river question

john townsend

Which would be better floating a smaller river, jon boat or canoe? What length would be best? 2 guys, 1 dog, few dekes- 1 guy, 1 dog, few dekes. Slow moving water. floating or using trolling motor.

Last edited:
A bit more info would be helpful, how deep, fast & is the river windy or straight? Boat ramps or do ya have to carry it up/down a bank? Are ya float huntn or is it just a way to get there? I like canoes, but 2 guys& a dog, not used to a canoe, all moving at once= a cold dunking. A John is a bit more stable, depending on size, but them oars flashing way out to the side is going ta spook birds before ya ever see them, watch out tho, too small of john can be worse than a canoe! Much to think about!
Dennis

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Gheenoe or River Hawk? They are a combination of a canoe and jon boat.

Todd

We float hunt quite a bit in 14' canoes, I have a sportspal and my buddy an Olde Town. Certain parts of one of the rivers we float has some obstacles that would be tough to get the jon boat through. Like mentioned above, you also need to consider where you will be able to put the boat in and take it out. Not sure of the condition where you are.

I know I may take some slack for this statement, but I would consider leaving the pup at home. You have the boat to retrieve downed birds, and a dog crawling in and out of a canoe on an icy river could lead to problems.

I use an old town kayak predator k140 dog and dekes very stable and low profile hides great perfect for jump shooting.

Go with the Gheenoe. It will take a trolling motor or up to a 10hp if memory serves. Handels like a canoe and a LOT more stable and will carry your load with no trouble at all. Plus you can still use it on the inland lakes.

Definitely need more info . . .

I've used my canoe to carry 2 guys, Lab, dekes and gear a LOT. My dog has great boat manners . . . UNLESS there's shooting FROM the boat. I would never take him in a canoe on a float & shoot-from-the-canoe hunt because he's just too excitable. Ok, some would say "un-steady" . . . :)

So, the answer depends on what kind of water exactly you'll be on, what size dog you're hunting with, how his/her boat manners are, whether you'll be hunting from the boat or the bank. I really like the maneuverability and portability of a canoe personally--whether I'm with a buddy or solo. But, if I were shooting from a boat and wanted to take my dog (and I ALWAYS want to take my dog!) then I'd go with a jon.

John, what you need is a duck skiff. Once, the primary ways to hunt the numerous river and creeks of Wisconsin, they are now used primarily in marshes, as they do well getting thru vegetation.

A friend of mine, Ron Koch, only hunts this way and is one of the most successful hunters I know. This style of hunting produces even when there are few ducks.

Ron drifts down stream, his gun always at the ready, while poised in the Poygan shell box rack. When he wants a break, he simply backs into cover, throws out a few decoys, and enjoys a cup of coffee or a sandwich. To return he either uses a small kicker or has some retired duck hunter pick him up. He knows the time it takes to float from bridge to bridge, and can always plan for someone to pick him up. He also never hunts before 9:00. This is type of hunting is best midday.

A skiff will be stable for shooting and using a retriever because of the low center of gravity. They are also good for fishing and trapping. Precision Sports in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, phone number 920-233-2274 has several great skiffs they make and are fairly reasonable cost wise. Also you can build one. Pete McMiller made one last year and is making another this year. Pete will be glad to help you on this site.

I knew I didnt have a simple either or question. I have been dealing with this question for a long time. Just thought I would see what others opionions were. Pretty close to the same but a couple of new thoughts are thrown n the mix. Gotta get some more ducks next year. Gunner needs to get in more retreives and I need more places to hunt. Thanks for the input so far. John (nice lookin chessie Mike)

Last edited:
Honestly john, I would prefer a jon boat. This is just my opinion, but I think a jon boat would be safer, especially if you're going to hunt 2 guys and a dog. I have a canoe and I love it, but its a small creek and small lake boat. I actually rolled the canoe a few seasons ago when my brother and I both shot from it at the same time. LOL! Luckily it was early season (October) and the water wasn't cold and we were wearing t-shirts, but still, its enough to scare the hell out of you. My brother hasn't stepped foot in the canoe since then. I still take it out, but I'm really careful.

On the other hand my father has a 17' jon boat with a merc 25hp. Its big enough for 2-3 guys and a dog, plenty of gear and it is light enough to get into shallow water. It is also very stable, especially for river hunting. We can pull the boat up into flooded marsh, throw the blind up and do very well.

Again, this is just my opinion, but definitely keep safety in mind. I know some canoes are big and some are very stable, but think about 2 guys, a dog and gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canoes being unstable is a myth...yeah, there are tippy canoes, but often times I feel it is 'user error' that give canoes a bad rap...I've had jon boats scare the bejesus out of me. I was assuming you were talking a 10 -14 foot, 32-36 inch width "standard jon boat" as opposed to a 40+ inch width modified jon. If you are talking standard jon, I'd say I'd definately go with the canoe. Get a wide one, preferably 38+ inch width. Safer for jump shooting by far, guy in the front should be the ONLY one with a loaded gun. Bringing the dog? Definately be helpful with downed birds, but could be a liability. May want to try this once without the dog. Many of the canoe or modified canoe models mentioned sound good, as well as some of the older thicker hulled aluminum Smoker crafts, Aluminuacraft or Grummen boats.

I like Mike's thought on the skiff, but not good for 2 guys and a dog for sure.

Chuck

I originally missed the two guy comment. For two men, get two skiffs. The price won't be much different then a used jon and motor rig.

John, what you need is a duck skiff. Once, the primary ways to hunt the numerous river and creeks of Wisconsin, they are now used primarily in marshes, as they do well getting thru vegetation.

A friend of mine, Ron Koch, only hunts this way and is one of the most successful hunters I know. This style of hunting produces even when there are few ducks.

Ron drifts down stream, his gun always at the ready, while poised in the Poygan shell box rack. When he wants a break, he simply backs into cover, throws out a few decoys, and enjoys a cup of coffee or a sandwich. To return he either uses a small kicker or has some retired duck hunter pick him up. He knows the time it takes to float from bridge to bridge, and can always plan for someone to pick him up. He also never hunts before 9:00. This is type of hunting is best midday.

A skiff will be stable for shooting and using a retriever because of the low center of gravity. They are also good for fishing and trapping. Precision Sports in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, phone number 920-233-2274 has several great skiffs they make and are fairly reasonable cost wise. Also you can build one. Pete McMiller made one last year and is making another this year. Pete will be glad to help you on this site.

I concur as I do the exact same thing but use a boat called a Hoefgen Duck Boat. Made by a builder in Michigan's UP it has performed well in this exact application. I would not carry two guys, a dog and gear and float shoot out of this ever. I don't know if I would do this out of any boat actually

A jon boat would be a mistake. To wide, too unstable and clumsy to paddle if needed. You also sit too high in a jon boat.

Mark W

Back