What is the perfect open water / skinny water boat

cjduncan

Now that my Chessie Tucker has gone over 90 pounds, I will need a bigger boat next year. My BBSB will be going up for sale again and that money is going towards a new boat. Most of my hunting is in saltwater mainly in the marshes and tributaries, the BBSB was the best for this. Now I will be adding diver hunting for next year and the BBSB is not made for this.

Here are a few boats i'm looking at:

Lund Alaskan
Estuary
TDB

What is your perfect boat for both open water and skinny water hunting?

cjd

I'm not sure where you live in MA but if you want a closer look at an Estuary I live in Swansea MA. It's about 15 min. east of Providence RI on Rt 195.

Phil

Chris,

What do you mean by "open water?" Are you just crossing a large water body to get to the area that divers frequent? Planning to float hunt with a boat blind? Layout hunt?

Or, do you plan to hunt from shore once you get to the spot? In the boat? Or from a blind?

Also, why do you think your current BBSB is inadequate? Not enough room? Not enough decoy storage? Not enough speed?

Answer all those questions and then figure out how much time you are going to spend in the marsh vs. open water. THEN decide which boat is better suited. I think that's the only way you'll be satisfied with your choice.

Now my $0.02...

As to the boats, even the venerable TDBs have too high of profile for NE coastal marshes in my opinion. A few times each year I get to hunt out of a Hawk HT14 (TDB 14 Classic) in Mass. It is a really comfortable and accommodating rig. But, it only hides well if we're near high banks or phragmites -- even if we grass the hell out of it. I imagine the Sea Class boats might be more problematic. In other settings, this wouldn't be an issue.

If the bulk of your hunting is still going to be in the marshes and tribs, you should stick with a sneakbox. So, the logical choice would be to upgrade to
an Estuary just to give you a little extra room and capacity.

I'd only switch to a boat blind if you plan on drastically changing the way you hunt.

Also, have you thought about adding a forward dog cockpit to your BBSB?

I have a 12' Classic Barnegat and an 85# Chessie. The previous owner retrofitted a dog cockpit in the boat and it works well. I layout hunt for divers on Lake Champlain with it and really enjoy it. It is a small rig so I'm limited to about 2 dozen decoys. The one downside is that I can't use a dodger (when running) because the dog'pit hatch interferes. Just something to think about.

BTW is Tucker out of Silvercreek? I PM'd you on the Refuge a couple of weeks ago about that breeder. Just doing some research. I'll probably be looking for a pup next year.

I have a 12' Classic Barnegat and an 85# Chessie. The previous owner retrofitted a dog cockpit in the boat and it works well. I layout hunt for divers on Lake Champlain with it and really enjoy it. It is a small rig so I'm limited to about 2 dozen decoys. The one downside is that I can't use a dodger (when running) because the dog'pit hatch interferes. Just something to think about.

You just need to build a smaller dodger for your buddy and his cockpit, then a slightly bigger one for you and yours.

You just need to build a smaller dodger for your buddy and his cockpit, then a slightly bigger one for you and yours.

Nah. I just keep him to windward and everything works out fine. Plus, I read somewhere that you never, ever under any circumstances spoil a bird dog. :^)

But seriously, I keep a hatch over the dog'pit opening when I'm running. I strap my decoy bags over the bow and the hatch so they effectively become a low profile dodger. They deflect some spray.

I can stow the hatch behind my backboard when hunting.

I've seen some really trick canvas work on this site that's given me some better ideas.

In addition to the boats you mentioned I'd also take a look at the starcraft freedom. It's bigger, wider, deeper and less expensive than the lund alaskan. Personally, I use my old 16' Duranautic with a beavertail blind for everything from blacks in the marsh, divers in the rivers to sea ducks outside and it works well. I can sneak into the marsh 2 hours either side of low and can handle some rough stuff when neccessary.

