Sea duckin recap from Maine

Hi Rich,
The mooring ball is always attached to my anchor line, regardless of the boat it is securing. For deploying the layout, we anchor the big boat first then off load the layout into the water and attach it to the anchor. The mooring ball also takes the brunt of the current pull that I sometimes have preventing that downward pull from getting to the layout. That particular morning the winds did kick up, I checked on my guys on couple different occasions as I was getting concerned. They both reported being comfortable and dry. I eventually did pull the layout back into the Duckwater and we finished the day gunning from the security of the Duckwater with the layout safely on the bow gunnels.

An enjoyable look at a whole other kind of duckin".

Pearl sure is earning her Alpo in conditions like that. Wonderful sequence of her swimming down that cripple!

Bob

Awesome pictures. Definitely something I want to try one day. That picture labeled "local businessman at work" are they digging blood worms?

Will,
Most of the guys I run across are clam diggers although I do know there some worm diggers around too.
Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Troy

Nice shots Troy. Next time I'm visiting family up on Casco I'll think of you on the other side of Cape Elizabeth.

I'm really interested in learning more how you anchor up your layout with the wind and current and tide. I've wanted to try layout hunting but I have about 19 feet of tidal change, river current and wind that are often in opposition to each other.

Nice shots. Seven seas is pretty sexy. Can you tow that core sound two man layout? Sounds like you load it up was just curious if you can. I'd like to gun up there one day. Beautiful area to shoot ducks.

Tony

Brad, those opposing factors are not fun. Those days are not even fun to lay out long lines! I don't have 19' feet to deal with, typically between 9-11'. This is the first season for my layout boat but everything went well. Safe, stable and dry. The boat seemed to ride the surface well and the spray lip deferred any water that approached.

Last edited:
Hi Tony,
You are correct, I usually transport on the bow. Two reasons, first I load onto the gunnels with my tractor and forks and secondly, even with it on the bow I still have plenty of room in the stern area for guys and gear. To answer your question though, yes it is towable. Here is a picture when we moved areas and I simply hooked onto everything and pulled it to the next spot.

Now pulling like this wasn't the best as the towline was hooked to the cleat and not the tow hooks underneath. I did do some experimenting over the summer and it towed from the bow of the layout better, IMO. The layout would ride nicely on the wake from the boat. I actually have a video of that.

Brad, I ran the Danforth and chain set-up and poly ball to the back of the layout cleat, then I ran two long line sets making a V that came to the bow of the layout. My attempt to funnel the birds in. The near ends of the long lines were attached to the layout, the far ends each had there own (3)window weight anchors securing the "V" and providing anchoring from both ends. Hopefully this makes sense.

Hi RL.
The layout is made by Core Sound Layout Boats. They are a small company in Newport, NC.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Troy

Troy, I used to do some late season puddle duck and diver hunting in the marsh behind your sea-duck area, and spent a lot of time chasing stripers down there from the beach and in small boats.

It's a great piece of water, and I wish I had a bigger boat to get out to the parts you are exploring.

Brad, I ran the Danforth and chain set-up and poly ball to the back of the layout cleat, then I ran two long line sets making a V that came to the bow of the layout. My attempt to funnel the birds in. The near ends of the long lines were attached to the layout, the far ends each had there own (3)window weight anchors securing the "V" and providing anchoring from both ends. Hopefully this makes sense.

Got it. Thanks Troy.

It is a nice area Jeff. I've never hunted that area although many do, maybe that's why I don't. I will be looking both north and south this summer to broaden my area, lots more recreational sea duckers now than 10 years ago. Good luck chasing the sea runs if you're out.
BTW, I heard the smelting is fantastic right now!

Troy, I've had really mixed experiences in there. Some days it seems there is a hunter on every creek; other days it seems I have it to myself. The good news is that the expanse of marsh is huge, and can soak up a lot of hunters. Tides and areas that limit access by larger boats, and spots that can't be walked to, also help.

There's nothing like that huge expanse of Spartina marsh up here in Central Maine, so it makes for a nice change.

Back