IMG_2886.jpg

The "Twig-hopper"---a western kingbird.

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

The "Hintmeister". Bev brushes Chance almost every day. I guess she forgot this time.

IMG_3199.jpg

A western tanager.

IMG_4294.jpg

IMG_4417.jpg

Bev and I were walking the pups when we saw this almost full moon in last night's late evening sky.

IMG_5334.jpg

Bird's eye view!

IMG_4804.jpg

A black-chinned male taking a leisurely bath.

IMG_4850.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

IMG_4863.jpg

A Wilson's warbler.

IMG_5457.jpg

A curve-billed thrasher.

IMG_5524.jpg

A male pyrrhuloxia. He has the identical song to the North American cardinal.

IMG_4684.jpg

Al,

I really enjoy viewing all the differnt pictures you post. Thank you. I wonder if the other quail said to that one, "Dude your having a bad feather day."

On average how far are you from these birds when you are taking the pictrues?

My best,

Don

love em Al there beauties,,could we see a few pics of the beautiful desert....you got some talent...

shermie...

I like that comment, Don. The bird pictures were taken at different distances. The western kingbird and pyrrhuloxia would be about 30 feet, the hummer at 13 feet (my problem with the hummers is that they love taking their baths so early in the morning----poor light). The curve billed thrasher was around 60 feet. The Wilson's warbler and western tanager were 23/25 feet. The quail were very close but like the hummers about the only time they aren't so spooky is very early in the morning.
Al

Thanks for the compliment, Tim and Shermie. The desert is so unique---normally beyond comprehension. When you give it a quick overview your mind's eye says, "Yup, dull, drab-----who would ever want to live here?" But if you are patient, like a duck hunter, miracles begin to happen in front of your eyes, almost. For example; this picture.

P9030069.jpg

This is the northern end of the White Sands Missile Base. It was one of the last areas homesteaded because it is so dry. Normally when you see cattle wandering around looking for blades of grass to eat you wonder how they can survive. Well, one summer day it rained----the whole area was transformed. Remember that in a spot that is so dry, seeds can stay dormant for years. Some of this area can only sustain two cows per square mile. By the way, we live in the high desert region of the southwest. We live at 4,600 feet of elevation and this shot is at approximately 5,500 feet.
Al

Last edited:
Thanks, Greg. As long as my camera works I will try. I, too, love birds and enjoy observing them. Every morning I am outside before sunrise just to see what I can see. It's fun!
Al

Thank you, Don. I'm hoping that you have no dust on your camera!
Al
Well, actually I have pressed to finish my basement remodeling that I started last year and my wife just had surgery. So I have not been out hiking or even fishing. On the bright side the basement living space is done and adds about 500 square foot to the usable space in our house. And the wife will not have to have her tonsils out ever again. what a nightmare that was for her, but she has turned the corner and I might have some time get out find something worthy of a pic. Have a great day Al.

Back