What do you feed your dogs?

Mike

We're going to bring home our new Lab pup in about 2 weeks. I'm wondering what food will be best for her. The breeder uses a non-commercial brand that he said we wouldn't be able to get. He did say that he will send home a few pounds to mix into our chosen food so not to upset her stomach with the switch. I've heard that a high protein food is the way to go. What brand do you use?

Here she is with my 2 girls. We're going to call her "Jersey".
DSCN0007.JPG
DSCN0009.JPG

Well, today my four-year-old son said if he saw a mean bear, he would take a sharp knife to it, take out the meat and feed it to our dog Dixie. Although, bear is not usually in her diet. It is normally IAMS.

While high in price we went with proplan puppy while she was under a year. Figured it was a good idea while her body was developing and growing. Now we feed the cheaper hi-energy working dog dog chow (can't remember the exact name). It seems to do her well, plenty of energy and consistently small solid stool.

By the way, nice looking pup!

Brad

Stay away from any food with lamb. Nothing wrong with lamb,it is great for dogs that develops allergies later on. If you start a puppy out on lamb, it has no where to go if it later develops allergies.

We feed a mixture of Diamond Puppy and Purina Pro-Plan Puppy. so customers can go with either brand. At three months, we switch the puppies to Diamond Natural Extreme Athlete Chicken and Rice Formula.

Hope this helps.

I feed DIAMOND brand dog food. I went thru the stages and ended up with the best food for my chesapeake. The 50 lb bag is 23-24 dollars a bag but it last twice as long as "store" brands. I have had alot less waste, and healthier looking coats than I have with others.

Nice looking pup! I have always had good results with IAMS, nice coats and good energy levels. My vet told me Eukanuba and IAMS are made by the same company though Eukanuba is more expensive. Good luck with the new addition to the family.

Take Care,
Gene

We have had good luck with Eukanuba puppy. My wife works for a Vet and they recommend taking them off the puppy food at six months. I've tried lots of different foods for out guys but we like the Eukanuba the best.
Good luck with the pup!!

Eukanuba! Our dogs have never had coat problems - ever.

Yea, Iams & Euk' are made by the same company, but so were Browning Pigeon grade & Midas grade shotguns.

Don't know if this is still an issue but definitely one as sportsmen we should consider...

Publication: The Washington Times
Publication Date: 14-JAN-04
Delivery: Immediate Online Access
Author:
Company: Iams Co.

Article Excerpt
Byline: Gene Mueller, THE WASHINGTON TIMES

If you own a dog as I do and you buy quality pet food for the pooch, wouldn't you like to know who your friends are in the pet food industry?

The U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance passes along the word that the Iams Co., maker of Iams and Eukanuba pet foods, has joined forces with the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation's largest anti-hunting organization.

Iams is sponsoring Pet Fest America, a series of animal shows across the country, and the Alliance says HSUS developed the shows, which debuted in 2003 and will continue through this spring.

Bud Pidgeon, president of the Sportsmen's Alliance, said, "Sportsmen, and in particular sporting dog owners, understand the threat HSUS poses to hunting, field trialing and...

Brad

I feed Nutro and have now for 25+ years with no problems. Good point on the laamb and rice food and alergies though. I did hear about the IAMS/HSUS alliance but not sure what it all means. HSUS is a bad group.

I feed Purina Pro Plan adult chicken and rice since the day we got him. He i doing fione with it.

Proplan performance from day 1, year round. On my mom's dog (hrch char) who goes home & out of training at times, she eats pro plan adult while at home to keep from putting any weight on. I used to feed proplan puppy until about 9 months, then switched to performance, but after doing a lot of study, the only difference in feeds is a little more protien in the performance, and a very slight calcium %, but both calcuim numbers are well within reccomended for pups. travis

Purina Pro or Purina One, usually chicken & rice. Tried Eukanuba for a few bags and didn't notice any difference. Otto has skin problems ie. skin infections, allergies, etc. changing foods hasn't helped him.

Diamond large breed puppy for a year then I fed the Diamond Hi-Energy during season and cold weather during Spring/Summer I feed Diamond Maintenance formula food. Never have paid more than $20 for a bag of dog food feeding Diamond and with two labs they go through the food. Same ammount of waste as others who feed other brands. Train the dog to go in a certain area of the yard to make pickup or avoidance easier.

My Black Lab Pup is 18 weeks and we have switched him over from iams lg breed puppy to a food called 'Solid Gold'. It is expensive but should give you a longer & healthier life for your hunting buddy which hopefully means less spent at the vet! It is recomended by the pro trainer I use. 'Jet" seems to be happy with it too. Good Luck!

Don't know if this is still an issue .....

If you own a dog as I do and you buy quality pet food for the pooch, wouldn't you like to know who your friends are in the pet food industry?

It's not; Iams apparently listens to hunting dog owners (from the Iams Website):

Pet Fest America Sponsorship
The Iams Company is officially announcing an end to its sponsorship of Pet Fest America with HSUS. We appreciate the feedback we received from the sporting dog community and apologize for any frustration that this sponsorship may have caused. We are definitely pro-dog and clearly not anti-hunting.
As a leader in the pet industry, The Iams Company has a goal to educate all pet lovers on the benefits of pet health care and nutrition – from the family pet to the active competitor. Iams and Eukanuba brands look forward to continuing our long history of support of the sporting dog community (see below). We hope to focus on the future – great performing foods for great performing dogs.
Past and future sporting dog sponsorships and support include:
  • AKC Master National Hunt Test
  • AKC National Gun Dog Championship
  • AKC Pointer National Championship
  • Brittany Dog of the Year
  • Canadian National Amateur Retriever Championship
  • Canadian National Retriever Championship
  • ESPN Great Outdoor Games
  • Eukanuba Beagle Championship
  • German Wirehaired Pointer Nationals & Specialty
  • GSPCA National Specialty
  • National Amateur Retriever Championship
  • National Bird Dog Championship
  • National German Pointing Dog Championship
  • National Retriever Championship
  • NGSPA Championship
  • Official U.S. Gun Dog Team, 2004 National Countrysports Fair, Northern Ireland
  • Vizsla Nationals & Specialty
  • Weimaraner Nationals & Winter specialty
  • The Iams Company is the only dog food company to support Armbruster Test, an international hunt test for Deutsche Drahthaars.
  • The Iams Company is the only dog food company to financially support the quail restoration project on the Ames Plantation, home to the National Bird Dog championship and for many years we have commissioned original oil paintings by Ross B. Young of the National Champion Bird Dog.
  • We conducted the Iams Retriever Symposium for breeders and trainers of retrievers and also support Team Eukanuba Seminars around the country.
  • We support Quail Unlimited, Pheasants forever, The Ruffed Grouse Society and Ducks Unlimited.
  • We publish Care and Nutrition of the sporting Dog, one of the only manuals for hunters and field trialers.
  • For over 20 years, The Iams Company has been the acknowledged leader in nutritional research for performance dogs. We developed the only "in the field" research study of pointing dogs and hunting performance.

Bob. I appreciate your post. As I stated in mine, I knew that was from awhile back and wasn't sure if it was still and issue.

Brad

Nutro, i have nothing but good things to say about it. Our dog has a sensitive digestive track and since switching to Nutro the problems have all but vanished.

Back