The 1983 Merrymeeting Scull Boat Project

Anthony Babich

Gold Sponsor
Yes, another project! Kicked off the month of July with pulling out the ole' Scull boat from storage. This project all started from the idea of how to provide a unique hunting experience for our clients here on Long Island, NY as I spend some of my time during the season guiding trips on the island's north fork region.
I wanted to provide a unique experience that would encompass the traditional ways of waterfowling the marsh creeks where we provide this service yet at the same time be useful for open water hunts for my own use with family / friends.

In February of 2024 I came across a listing for this 1983 Merrymeeting Scull Boat, It was listed out of New Jersey for a reasonable price. The seller was the son of the original owner and advised me he grew up with his dad hunting this sole boat all across the eastern shore of New Jersey for both freshwater honey holes & saltwater marshes. After asking for a few additional images of the boat & learning about the long stories of it's life I decided to make the trip down before a work day.. and add it to the ever-growing addiction / collection LOL.

With a nice 2-1/2 hour ride on a Monday, I successfully made it to New Egypt, NJ where I met the son Chris. Immediately upon my arrival he began the many stores of this boat, its history and the memories that sparked his interest in the sport. After looking her over she seemed in good shape, in need of a few fiberglass repairs nothing major some from the eager boat ramp launch, some from over tightening the straps, and some just from the wear / tear of the seasons. Luckily for me the trailer was fairly new 2021.
The boat being 39 years old was mainly kept inside which was a nice element to its life, however the original paint could be seen bleeding thru what seemed like a dark green of some sort. Chris explained his father had painted the boat based on where they would hunt mostly with whatever paint was around.

After my arrival back to NY, I began researching the company / boat history. I found out it was actually called the Brant II by Lock-Stock & Barrel. Lou had designed the boat even better after its original Sculling design in the late 1970's. This style of gunning looked to be fading away with only a few left who actually sculled the boats. I know from working with The Duck Boat Company out of East Dennis, MA these boats are still made & provided with one selling just a few months ago in Louisiana.

So, first off I decided to fix the minor fiberglass repairs first, then sanded with a 60 grit, then researched for a color that would best fit my applications of this vessel. Keeping in mind I wanted to use this for both open water / back bay creek gunning I decided to use an Awlgrip Grey for the hull similar to another layout boat I did a few years back. The aerial drone footage of that boat proved the concealment color would be perfect. Additionally, I would be using grassed mesh netting for the topsides when using in that environment. These could be simply tucked inside a bin up in the bow when needed.

With all the other projects going on, I decided to keep this one as simple as possible so I kept the original grassing posts, hardware on the exterior and stern oar slot. My plans down the road will be to add a bow eye for towing, synthetic back-rests and a grass rail in the middle section.

With this type of boat there were many options for movement... I cleaned up the oars & hardware, also sanded down and painted the sculling oar.

Recently, this past weekend I had the opportunity to test out the features / performance of this boat. I tried multiple power options from a 6hp Outboard, Rowing Setup and of course the Sculling technique which takes a bit of getting used too.

For the weight distribution I added 50lbs of lead to the bow when maneuvering to get that 2nd person experience when motoring / rowing / sculling. The boat performed flawless and literally floats in inches of water. I was thoroughly impressed with this rig!

I also added a 6hp and noticed the performance was stern heavy but with the weight up the in the bow to counteract this along with an extension handle the boat handled nicely and allowed quick & stable maneuvering.

I was also thoroughly impressed with the way she tows! I was reluctant to use the original bow handle but after discussing with others who had done the same the boat towed very well, tested with / without the motor. The stern weight definately helps in handling.

As for now, approaching August the transition will be to season prep for Doves at the family farm in Maryland.

Excited to use this new piece of the fleet this season sharing the experience with clients and keeping alive this tradition for the next generation to enjoy & as always will keep the updates coming!

