time they where brand new and ya couldnt even really find them in the stores. My brother shot it last year (tj had just turned 12 and it was a little big, he was still shooting his pimped out youth 20 870), and from jump street did not like the gun. It has a plastic cheap feel to it, but i think the same thing about a nova. It points like a remington gun, and feels like one when your actually shooting it, but the bolt is difficult to get to lock. You literally have to slam the bolt to get it to lock when your loading it. Otherwise it wont shoot... pick up the gun click the safety off and click nothing. It cost my brother several birds last year, and tj has cleaned and worked on it to make it better, but it cost him a pair of geese the other day... He hasnt given up on it yet, cause his gun is different than everyone elses so hes still digging that, but it wont take many more birds lost for him to chunk it. rotary bolt on a gun that points like an 870 and wont rust SOUNDS like a great ideal.. i just dont think they pulled it off. talked to a few other 887 owners and aint found anyone crazy about them.
i think the new versa auto is like 1600 bucks if its the gun tj and I where looking at the other day. nothing that comes from big green is worth 1600 bucks in my opinion. they're just isnt enough quailty to justify a price like that, and resale will be the dumps compared to a b-gun with a big price tag. And after having suffered thru the introduction of the supermag 870, and now the 887, was gonna buy an 11-87 supermag when they came out but they stopped sale on them before I could (glad of that!) no way would I do big greens r&d on a 1600 gun.

Hate to say it, but Im gonna buy a beretta next year. And ive never bought ANYTHING save one maverick that didnt come in a green box, shot 870s since I was 12 years old and worn out more than a few of them. I never wanted an auto because i didnt want to have to take care of it, but I cant clean and work on guns anymore than I do our current remington pumps. travis

Someone else recommended the same thing. I bought the remington when it was a newer model and loved it. I like to shoot 3 1/2 shells for geese as they can be tough birds in ohio late in the year. I hate to buy anything else but im tired of jam ups and pieces breaking off my gun. I think remington is losing the gun race....at least for me.

Thanks for your help

I used to absolutely bleed "green" and I still think highly of "older" Remington pumps and autos, as well as the 3200. But I wouldn't touch a "new" remington with a 10' pole.

I'll echo what Travis said about the 887. My hunting buddy brought his up to Manitoba this October for our trip, and it gave him problems the entire trip. Not closing all the way, not kicking out the shell when shucked. Also had a misfire where the firing pin didn't dent the primer enough. Needless to say, he wasn't happy....

I can't comment on the Versa Max. I've read that they have tried to follow Beretta lines, but I have not shot one, nor know anyone in my area that has one yet. The last autoloader that Remington put out was absolute junk. Personally, I would wait on the Versa Max and give it some time.

How much do you want to spend?? In my opinion, Beretta is tough to beat right now as far as autoloaders go. If the A400 comes out in synthetic, I'm grabbing one!

Best,
Steve

I have really enjoyed shooting my Urika II the last few years. I have owned guns from a lot of different companies and I think Beretta is making as good a gun as anyone right now. I do love my older Brownings though.

I took my 1187 to a gunsmith with the same problem would"nt kick out 3 1/2 inch shells.He stated having numerous similiar issues with other clients with 1187's.He went on to say he's never had a beretta in for this issue.Well i picked up a beretta xtrema2 and its a 3 1/2 shell pumping machine.Good luck to you on your next purchase you may want to consider the xtrema 2.

I strongly believe in remington products i love my 870 super mag. I was going to buy another auto 1187 but heard alot of issues with the newer generation. Then they came out with the versa max to compete with the benelli. Now I just got this notice from remington.

Safety Warning And Recall Notice
Product Recall Notice
Warning

DO NOT USE YOUR REMINGTON VERSA MAX SHOTGUN
Remington has found that a limited number of its Versa Max shotguns may have hammers out of specification. This condition may result in inconsistent firearm performance. Inconsistent firearm performance may result in property damage, serious personal injury or death.​
If you have a Remington Versa Max shotgun immediately discontinue use of the shotgun and contact Remington at 1-800-243-9700, Prompt #4. Remington will arrange for the return shipment of your Versa Max shotgun and upon receipt will immediately inspect and retrofit your Versa Max shotgun and return it to you at no cost to you. All Versa Max shotguns that have the hammer enhancement will contain a “V” stamped that can be seen by looking in the ejection port or through the carrier.​

I used to absolutely bleed "green" and I still think highly of "older" Remington pumps and autos, as well as the 3200. But I wouldn't touch a "new" remington with a 10' pole.

