Some thoughts on Neoprene Dog Vests

Pete McMiller

Some thoughts on dog vests. This year, with Otto's skin problems, I have been more aware of the temperature, his shivering, and what seems to work and what doesn't.

By the way, Otto's skin problems seem to be 90% gone. Back in early October, when nothing seemed to be working, I took him off of all the meds and started a regiment of a bath with Baby Shampoo 2-3 times a month. It really is amazing the difference in his coat.

Anyway, back to dog vests...............I noticed one day in early November that despite the sunny day, temps in the upper 30's or low 40's and minimum work (a slow day) that Otto was shivering all morning. I even covered him up with my raincoat while he layed down in the sun- no help. I felt inside the vest he had on and it was quite warm in there. Still..........why the shivering?

After that day I kept the vest off and noticed that he seemed to be more comfortable and warmer. As an additional measure, I brought some of his normal dog food as a mid-day snack and to boost his carbohydrates (fuel for the furnace). The snack (about half a cup) at mid day appeared to help. I also used one of those super absorbant towels (yes, it's a Sham-Wow) to dry him off between retrieves. All in all I noticed significantly less shivering with his vest off than when he had it on.

Now as a scuba diver I have noticed that my wet suit keeps me much warmer while in the water BUT makes me colder when I come out of the water and leave it on. Even on a dive boat in the Caribbean in 90 degree weather, I am colder after a dive with my wet suit on and sitting on the boat than with it off and toweled dry.

With all that, doesn't it make sense to allow your dog to dry his coat and use his natural insulation than to make him stay wet all day? Now, the reserve buoyancy that the vest provides is certainly important in real nasty conditions ie ice and single digits.........but, I wonder if that's enough to make them wear a vest.

Any thoughts?

Hi Pete,

Interesting thoughts on the vest vs wetsuit experiences...makes sense.

However, I just wanted to point out something...maybe Otto is just not feeling enough love. Think about it, he's got you shampooing him 2-3 times a month, toweling him off after retrieves and bringing him his own personal snack...I think he has you well trained.

Best
Chuck

I think you have something there Chuck. I have noticed this year that the last chunk of donut isn't a treat to him anymore - he considers it his "right". In fact the other day I was having a donut snack and avoiding his eyes - he started barking at me. So I gave him a piece of cookie instead and..............he knew the difference, even while chewing on a cookie he kept eyeing my frosted chocolate donut. Some days there is no pleasing him :)

I agree with your thinking Pete. I'm really NOT sold on the idea of doggie vests. Mind you, once the temps really drop our hunting season is over up here, but a few days I've been out with Kuma and he's actually decided to sit in the water - I assume because he finds it warmer (!) or maybe to melt the ice of his coat, so I'm not too concerned. On cold days in the layout though I make sure to have a couple towels and dry him off - when he lets me. And if he wants to crawl up on the back deck of the DP on a sunny day to curl up in the sun I generally let him, ducks don't seem to care.

Also ran into another guy last year that found his dog seemed warmer without the vest and he'd stop using it.

My main reason for no vest though is the same as no collar while in the water, I'm scared he'll get hung up on a branch or something underwater. The only vest he wears is an orange one for upland hunting, mainly so the "moose" hunters around here don't take a shot at him. Chocolate labs look too much like moose apparently. Or so they've explained to me...but that's another story...

And yep, they do have a way of training us don't they? Can't ignore those eyes...

Pete, I agree with your observations. Wet hair pressed against the skin isn't very good for insulation. I struggle with Pete, because he has always gotten cold, wet or not. I don't have a solution that works well for me. I double bag Pete in the frigid temps.

I could trying feed him a real lot, so he had a thick layer of blubber - I see a lot of guys trying that solution, must work well.

Well, I am am anti vest. It is one more thing that th get caught on. Sticks in the water etc... I believe the dogs natural coat is better. IF their coat is full it is ample. Last year it was -5 the last day Kodi and I hunted. He had no issues. My thought is the sun will warm the dog more without thed vest. The warmth under the vest is the heat the dog has ALREADY lost. I also think the vest pushes the water against the dog...which may drive the water through the outer guard coat into the dense undercoat. ... Kodi has ice on his back... that only happens because there isn't enough heat loss to melt it... to me that is better than a vest.

Last edited:
Interesting observations, how about you vets out there what do you think? At the end of last season i left my 9 year old lab Jett at home rather than hunt him in really cold water out of a boat blind. If we had good field or bank hunting i would have taken him. Have there been any studies done on the use of neoprene dog vests? I know the gloves freeze my hands when wet.
Bill.