-Anthony

006.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg
007.jpg

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 2.19.06 PM.png

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 2.21.57 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 2.22.48 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 2.23.55 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 2.24.40 PM.png

Last edited:
Nice to see one of Lou's LS&B boats on the water! He was really active here back in the day, havent seen him post in years.
She cleaned up very well.
The hull seems to be sitting on top of the water, impressive very shallow draft.

Tell me more about that skiff you're towing her with, nice looking hull too!
Hey Carl,
That boat is a gem! It's a 1985 Chincoteague Garvey made by Glass Boat Works In VA.
Perfect lil rig for the back bays not too many 16's out there mostly 18, 20 models.

I originally got the boat with a console version and converted to a tiller.

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 4.41.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 4.42.32 PM.png

Hey Carl,
That boat is a gem! It's a 1985 Chincoteague Garvey made by Glass Boat Works In VA.
Perfect lil rig for the back bays not too many 16's out there mostly 18, 20 models.

I originally got the boat with a console version and converted to a tiller.

View attachment 56907

View attachment 56909
Man, that in an 18' with a casting deck up front would be an awfully nice 2-man striper skiff for protected waters.

Very cool boats!
Heavy for their size, I bet they handle a chop well.

Great boats Anthony. I would love to do a scull hunt. I think you are going to enjoy that boat. I also am familiar with and really like your Chincoteague scow. I used to hunt in Chincoteague bay a little and that is where I learned about them and rode in them. Great bay boat, the best for this part of the country.

Man, that in an 18' with a casting deck up front would be an awfully nice 2-man striper skiff for protected waters.
I ran a Chincoteague 18 for several years in our coastal bays and river. You'd actually be surprised how well they'll handle rough water with proper operation. They will take you there and back in seas you have no business being in but they're going to wet you in the process! Great hulls but sadly Carolina skiffs have taken their place locally mainly due to their added carrying capacity.

Yes, another project! Kicked off the month of July with pulling out the ole' Scull boat from storage. This project all started from the idea of how to provide a unique hunting experience for our clients here on Long Island, NY as I spend some of my time during the season guiding trips on the island's north fork region.
I wanted to provide a unique experience that would encompass the traditional ways of waterfowling the marsh creeks where we provide this service yet at the same time be useful for open water hunts for my own use with family / friends.

In February of 2024 I came across a listing for this 1985 Merrymeeting Scull Boat, It was listed out of New Jersey for a reasonable price. The seller was the son of the original owner and advised me he grew up with his dad hunting this sole boat all across the eastern shore of New Jersey for both freshwater honey holes & saltwater marshes. After asking for a few additional images of the boat & learning about the long stories of it's life I decided to make the trip down before a work day.. and add it to the ever-growing addiction / collection LOL.

With a nice 2-1/2 hour ride on a Monday, I successfully made it to New Egypt, NJ where I met the son Chris. Immediately upon my arrival he began the many stores of this boat, its history and the memories that sparked his interest in the sport. After looking her over she seemed in good shape, in need of a few fiberglass repairs nothing major some from the eager boat ramp launch, some from over tightening the straps, and some just from the wear / tear of the seasons. Luckily for me the trailer was fairly new 2021.
The boat being 39 years old was mainly kept inside which was a nice element to its life, however the original paint could be seen bleeding thru what seemed like a dark green of some sort. Chris explained his father had painted the boat based on where they would hunt mostly with whatever paint was around.

After my arrival back to NY, I began researching the company / boat history. I found out it was actually called the Brant II by Lock-Stock & Barrel. Lou had designed the boat even better after its original Sculling design in the late 1970's. This style of gunning looked to be fading away with only a few left who actually sculled the boats. I know from working with The Duck Boat Company out of East Dennis, MA these boats are still made & provided with one selling just a few months ago in Louisiana.

So, first off I decided to fix the minor fiberglass repairs first, then sanded with a 60 grit, then researched for a color that would best fit my applications of this vessel. Keeping in mind I wanted to use this for both open water / back bay creek gunning I decided to use an Awlgrip Grey for the hull similar to another layout boat I did a few years back. The aerial drone footage of that boat proved the concealment color would be perfect. Additionally, I would be using grassed mesh netting for the topsides when using in that environment. These could be simply tucked inside a bin up in the bow when needed.