Nick, why stop short? One of my first guns was a Remington sxs, model 1894, a great duck gun. Then there is the sxs model 1900 or the hammer guns, models 1873 and 1889. All great duck guns!

And don't forget newer original Parkers, which Remington manufactured.

hey at least they admited the guns have a potientally deadly problem... only took them 50 years and the freedom of information act on the 700's to do that.

Isn't it funny how you can still shoot guns that are 50 years old, but your lucky if you get 5 years out of a modern gun (at least one that came in a green box).

3.5 inch shells, well, I dont know how to say it.... but here goes, SUCK. Seems the advent of the 3.5 shell is where a lot of guns took a down turn. Dunno if it was modifying them to shoot the 3.5's (the stroke on a supermag is longer than regualar 870, but the bolt is the same, they just added a potmetal stubble guard... what engineering!), the added pressures of the 3.5's tearing stuff up, or if its just the math of the longer the shell the more likely it is to snag. Dunno. But I know after shooting case after case of 3.5's and watching brand new guns be torn up in 2 years, and thinking about how rare it was EVERYONE got 3 shots off cause of jams and malfunctions, we stopped buying them completely. Amazing how much recoil effected me, but I never felt it. Amazing how dead a duck was from a 3 inch xspurt shot better because my gun worked and my form was better. Our ammo prices dropped almost in half, it was nowhere near as frustrating and cripple rates didnt increase. My next gun will be bought along the lines of, it swings and points well, fits me well, gas autoloader to get even more recoil off of me and maybe I can enjoy coffin blind shooting again, and the son of a bitch works when i load it and shoot it. 3.5 capabilty means very little to me anymore, as I just don't see them work correctly often enough to make it worth it. Maybe if I hunted with a bunch of guys with sbe's and xtremas that would cycle them id feel different. travis

I have a buddy who purchased the 887 this year specifically for shooting buckshot at deer. First day in the woods with it, it didn't kick the second shell into the chamber. He claims it cost him a deer, but I am quick to remind him that if he was attempting to shoot a second shell means he missed with the first one. I have also purchased a 1187 3.5'' about 4-5 years back. I had nothing but problems with it. The spring attached to the back of the bolt broke several times. It was a real pain in the neck. Needless to say, I don't own a Remington and honestly, with the exception of the OLDER 870's and 1100's, I wouldn't own one. It is dissapointing to see such a recognizable company produce such a poor product.

I bought a Winchester Super X3, three years ago. I can not say enough about the gun. It cycles every shell I throw in it and have had very few jams. I probably have 2,000 steel shot round through it as of now. The few jams that have occurred are either when it was about 10 degrees or after not cleaning it for way too long. It is also an extremely smooth shooting gun. Just my 2cents.

I started with an 870 many years ago and always loved it. My first auto loader was an 11-87 and it's still sitting in pieces in my gun closet, it just couldn't handle the hell I put my guns through.

I hunted an SBE very hard for a few years and while it's still in decent shape, I did have to replace the stock spring and it's in working order, but not what I need in a duck gun.

I have two beretta extremas. Two because I like them so darn much.

You can find them used for considerably less than new, and I've heard of a few folks having a little trouble with the extrema 2.

The extremas have a simple design and as long as I clean them with break free about once a month they keep on operating with out missing a beat. I've shot over three cases since the middle of october in lots of different conditions and haven't had a bit of trouble out of my beretta. mud, ice, rain, sand, snow...keep it clean and you're good to go.

-D

I can't speak to Remington. But I have had a Beretta A390, and a Beneli Nova.. Loved the A390, hated the Nova, because i would forget to pump it... traded both of them on a SBE. I LOVE THIS GUN... Aside from the safty freezing this year, and when a piece of foreign material was stuck in the action, I have never had a problem with it and it fits me like a glove.... I can't say that I clean it very often either.

My wife had a 870... didn't shoot straight... seriously!!!1 She moved up to a Beretta Pintail, but that gun kicked way to much for her, even with a Kick ese pad. She now shoot a Beretta AL391. She LOVE it.

For whatever all that information is worth.

I bought a Berretta 390 from Walmart back in 2003 for $529.00. Same gun as the old A390, just plain-jane version in flat black synthetic.

