Remington Hypersonic Steel

Carl,
Got an email on it couple of months ago, we'll see if it proves out.

http://www.remington.com/pages/hypersonic-steel.aspx

George

I wonder what the price tag per box is going to be??? Guaranteed to be expensive! I'll stick with 3" 1 1/8 oz 1560 fps kent fasteel loads ......

The short story on what they are claiming is a specially designed wad with two-phase powder ignition.

Very interesting.

I wonder if that stuff will kick like crazy in a pump gun or O/U . . . split wooden buttstocks? It says the chamber pressures are the same as normal velocity ammo.

NR

"HYPERSONIC" Hehehe...really?

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people" - H.L. Mencken

I may give it a try although I am happy with the federal 1550s and 1450 fps stuff I shoot now. I guess it depends on the price or my mood. I am normally kind of slow to jump on the new stuff. I have yet to even try black cloud.

for steel shot or any shot for that matter there comes a time of diminishing returns so to speak. I have dabbled in reloading steel up to and over 1800 fps and problems encountered are major blown patterns and consistency. IMO the best speed for steel is 1450-1500 fps. I do shoot Kent Fasteel @ 1550 because I can get it for my 20 ga but for my 12 ga, 1450 is plenty. I seriously doubt that I will be a customer of any steel loads at 1700 fps. I have found that there is much more to a good steel load than speed. Regardless of how many guys shoot the cheap steel, I will continue to enjoy consistent, lethal patterns with premium loads like Winchester Supremes.

Intresting conversation, keep it up.
I have been getting great performance out of 3", 1450 fps 1 1/14 oz loads in #3s. Estates, Rios & Federals all in this same load seem to fit me & my gun well.
See no need to change to $17/box when I get good results with $10/box loads.

Carl,
I think the marketing department is trying to get that young guy who, "Needs the speed", to buy a few cases.
I have spent many hours at the patterning board in the quest for good steel reloads. First started thinking I would save money. Then became aware that that was not going to happen, but did see the light that pattern was king. Pellet energy is pretty simple stuff. Any good "three shot hit", bird in the energy zone of the pellet size selected is "DEAD".
But a guy feels a bit better on his one or two hunts a year with the best fastest stuff he can find,,,,,,,, more power to him.

I will say this........

Have some Ice ready if you test these roman candles off a bench at a patterning board. The recoil numbers from a 1 1\4 oz 12 ga at that speed are close to the great elephant calibers and those were 10 to 12 pound guns. God help the 7.5 pound 870 rem shooter who pulls the trigger on one or five to see what the paper looks like.

My fav reload is going about 1490 fps and puts 107 even pellets in a circle at 40 yards every time with 7\8 oz of #3 steel. Bang flop Kills mallard size ducks every time I hit them inside of 40 yards......... If the duck flies off it is because I didnt hit it, not the load.

It is interesting to see that after approximately 200 years, the shotgun industry is still following archery.

Initially archery was an instinctive shooting sport and continues to be that way for traditionalist. However sites and speed have been the rage of the modern shooter using the compound bow.

With all the new site "gizmos" and the quest for speed being promoted for shotguns, there seems to be move afoot to turn instinctive shotgun shooting into short range rifle shooting just as in modern archery.

I'll continue to use the slower speed steel shells that match the speed of my target shells. Consistency kills! (hehe)

Consistency kills!

I agree, pick what works for you and stick with it. Whether that is 1700fps,$30/box or 1400fps,$7/box, if it works stick with it. I think once a lot of guys lose confidence and start jumping from gun to gun, choke to choke, shell to shell, they end up going in circles. And in the end, it was probably a shooting form or confidence issue all along.

I have loaded steel into the 1800 range and shot a 1 1/4oz load buffered with a backbored barrel to .738 and a choke cut to the bore at a LM configuration proved very lethal. But once Hevi-Shot came out it's all I load now.

Last edited:
What Pete said....1425 to 1450. 1450 being my favorite.

If I could get something in the 1437-1438 range I woudl be really happy. 1425 are a little slow and you need to use too much lead and the 1450 tend to blow patterns. Such is life.

T

My three favorite loads...two are 1450 and one is 1425.

I was just joking. I really don't worry about the stuff too much. I shoot the same thing all the time and I'm really happy with what I get.

Back