Vintage duck boat

Stef~

Pretty sure it's not - but I always defer to Jersey boys on Barnegat matters.

As it happens, I helped a friend buy a Van Sant a few years ago at Tuckerton - and I did some restoration work on it:

View attachment 59686

I see 2 important differences. Your vessel is sheer-sided - whereas the Van Sants are feather-edged. On your boat, the deck and bottom meet at a side; the deck joins the side at the gunwale and the bottom meets the side at the chine.

View attachment 59687

The other difference is the sheer line. On your vessel, the sheer appears to be straight/flat fore and aft. On the Van Sant, the sheer sweeps up gently toward the bow. (In fact, the sheer on most traditional boats is usually lowest about a third of the way forward from the transom.)

There were (and still are) many makers of Barnegat Bay Sneakboxes - each with their own ideas about what is "best". The differences are often subtle.

Keep looking!

SJS

Stef,

The boat looks like it could have been built using the Megargee plans, published in Field & Stream c. 1946. I built four from those plans in the 80s and 90s. I'm not sure the plywood would take the curves however, maybe only on the deck as is the case on your boat. Only a guess though, you might compare the boat to those plans. I believe they're in the resources section here on DHBP.

May I ask what I'm looking at here in this picture? Is there a tunnel to the hull? What does the inside at the transom look like? When I look at you boat this one comes to mind from Glen L boat plans although there are differences.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241014-190745~2.png
    Screenshot_20241014-190745~2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20241014-195302.png
    Screenshot_20241014-195302.png
    848.2 KB · Views: 18
Stef,

The boat looks like it could have been built using the Megargee plans, published in Field & Stream c. 1946. I built four from those plans in the 80s and 90s. I'm not sure the plywood would take the curves however, maybe only on the deck as is the case on your boat. Only a guess though, you might compare the boat to those plans. I believe they're in the resources section here on DHBP.
SJ & Stef~

Here is a shot of the Megargee SCAUP plans. I suggest you compare measurements. Perhaps your cockpit is a bit longer?

Obviously, your vessel does not have a daggerboard trunk or masst step - and no ice runners. But, both vessels have an external keel in addition to a skeg.

Harry Megargee Sneakbox SCAUP plans sm.jpg

Hope this helps!

SJS

SJ & Stef~

Here is a shot of the Megargee SCAUP plans. I suggest you compare measurements. Perhaps your cockpit is a bit longer?

Obviously, your vessel does not have a daggerboard trunk or masst step - and no ice runners. But, both vessels have an external keel in addition to a skeg.

View attachment 59736

Hope this helps!

SJS
Thanks Steve.

I never built one with the daggerboard well. My grandfather did and that was where it always leaked. They're quite easy to build without the well. The keel on the Megargee plan is just the center plank, 5/8 while the rest is planked with 1/2 or less. I built a pair entirely out of Philippine mahogany with 1/4" planks. Epic fail, but that's another story.

The more I look at Stef's boat the less convinced I am that it was built from these plans. It's so tough to tell from photos as there are many similar boats, like the GlenL that Ed posted. Although I thought the GlenL was sheathed entirely in plywood.

Ed, SJ, the first post stated the lady he bought it from said it was over 90 years old, and her parents hunted from it. The plans you are discussing were not in existence 90 years ago. That should make you even more less convinced it was built from Glen-L or Megargee's plans 😁. Although plywood was available in the 1930s, I suspect the deck planks were replaced with plywood at some point. The hull itself looks to still be carvel planked. With proper a proper restoration, starting with clown paint removal, I can see a beautiful Barnegat Bay Sneak Box.

p.s. The bird looking figure is a bit creepy. Reminds me of the plague doctor mask worn in "Eyes Wide Shut."

Last edited:
The more I keep reading about all these new boat builds and restorations, the more I want to move back to someplace with ducks and build a Devlin Broadbill!

Thanks Steve.

I never built one with the daggerboard well. My grandfather did and that was where it always leaked. They're quite easy to build without the well. The keel on the Megargee plan is just the center plank, 5/8 while the rest is planked with 1/2 or less. I built a pair entirely out of Philippine mahogany with 1/4" planks. Epic fail, but that's another story.

The more I look at Stef's boat the less convinced I am that it was built from these plans. It's so tough to tell from photos as there are many similar boats, like the GlenL that Ed posted. Although I thought the GlenL was sheathed entirely in plywood.
Yes, I got off topic a bit. Christopher Columbus Smith, got started as the owner of Chris Craft in the late 1800s with duck boats but they were strip built double enders. The 40s and 50s were the highlight of plywood built hulls. I inherited my grandfather's 1954 Neptune Mahogany runabout. It was a steam and fitted hull with minimal bracing. It was the 2 piece type you put in the water and let the water seal the wood half's. It wasn't my intention to mean the boat in question is a Glen L. Glen L started in 1953. I was just saying the boat reminds me of the Glen L. All these plans had to start from somewhere.

Carl, I still have my Broad Bill plans I bought 20 years ago.

May I ask what I'm looking at here in this picture? Is there a tunnel to the hull? What does the inside at the transom look like? When I look at you boat this one comes to mind from Glen L boat plans although there are differences.
IMG_5886.jpegHere is a better pic. They are made of metal and have Robertson screws holding them on.

Stef~

Thanks for that photo. My Dad called those "squash boards" - although our were on either side, attached to the bottom - on a 16-foot sharpie we owned. Their purpose is to prevent a boat from squatting under power.

Nowadays, there are Doel Fins, trim tabs, and powertrim as options.

I see a wedge was added to the motor board to get the correct (or improved) rake to the outboard - because the transom looks to be vertical - not the 15 or 16 degrees on most outboard-powered vessels.

Those 2 features - squash boards and wedge - tell me she's a displacement hull. She probably wants a 3-horse for power.

All the best,

SJS

Stef~

Thanks for that photo. My Dad called those "squash boards" - although our were on either side, attached to the bottom - on a 16-foot sharpie we owned. Their purpose is to prevent a boat from squatting under power.

Nowadays, there are Doel Fins, trim tabs, and powertrim as options.

I see a wedge was added to the motor board to get the correct (or improved) rake to the outboard - because the transom looks to be vertical - not the 15 or 16 degrees on most outboard-powered vessels.

Those 2 features - squash boards and wedge - tell me she's a displacement hull. She probably wants a 3-horse for power.

All the best,

SJS
Good morning, Stef~

I'm still wondering where you are - and whether visiting this "mystery boat" might fit into my travels.

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Stef~

I'm still wondering where you are - and whether visiting this "mystery boat" might fit into my travels.

All the best,

SJS
I’m in New Brunswick Canada.
Here’s my progress so far…

Attachments

• IMG_5942.jpeg
    IMG_5942.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5943.jpeg
    IMG_5943.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5944.jpeg