With all the other projects going on, I decided to keep this one as simple as possible so I kept the original grassing posts, hardware on the exterior and stern oar slot. My plans down the road will be to add a bow eye for towing, synthetic back-rests and a grass rail in the middle section.

With this type of boat there were many options for movement... I cleaned up the oars & hardware, also sanded down and painted the sculling oar.

Recently, this past weekend I had the opportunity to test out the features / performance of this boat. I tried multiple power options from a 6hp Outboard, Rowing Setup and of course the Sculling technique which takes a bit of getting used too.

For the weight distribution I added 50lbs of lead to the bow when maneuvering to get that 2nd person experience when motoring / rowing / sculling. The boat performed flawless and literally floats in inches of water. I was thoroughly impressed with this rig!

I also added a 6hp and noticed the performance was stern heavy but with the weight up the in the bow to counteract this along with an extension handle the boat handled nicely and allowed quick & stable maneuvering.

I was also thoroughly impressed with the way she tows! I was reluctant to use the original bow handle but after discussing with others who had done the same the boat towed very well, tested with / without the motor. The stern weight definately helps in handling.

As for now, approaching August the transition will be to season prep for Doves at the family farm in Maryland.

Excited to use this new piece of the fleet this season sharing the experience with clients and keeping alive this tradition for the next generation to enjoy & as always will keep the updates coming!

-Anthony

View attachment 56875

View attachment 56876

View attachment 56877

View attachment 56878
View attachment 56880

View attachment 56882

View attachment 56883

View attachment 56884

View attachment 56885

View attachment 56886

View attachment 56887

View attachment 56888

View attachment 56889

View attachment 56890

View attachment 56891
Anthony,
Your Merrymeeting is not a 1985 boat. In 1985, Lock, Stock & Barrel the company that made the fiberglass version of a 2 man Merrymeeting sculler was still owned by Gene Chandler and and they were being made in Elkhart, Indiana. I know this because Gene delivered my sculler in the spring of 1986. Gene also owned E. Allen decoys at the time. Sometime later (you'd have to talk to Lou to find out exactly when) Lou Tisch bought the E. Allen and Lock, Stock, & Barrel molds from Gene and began to produce the sculler pictured with a few minor modifications to the lines of the upper deck.
Great boats, and they were ideal for sculling the banks along the main stem of the Ohio River. My sons and I killed lots of ducks and geese out of the sculler. Loafing birds paid them little mind as they were used to seeing logs and other debris flushed out of the creeks & floating downriver whenever the water-levels rose after heavy rainfall. When the birds were in this boat was deadly. I can tell you that sculling is a young man's game, and will flat wear you out! Sold mine some years back.
Gene delivered my boat in the back of his pick up, and instead of taking payment for gas money for doing so , picked out an oversize black cork blackduck decoy from a rig of them I had made. We also took the boat to a local farm pond that day, and he gave me a sculling lesson before heading back to Indiana.
Sculler.jpg
scullboat.jpg

NEWYEARSDAY 003.jpg
Later on in its career, the boat got a new "tree-bark" paint job & scull shields. I always sculled from a side-saddle, seated position with my dominant (right) hand reaching back across my chest to work the figure 8 motion of the sculling oar. This gave me lots more power to propel the boat and the birds never seemed to mind the increased height of the rear sculling shield.
newscull.jpg