Along with my Nissan 18hp outboard, it has been the absolutely the best duck hunting related purchase I have ever made.

I have absolutley abused this gun. Mud, sand, saltwater, brackish water, dropped it, stepped on it, etc..., you name it.
Oil it when I get home, really clean it around 3 times a season (unless it gets soaked in saltwater).
Not telling how nasty the recoil spring & tube is because its never been taken out & cleanned other than spraying WD-40 down it & letting it drain.
No repairs, no breakages, no problems.

It has never jammed unless the shells failed (not guns fault) or I put the shells in the magazine backwards (DUH!).

Go to Wally World, see if they still sell them, if so, buy one today.

I have the perfect automatic. Never jams, never miss cycles, always ejects the empties, doesn't need a plug...... only problem, that really isn't a problem to me, is that it is a two shot automatic or as sometimes refered to as a Side by Side :) Also, I can shoot two different chokes and I don't have to chase down my empties as they are always in the bottom of the boat. I also have a 15 year old SBE that now sits in the closet - great gun but it's not a SxS.

anybody shoot one of those dirt cheap stogers? 450 bucks for a good pointing (in the store at least) autoloader, even if I had to replace every 3 years itd work out better than a 1600 beneill (cost for season wise). travis

Dont know about the Stoegers, but the old Charles Daley ones were hit/miss as far as quality.
One guy I know had one & it was a POS.
Another guy is getting great service out of his.

I bought a Berretta 390 from Walmart back in 2003 for $529.00. Same gun as the old A390, just plain-jane version in flat black synthetic.

Along with my Nissan 18hp outboard, it has been the absolutely the best duck hunting related purchase I have ever made.

I have absolutley abused this gun. Mud, sand, saltwater, brackish water, dropped it, stepped on it, etc..., you name it.
Oil it when I get home, really clean it around 3 times a season (unless it gets soaked in saltwater).
Not telling how nasty the recoil spring & tube is because its never been taken out & cleanned other than spraying WD-40 down it & letting it drain.
No repairs, no breakages, no problems.

It has never jammed unless the shells failed (not guns fault) or I put the shells in the magazine backwards (DUH!).

Go to Wally World, see if they still sell them, if so, buy one today.

Sorry guys, second time I've tried to quote a post, entered my new text, and ended up posting nothing but the original quote when I fiinished. Sorry, will edit tonight, but no time now.

I have always been a Remington man....I own three 870's and still shoot them often. One 1971 1100LW. Nothing is newer than 1986. I destroyed one 870 and I'm currently whittling away at repairs. My friends think I'm nuts because I have more money in it now than I would if I were to buy a new Express but the fact is most of the new ones suck. None the less, I had my heart set on a Benelli M1 that I picked up used from Hank Yorke who comes around here. He had taken great care of the gun and I've essentially turned it into a copy of my beater 870. It will be the last Benelli I ever purchase. I just don't have time to worry about return spring issues and soft lock ups. This gun fits me like no other and I love it dearly but after I put a Sure Cycle in it and have it dipped it'll be a refurbished '96 HK Benelli that I'll use forever hopefully and it will be the only Benelli in my case. As a tip to Benelli owners...the Wolff Extra Heavy return springs should be mandatory in all waterfowl inertia guns.

I've always liked the Beretta's and shot the 390's quite a bit. I wasn't that smitten with the Extrema partially because the gay name and it's a billy club of a gun. And, the stock extension system seems like a part from a Chinese made toy my wife got the kids of Wally World BUT...and it's a BIG BUT...I think they are the way to go now. I don't know anybody with a Beretta that whines or complains. They certainly aren't in denial like the Benelli minions ("What the....it didn't fire....must be a bad shell") and totally forlorn like the guys that won a Remington at a DU banquet. My buddy Dan has one of those Wal Mart 390s and it's a great gun...never failed him yet. He still shoots his old B80 also which is a similar gun.

Then came the Versa Max. I really liked the idea of Remington pulling their head out of their asses and making something that will have a good reputation. I spoke to my buddies about it and one of them said he was interested in it as well. I hunted with him last Sunday and he had one. He has all the above for guns, lots of new fancy stuff and he likes it best so far. He hasn't missed with it yet..says it has a great feel. I fired one shell out of it and it reminded me more of a Benelli than a Remington but I have to admit I am VERY interested in the Versa Max.

Back