Hi CJ I just had Gus weighed 102 and he's very lean. I've been tinking about adding a new Duck boat for Puddlers and Geese , Has to be big enough for 2 men and Gus. I've been looking around and the best boathat I've that will fill the bill is Charlie Foulds, Black Brant III its a honey of a boat.

I just sold a 18' Lund Alaskan. To much boat unless you are hunting big open water most of the time.
My choice for the best all around boat is the Estuary. I don't own one but a buddy does, his lab is a monster and lays up on the buggy top. When I have the $$, I will own an Estuary.

Hi CJ I just had Gus weighed 102 and he's very lean. I've been tinking about adding a new Duck boat for Puddlers and Geese , Has to be big enough for 2 men and Gus. I've been looking around and the best boathat I've that will fill the bill is Charlie Foulds, Black Brant III its a honey of a boat.
Capt... Are you saying that the BBIII fits the bill for 2 men and a big dog? I ask because I had a BBII... and they are essentially the same size. I have had another hunter and Kodi (94 lbs). And it is waaaaay to small. Perhaps that is because the 5 doz decoys in the boat. Of course I didn't carry any decoys on the forward deck, which would have provided more room. I too really like the BBIII, but I think for 1 guy. I think the ideal Devlin for open water/ skinny water boat would be the Scaup or Cackler. I don't like being too crowded in the boat.

As for the TDB or Banks being too high in the marsh.... don't use the blind... it will only be about 20"-24" above the waterline.

Last edited:
That was the identical question I posed to David Clarke 2 years ago. We worked on a wide version of the Garvey--he now has several lengths and depths with the basic width and design he designed for me. I would think the 16 or even the 19 he built later would serve you well. I hunt Saginaw Bay area of MI as well as other Great Lakes connecting waters. Seaworthyness was my first consideration yet the fact we have very low water conditions I had to also put skinny water on and equal consideration. My 14 has worked to perfection with my 35 Mud Buddy surface drive for the skinny part and yet---I feel safe in two foot chop out in deeper water. Having said that I don't carry anyone with me, but if I did I would look at one of his larger designs. Good luck Jerry Priebe

Capt... Are you saying that the BBIII fits the bill for 2 men and a big dog? I ask because I had a BBII... and they are essentially the same size. I have had another hunter and Kodi (94 lbs). And it is waaaaay to small. Perhaps that is because the 5 doz decoys in the boat. Of course I didn't carry any decoys on the forward deck, which would have provided more room. I too really like the BBIII, but I think for 1 guy. I think the ideal Devlin for open water/ skinny water boat would be the Scaup or Cackler. I don't like being too crowded in the boat.

As for the TDB or Banks being too high in the marsh.... don't use the blind... it will only be about 20"-24" above the waterline.

Phil, I've never seen a Scaup or a Crackler. But I did see a Charlie's BB III. I was very impressed with the boat and looked like more that enough room for 2 men and a dog. Now I'm talking about crossing an open bay and laying for Puddlers . I've looked at the plans and photos of the Scaup, Definetly a bigger boat and would do the job. I feel its kind of big for a for that application. I just don't like the way the Crackler looks.. Years ago, when I was young, handsome and stupid. I degigned and had built a 14'x5'4" duck boat that 2 gunners laid side by side and shot over the bow. The dog sat between us. Me being a lefty shot I felt it was and still do the best duck boat I ever saw Unfortunatly, I let it rot away. If I told you about some of the trips across South Oyster Bay you would not believe it. But I'm still here to talk about them. You are probably right about the Scaup. I'm 62 now and would be much more comforable laying in a Scaup. Removable hatches over the cockpit with a heater underneath, your in heaven. Now when I gunned the Bay, I gunned over 18 Stool, 15 Blacks 2 Mallards and a Pintail (all McCormick's). I wasn't interested in Brant, but I would shoot a goose if it flew by. which was never. Thats why when I looked at Charlie's BB III I thought it would be perfect.
Forget the TDB or Bankes, as far as I'm concerned a duck has got to look like a duck boat. There not for me.

