The last 48 hours---

Al Hansen

Two days ago, I about froze to death. I'm not used to 12F temps any more. Even Habi was shivering so I put on her coat, which did help.
It was a long morning with not too much action.
Yesterday, if it hadn't have been for two groups of ducks, I would have placed another 0 in the column. Good things did happen, however when I had 3 mallards come right into the set. They all stayed because Habi needed the practice. She had seen two of the three drop and so I let her pick up the two hens. The drake, I knew was dead, so I waited for better light and then got her on track to pick it up.
After that it was a very long wait, almost 3 hours until a pair of baldpates flew into my spread. I guess I would have to say that they are my favorite duck to shoot. The hardest shot was the hen, so I took her first and that made the second shot on the drake an easy one. There is nothing in the sport of duck hunting that surpasses the heart filled pride of watching your retriever do what comes naturally.
Al

_MG_8183.jpg

_MG_8194.jpg

This is the bird that I watched drop like a rock so I left it there until the light was better hoping for a few pictures. Habi stopped and changed positions on that bird twice before she gave it to me.

_MG_8234.jpg

As you can see, the water level has dropped 6 to 8 inches. Soon I will have to find another spot to hunt if this continues.

_MG_8249.jpg

_MG_8255.jpg

_MG_8257.jpg

_MG_8269.jpg

_MG_8271.jpg

This is what my little corner of the world looks like at the present time. I have sat here many days and never fired a shot, but I don't care. Duck hunting has so much more to offer than just taking birds.

_MG_8281.jpg

_MG_8295.jpg

_MG_8301.jpg

_MG_8322.jpg

_MG_8325.jpg

_MG_8327.jpg

_MG_8340.jpg

_MG_8348.jpg

This was one good looking adult drake widgeon.

_MG_8365.jpg

_MG_8368.jpg

The rancher just moved his critters back on this parcel of land where I cut firewood. I guess he has about 8 longhorn heifers there.

_MG_8395.jpg

Life is Good!

_MG_8412.jpg

Your a lucky man Al. What I and a lot of others wouldn't give for your little water hole where your not fighting countless others for the spot on any giving morning or have to show up at midnight just to have others come in at daylight and setup in front of you. 12 degrees....man that is cold!

12 degrees is cold, I dont care where you are!

Great story & pics as usual.

Thanks, Al.
Always enjoy your stories and pictures. That's a beautiful part of the world you live in...
Nice to meet the man behind the camera, too!
All the best of the New Year,
Dan

Hi Al

I thought you wanted some duck weather so I sent a little chill down to you , sorry if it was a little cold.
We have plenty more up here if you would like some. LOL.

Those are some very nice pics, I really like the one with the clouds coming down the mountain and of course all the ones with Habi in them too.

Your a lucky man Al. What I and a lot of others wouldn't give for your little water hole where your not fighting countless others for the spot on any giving morning or have to show up at midnight just to have others come in at daylight and setup in front of you. 12 degrees....man that is cold!

When I think of it, Ed, I was lucky growing up in the 40s and 50s. I had some great mentors who taught me a lot about duck hunting. I also found out early in life the importance of asking permission from the farmers.
Secondly, moving to Alaska when I did in the 60s paid off handsomely. I never knew what it was like to have competition. The only time in my hunting career where I knew about pressure from others was while I lived in Wisconsin and hunted the Ackley Wildlife area between Wausau and Antigo.
When I moved to New Mexico I found two ranchers who were willing to trust me with a key to their ranches. I guess I can compare this state with Alaska.
Al

PS
Ed, they are saying that tomorrow morning's temp will be around the 14F mark. The good news is that it will warm up into the high 20s each morning next week.

"Duck hunting has so much more to offer than just taking birds."
I couldn't agree more.
Love the photos Al, per usual they are outstanding! Still waiting for my 'favorite' pup, Chaco to be photographed on one of your hunts.
Best - Paul

12 degrees is cold, I dont care where you are!

Great story & pics as usual.

Carl, I know that when I decided to move down here I never realized it would drop down that far but then I did forget about the fact that we are situated at 4,600 feet. It does make a difference. Last year it dropped down to -20F. That one was not fun.
Glad you like the pics.
Al

Great photos! Nice widgeon! Those cockelburs look menacing.

Thanks so much, Tom. I really do like widgeons. As for the cockleburs, they are a pain. Not for me so much but for the dogs. Soon the ground will be covered with them and Habi will have to start tiptoeing around.
Al

Thanks, Al.
Always enjoy your stories and pictures. That's a beautiful part of the world you live in...
Nice to meet the man behind the camera, too!
All the best of the New Year,
Dan

Hey Dan, I sure appreciated the comments. We love it down here but then when I think of your country, I automatically become envious. We are both fortunate.
Glad you liked the pictures and stories.
Al

Hi Al

I thought you wanted some duck weather so I sent a little chill down to you , sorry if it was a little cold.

Those are some very nice pics, I really like the one with the clouds coming down the mountain and of course all the ones with Habi in them too.

I guess I forgot to tell you, Doug, that my idea of ducky weather is anywhere from the low 30s to the middle 50s.
Hey, guess what, Salsa is due in about 5 days. I am beginning to use the thermometer.
Al

Love the longhorns Al, we sure don't have those in New Jersey!

Greg, I wished the rancher would have brought out his bull. Diesel is one huge critter but found out last year how easy it was to go through a fence. Andy decided to keep him at home and just let his heifers range out where I cut.
Al

Beautiful as ever Al!!

Thanks a lot, Jake. By the way I sure did enjoy those pics of your super successful duck and goose hunts in Colorado.
Have a safe holiday with your family.
Al

Hi Al

I guess I forgot to tell you, Doug, that my idea of ducky weather is anywhere from the low 30s to the middle 50s.
Hey, guess what, Salsa is due in about 5 days. I am beginning to use the thermometer.
Al

Congrats on the upcoming litter!
Hope its a large one.

"Duck hunting has so much more to offer than just taking birds."
I couldn't agree more.
Love the photos Al, per usual they are outstanding! Still waiting for my 'favorite' pup, Chaco to be photographed on one of your hunts.
Best - Paul

Thanks so much, Paul. Good to hear from you. The other day I was thinking about all the hunting I have done and most of my great memories about hunts really don't have much to do with ducks but other things within the wildlife family and or my environment.
I will try to accommodate you with that wish by the way.
Al

Back