November "Whats on your Workbench?"

Hey John, I think this post is called "What's on your workbench?........NOT "Whats NOT on your workbench." Haha. You have a bunch of projects going, all look very good.

dc

sample of what I have been working on, wish I had a good camera the merganser has a lot of subtle roughness to him that is pretty cool. The two hens were in the bunch I was painting while sitting in my deer blind. had to set down the pallete and brush to shoot my deer this year. the blue wing is a xmas gift for a fellow who no longer duck hunts due to illness.

P1030503.jpg

did not want to carry them all outside so you get the abridged bunch

Drake Woodie, cedar head, tack eyes, frond body
2011-11-18_19-54-22_964.jpg

Drake Pintail, same as the Woodie
2011-11-18_19-55-06_297.jpg

Hen Mallard, same as Woodie and Pintail, I should have thought more about the frond and the pose... This is probably my least favorite frond to date. She is also the last off the bench, had the head carved and should have ordered another frond to do a different body... Such is life.
2011-11-18_19-55-32_824.jpg

Last edited:
Swimmer Hen BWT,cedar head, glass eyes, cork body. I left the cork rough to see how I liked it. Rough cork sucks to paint...:)
2011-11-18_19-53-02_712.jpg

Drake GE, pine head, tack eyes, cork body. After all the fronds I wanted to carve a decoy I could toss around and not worry about. This is what I came up with.
2011-11-18_19-52-27_858.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, Looks great. A huge improvement over the one you had at Westlake. I think the paint is nice and carving has a good flow.

Nice work everyone. Dave, I like the pintail. I'd say more but I don't want to have Chuck use any of my words against you.

Hank- I'm not sure what you don't like, but I really dig that hen mallard drinker. Should look real nice in paint.

Jode and Paul, thanks for the encouragement! Well, this pintail is off my workbench:) I added the "commas" to clean up the sides and improve the flow into the speculum. I'm already thinking about how to improve with the snuggler pintail that's waiting for paint, hehehe. Too much fun...

[inline pintail_finished.jpg]

View attachment pintail_finished.JPG

Just finished up a page on my site that maybe of aid to some of the guys who carve. enjoy.

http://seansuttondecoys.tripod.com/making-a-decoy.html

Last edited:
Nice work everyone.

Sean I was on your site yesterday morning looking at that page. There was no text on the page then. I was looking at the hollowing pic and seen that handy little tool you had there wishing I knew what it was called. Now I know it's a scorp and plan on getting one. Good tip on painting eyes also. Thanks for sharing.

Great page Sean. Thanks for putting that together. Answers some of the questions I have had about the whole process from start to finish.

Thanks for putting up the link Steve. Thanks Sean for showing your process. By the wat Sean do the clear eyes arleady have the pupil and I'm used to using the eyes with wire? How do you affix those?
Frank

Middletonboatworks.com

Back