Show off your doublegun...

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Nice Sterlingworth, looks to be a Philadelphia addressed extractor gun. What is it's configuration, barrel length and chokes?
[/font]Thanks Jeff, and you sir are correct. "Made by A.H. Fox Gun Co. Phila. PA. USA" is stamped cleanly on the barrel. The barrels are 28", I have no idea what they are choked at. That's a good question to ask if and when I do take it to be restored. I doubt I'll ever consider shooting non-toxic shot out of it, the barrels do look a bit tight to me. This gun will likely pull upland gunnin' duty for grouse & pheasant. I'll have to ask my dad more about it next time I talk to him and see if it has any history that he's aware of other than what I remember.

That's really cool that you can trace your Sterlies history back like that. $25 option for a $25 gun...ouch! Must've been a rich mans gun back in the day! I'm sure it has seen its share of duckin' in it's day. That would be a great hunt to get that gun back out on. I'll have to see what I can dig up on my own gun. Thanks for the info, if I find anything interesting on mine I'll shoot ya a note.

Steve

Very cool Jeff...do you know if Mr. Clark still provides this service? Or how to contact him? I can start with the address on your letter if that's the only way. Do you know if he has any interweb connection these days?

Thanks,
Steve

Mr Clark has passed on I believe Write to John T Callahan John T. Callahan Arms Historian P.O. Box 82 Southampton, MA 01073. Provide the serial number, gauge, and grade and enclose a check for $30 for Sterlingworths and $40 for graded guns. You will receive a letter in 4-8 weeks.

For those who may be fans of Husqvarna here's a link to a Swedish web site that has serial numbers dates and finisher - factory mark legend. To the best of my knowledge Husqvarna did not formally proof each gun hence no proof marks are present on the action flats.

http://www.shotguns.se/html/hva_in_general.html
It is interesting though - you can get the date of manufacture and names of the smiths and finishers that finished the shotgun.

Back