I hunt out of the Devlin BBIII,

my buddy Rod here is 6'7" #280+
I'm 6'2" #270
Belle was #102 at her Vet check this summer and once the 8- 10 dozen decoys are out its has plenty of room for us. The ride with the decoys is kind of snugly but not to bad.
IMG_4202.jpg

Hey Capt. Jack what a great litter we got to pick from. Really impressed with the marking ability, toughness, intelligence and trainability. Great Chessies there.Tucker is a leaned out 95 pounds right now and trying to keep him at that number. Going to be tough though. My old Perrine is not big enough for us both he is a big brown load. Tried to get him in over the side and he was a bear to lift out of the water, felt like the box was going to take on water . I own a 20 foot Gloucester G-20 center console and he got in and out pretty good with a platform, but can't blind up and hide in that kind of boat.

Will be giving Dave Clark a ring when he is done with show in NJ. Hope we can come up with something before next season.

Cjd

I hunt out of the Devlin BBIII,

my buddy Rod here is 6'7" #280+
I'm 6'2" #270
Belle was #102 at her Vet check this summer and once the 8- 10 dozen decoys are out its has plenty of room for us. The ride with the decoys is kind of snugly but not to bad.
IMG_4202.jpg

Craig Thats a load for that size boat. I'm very impressed. Great looking dog too. Fully loaded how much water does she need to float? What power?

Phil, I've never seen a Scaup or a Crackler. But I did see a Charlie's BB III. I was very impressed with the boat and looked like more that enough room for 2 men and a dog. Now I'm talking about crossing an open bay and laying for Puddlers . I've looked at the plans and photos of the Scaup, Definetly a bigger boat and would do the job. I feel its kind of big for a for that application. I just don't like the way the Crackler looks.. Years ago, when I was young, handsome and stupid. I degigned and had built a 14'x5'4" duck boat that 2 gunners laid side by side and shot over the bow. The dog sat between us. Me being a lefty shot I felt it was and still do the best duck boat I ever saw Unfortunatly, I let it rot away. If I told you about some of the trips across South Oyster Bay you would not believe it. But I'm still here to talk about them. You are probably right about the Scaup. I'm 62 now and would be much more comforable laying in a Scaup. Removable hatches over the cockpit with a heater underneath, your in heaven. Now when I gunned the Bay, I gunned over 18 Stool, 15 Blacks 2 Mallards and a Pintail (all McCormick's). I wasn't interested in Brant, but I would shoot a goose if it flew by. which was never. Thats why when I looked at Charlie's BB III I thought it would be perfect.
Forget the TDB or Bankes, as far as I'm concerned a duck has got to look like a duck boat. There not for me.

Here's a pic of my modified Cackler, I added a foot to the length and four inches to the beam, so it's 15'4 LOD and 5'11" beam. As close as I can tell it draws about 5" I made the V bottom a little shallower to. I love it, and though I haven't used it for big water, I wouldn't hesitate to take it out in rough conditions.

From inside the blind.
Duckhuntsunrise11-09.jpg

This is it on launch day, not camo-ed up yet, but you see fairly low profile yet quite seaworthy.
IMG_3489.jpg

Lasttwohuntsof2007002.jpg

My buddies Snow Goose, also a good multi purpose boat, but neither boat is designed to lay down in, better for a sit on a stool, boat blind sort of thing. I'm younger than you at only sixty, but I don't like laying down to hide, then sitting up to shoot from a sitting position. I much prefer sitting on a seat and standing up to shoot.
John

Craig Thats a load for that size boat. I'm very impressed. Great looking dog too. Fully loaded how much water does she need to float? What power?[/QUOTE]

It will get up on plane, takes a bit. I have a 78 25 horse Johnson on it a 35 horse would be nice. I would guess with the motor a little less than knee deep 20"+/-
around 12" with the pole.
The big rig is all plastic GHG so not much weight there.
Belle Said Thanks :)

Craig

Back