Anthony,
Your Merrymeeting is not a 1985 boat. In 1985, Lock, Stock & Barrel the company that made the fiberglass version of a 2 man Merrymeeting sculler was still owned by Gene Chandler and and they were being made in Elkhart, Indiana. I know this because Gene delivered my sculler in the spring of 1986. Gene also owned E. Allen decoys at the time. Sometime later (you'd have to talk to Lou to find out exactly when) Lou Tisch bought the E. Allen and Lock, Stock, & Barrel molds from Gene and began to produce the sculler pictured with a few minor modifications to the lines of the upper deck.
Great boats, and they were ideal for sculling the banks along the main stem of the Ohio River. My sons and I killed lots of ducks and geese out of the sculler. Loafing birds paid them little mind as they were used to seeing logs and other debris flushed out of the creeks & floating downriver whenever the water-levels rose after heavy rainfall. When the birds were in this boat was deadly. I can tell you that sculling is a young man's game, and will flat wear you out! Sold mine some years back.
Gene delivered my boat in the back of his pick up, and instead of taking payment for gas money for doing so , picked out an oversize black cork blackduck decoy from a rig of them I had made. We also took the boat to a local farm pond that day, and he gave me a sculling lesson before heading back to Indiana.
View attachment 56912
View attachment 56913

View attachment 56916
Later on in its career, the boat got a new "tree-bark" paint job & scull shields. I always sculled from a side-saddle, seated position with my dominant (right) hand reaching back across my chest to work the figure 8 motion of the sculling oar. This gave me lots more power to propel the boat and the birds never seemed to mind the increased height of the rear sculling shield.
View attachment 56914
Hey Bob,
FANTASTIC Photos! Thanks for the info, I'll have to check the registration again but it's nice to see a Scull with a blind on it! Looks deadly for sure, got me even more excited for the season ahead!

Sculling may well be the the most under rated way to waterfowl hunt, when in fact it is lethal and addictive. LS&B was in Elkhart, Indiana when the boats were first produced. Those were wonderful times. Duck numbers were low yet still we went and hunted. We could not help ourselves....

Anthony you will enjoy using that scull boat and good hunting.

Bob, Thank you for the story and photo's. Waterfowling history needs to be told and the origins known.

Best regards
Vince

Anthony,
Will try to find any pictures I might have of how the boat looked when the front compartment gunner was sitting with the camo-cover I designed for him draped over his upper body. It could be thrown off easily so he could mount his gun and shoot. Also trained whatever Lab I had at the time to lay in the front compartment so I could take them along when hunting solo if I chose.
If it's an '83 then it definitely pre-dates Lou's ownership of Lock, Stock, & Barrell. Must be an earlier version produced by Gene. Later versions had bump outs on the sides of the gunners compartments where Gene had designed small shelves into the top to accommodate shell boxes, etc. The grassing tubes pop riveted down the sides are the same on your boat. TDB's version which came out later incorporated rails, a camo pattern, and a heavier fiberglass lay-up. My boat had a brass fitting for the sculling oar hole that came with a plug large enough to close it off. Also came with the curved sculling oar, a set of rowing oars and flush mounted oar locks. I had a leather wrap on my oar to protect it while sculling and used a simple neoprene wrap on it whole running under motor power to prevent water leaking into the sculler, as I would run with the oar in place and tilted up out of the water while under power or when glassing far ahead for birds while running along at a crawl. When I'd spot birds far ahead, I'd lift the motor so the lower unit was fully out of the water, slip the neoprene wrap off the oar and begin my sculling run.
Some times the birds would hold where they were, and at other times you'd get into a cat and mouse game that went on for close to an hour where they'd slowly move ahead of you feeding while you tried not to spook them. Got a great story about when my wife was in the front gunners compartment at 6 months pregnant and having to stop and let her off on the bank on a particularly long scull when she needed to pee. I did continue on and killed my limit of mallards before going back to pick her up - but she was a trouper about it.
Gene always had a booth at the Waterfowl Festival at Point Moulie, MI. That's where I first saw his scullers and met him. Saw the TDB 14's for the first time at the point show as well. It was years before I could afford to invest in either boat, but eventually I acquired both - the sculler coming first and the TDB ten years later.
Perhaps Lou will see this post and be able to fill in the gaps On different era's of Brant I & II production.
I used to tow it on a converted motorcycle trailer with an extended tongue to accommodate its length. I used a little 4 hp Merc on it for a while and then a Johnson 8 which is still hanging on the outboard rack in my garage.