I don't always use a vest on the dog. I am conscious of areas with snags. It does make it easier to get the dog back into the boat in deeper water. I dont have a dog ladder. Also, I do notice after the hunt that my chessie is usually much drier under the vest than outside of it. Almost completely dry except around the edges. He is a big dog and the vest is pretty snug. Sticking my frozen hand in the vest is a pretty good handwarmer as well. Its certainly warmer in there than just resting my hand on his head, so it has to be holding some heat in.

Is is necessary? Probably not. I think it does help in a number of ways, not just warmth. I will admit that the primary reason they exist is that it is just one more thing to sell to us.

Also, I use it particularly when we are hunting nasty water, less dog to clean and as I mentioned he is dried off more quickly.

I have a vest for the dog but never use it. I figured that the dog shakes off that water from the outer coat, and her undercoat is dry. I believe the vest traps water and she cannot shake it off.
However, in a muddy field I think the vest does help keep the mud from caking on to the dog's outer fur.

Also, I do notice after the hunt that my chessie is usually much drier under the vest than outside of it. Almost completely dry except around the edges. He is a big dog and the vest is pretty snug. Sticking my frozen hand in the vest is a pretty good handwarmer as well. Its certainly warmer in there than just resting my hand on his head, so it has to be holding some heat in.

I've noticed the same thing with my lab. Very little water actually makes it underneath the vest. She loves her vest, and would just about put the thing on herself if she could. I put her's on anytime it's less than 30 degrees or so. I can tell a huge difference in her apparent comfort with the vest on.

...I believe the dogs natural coat is better. IF their coat is full it is ample...
This comment caught my eye, and I'm sorry if it highjacks the thread; I thought it may be pertinent. Although I have never owned a dog, I have wondered whether dogs who are kept outdoors have a different coat than those kept indoors, and whether this is a factor in them being able less (or more) sensitive to the cold/cold water. Perhaps indoor dogs are the one that need the vest more? Thinking about the day when I will have a retirever myself. My wife says it will have to be an indoors dog... Just wondering. AA-

Just because the dog is shivering, does NOT mean that he/she is cold!!! If your dog has a high drive, shivering can occur because of excitement, anticipation or nerves. My Golden shivers a lot in the morning on a hunt. I always thought it was because she was cold, but she does it even when she is DRY. Her teeth chatter with excitement. So before you go assuming the dog is cold, take some time to read the dog and get to know how they react to the hunting scenario. When the water is cold and the air is cold, feel inside the dogs ears...if they're cold, the dog is cold. If they're warm, the dog is just fine. I keep a wool blanket in my boat for those extremely cold days. I keep the dog wrapped up in the blanket when she comes back from a retrieve.

As far as vests, I always run a vest on my Golden because the Avery dog vest has a handle which makes pulling her up in the boat much easier. Plus I like how it breaks up the look of her coat. I don't worry too much about snags on the vest because I'm not sending my dog into any place where she'll be in danger. She retrieves birds shot over decoys. I won't even send her on a sailing cripple.

Pete,

What about keeping an army surplus wool blanket in the boat for Otto? Might help to keep him warm after a retrieve and it will not wick heat away from him like other blankets. Maybe just toss it over his back while he's sitting and waiting?

Ryan

When I lived in Vermont, my labs were outdoors during the day, every day, as long as the forecast high was above 10F for the day... the kennels had houses and dry straw and other than when a bitch was in season, they all kenneled together and shared the big dog house. By late duck season they had a decent coat. I also kept a wool army blanket in the boat/blind. When the dog was not working, they were on the blanket and when cold or wet, they were covered over. Made a great "place" in anyones boat or blind and they all new it well. I still have that same blanket... full of dog hair and wet dog smell... though it has been washed many, many times! I will use that blanket or a replacement forever... worked very well for me in my training and kept them comfortable.

Dave

Austin seems to shiver no matter what the weather and I think this comes more from excitement and anxiousness than being cold. I rarely use the vest, I think I put it on 3 times this year and I probably didnt even need to do that. That being said every time I do use it he is bone dry underneath the vest, isn't this the piont of the vest?? So sure neoprene will hold water in but the vest should fit snuggly enough to prevent water from getting underneath...

Tod,

It doesn't work. I put on a nice layer of blubber and still get cold...and I find it harder to breathe while chukar hunting. I just cannot recommend it.

Your mileage may very.

My best,

Don

Back