New sneakboat prototype-Finished!

Cody Williams

Hi everybody, I finally was able to accomplish my goal of getting two boats built this year before it gets too cold to work-I finished my modified BBIII in August and tonight I just put the last finishing touches on this prototype sneak boat. I really wanted something that could combine the low profile and stealth of a traditional Barnegat box with the flat bottom and planing hull of a modern sneak boat, and this is what I came up with. She's 12' 9" on the deck, 48" wide at the transom and 56" at the widest point of the hull bottom. 1/4" Okoume, cedar cockpit floor, 1 3/4" laminated transom, finished with 6oz glass with a layer of kevlar on the hull bottom and sides for security when plowing ice. I'm planning to start running her with a 14hp surface drive, she will be capable of running a longtail and an outboard too. I can't wait to get her out for a water test, let me know what you guys think!

FinishedSide.jpg

FinishedRearQuarter.jpg

CockpitRear.jpg

Stern.jpg

SideProfile.jpg

Finishedfrontquarter.jpg

I would have had her finished last week but some other more important things got in the way:

Sagecanvasback.jpg

Cody,

A really beautiful build...Help me out some here...I really for a second there could not differentiate whether you did a wood construction or all weld...It was not until I read through the your post...Beautiful boat...Did you take the modifications and keep your measurements...I am interested...

Regards,
Kristan

Cody,

I like the lines of your design. Looks like it should be a winner. Who's surface drive motor are going to use and what does the motor weigh? What is the inside depth at the front edge of the cockpit? (If you don't mind sharing that info.) Is all your rear floatation in the center section of the stern? Oh so many questions. I think you might see some real interest in your design. :>)

You the man Cody. Great boat and what beautiful lines. Hope your season up north has been good. Lots of birds down here.

Cody,

You have the touch. Love the lines. Of course like everyone else, I want to see on the water with the surface drive too. 14hp...I'm guessing Copperhead?.

Great looking boat with nice lines....it will look better pulled into the weeds with you and your dog waiting for the ducks.
NIce looking dog.

Wow, thanks so much for the kind words you guys. I'll try to answer your questions-
Kristian-it's pretty much standard stitch and glue construction, no special tricks! Just lots and lots of sanding....
Dave-there is a floatation compartment in the rear and another one from about 2' aft of the bow forward. I'm at work right now so I can't measure but if I remember right the depth at the front cockpit bulkhead is 16". I will check later. The surface drive I'm going to run is a Dixie, a friend of mine is the local dealer for them and I had the chance to snap one up for a really good price so I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. The 14hp Dixie only weighs about 120lbs with their new aluminum tail.
Al-I hope your water returns, maybe we will get a few wet winters to build things back up. I know how it hurts to see your duck spots dry up, we lost a really good spot up here that my wife's family had been hunting for 40+ years due to the rerouting of an irrigation ditch.
Tod-thanks, I will post when I get her in the water!
Riley-thanks man, let's get out together sometime. We've had a really good season up my way too so far, I can't wait for some spots to start freezing up!

Last edited:
Looks Great, I would be very interested to see a little more on the build and how it runs in the water. It has some attributes that I would like to build into a boat hopefully next summer to run my souped up home built mud motor on.

Really nice!

I have a buddy that commercially fabricates aluminum boats. We've been talking about such a rig for a couple years now.

I really like the "upper" of the classic Sneakbox, yet like you, want the "usefulness" of the flat-bottom.

Beautiful job!

I too am looking forward to seeing and reading about the sea trials.

Jon

Wow, thanks again for all the kind words you guys.
Dennis-I haven't weighed her on a scale but I would guess the weight of the finished hull at close to 150lbs, she's pretty lightweight. Planning for a water trial tomorrow, I will post some photos of how she goes!

Last edited:
Took her out for a maiden voyage today....in my excitement to get her on the water I neglected to take photos.....but all I can say is Holy Mackerel, I'm a surface drive believer now.....20+mph with me (200lbs geared up), dog, small bag of decoys, and gear....curious how it will go with another guy onboard......I never expected that kind of speed out of her......I promise photos soon, probably early next week!

After reading the reply's from others I have little else to add. Beautiful!!! I have been working on my dream duck boat design for several years without the situation to build it. The lines of your craft are similar to mine except for the slashing bow you developed! Looks like it would cut through some nasty chop and keep you dry! My hats off to you! Of course you will want to put this boat into production, but if not would you be willing to share the lines, especially at the bow? I'm anxious for your wet tests.
Jesse

Back