Last edited:
Very interesting thread. I own a LSB sculler purchased from Lou in 1988. We picked it up at his home near Lake St Claire as a kit and assembled it that summer. I believe both Gene Chandler and Chuck Brownewell made molds and produced the first sculler here in Elkhart Indiana. Lou may have been invloved with Gene and Ceb at that time but I don't know that for sure. My first scull was in the prototype with Ceb on a local lake on an early Thanksgiving morning. Lou would come to Elkhart at least once a year to double scull an unnamed river here in northern Indiana. One morning I passed a pick up truck with two scull boats stacked in the bed. I hope Lou can chime in on this post and share some more info about these wonderful boats.

Anthony,
Love that heron decoy on the sculler! Great photo.

Anthony,
Will try to find any pictures I might have of how the boat looked when the front compartment gunner was sitting with the camo-cover I designed for him draped over his upper body. It could be thrown off easily so he could mount his gun and shoot. Also trained whatever Lab I had at the time to lay in the front compartment so I could take them along when hunting solo if I chose.
If it's an '83 then it definitely pre-dates Lou's ownership of Lock, Stock, & Barrell. Must be an earlier version produced by Gene. Later versions had bump outs on the sides of the gunners compartments where Gene had designed small shelves into the top to accommodate shell boxes, etc. The grassing tubes pop riveted down the sides are the same on your boat. TDB's version which came out later incorporated rails, a camo pattern, and a heavier fiberglass lay-up. My boat had a brass fitting for the sculling oar hole that came with a plug large enough to close it off. Also came with the curved sculling oar, a set of rowing oars and flush mounted oar locks. I had a leather wrap on my oar to protect it while sculling and used a simple neoprene wrap on it whole running under motor power to prevent water leaking into the sculler, as I would run with the oar in place and tilted up out of the water while under power or when glassing far ahead for birds while running along at a crawl. When I'd spot birds far ahead, I'd lift the motor so the lower unit was fully out of the water, slip the neoprene wrap off the oar and begin my sculling run.
Some times the birds would hold where they were, and at other times you'd get into a cat and mouse game that went on for close to an hour where they'd slowly move ahead of you feeding while you tried not to spook them. Got a great story about when my wife was in the front gunners compartment at 6 months pregnant and having to stop and let her off on the bank on a particularly long scull when she needed to pee. I did continue on and killed my limit of mallards before going back to pick her up - but she was a trouper about it.
Gene always had a booth at the Waterfowl Festival at Point Moulie, MI. That's where I first saw his scullers and met him. Saw the TDB 14's for the first time at the point show as well. It was years before I could afford to invest in either boat, but eventually I acquired both - the sculler coming first and the TDB ten years later.
Perhaps Lou will see this post and be able to fill in the gaps On different era's of Brant I & II production.
I used to tow it on a converted motorcycle trailer with an extended tongue to accommodate its length. I used a little 4 hp Merc on it for a while and then a Johnson 8 which is still hanging on the outboard rack in my garage.
That is fantastic Bob! Sounds like a real thrilling way to hunt em, how in the world did you get her to go in that boat 6mo pregnant! Trooper for sure

That is fantastic Bob! Sounds like a real thrilling way to hunt em, how in the world did you get her to go in that boat 6mo pregnant! Trooper for sure
Anthony,
Found a picture of that day when she hunted at 6 mos. pregnant. This was taken back at the ramp. She is standing in front of another scullboat that was working that stretch of the river that same day. That one is an Ohio River flip boat. Sculler actually rolls it over on one side when drifting down on birds.
IMGP0344.JPG

And here is the cartoon Joe Wooster drew and

sent us when he heard about it:
JWcartoon forSarah.jpg

Scullers-eye view of a massive raft of birds getting up ahead of me:
sculler.jpg

Back