What?s in your bag? November 2020

Brad, emerald ash borer is decimating our black ash population. Okay, why he is there is directly related to the beech/maple; highlands he is laying in; any denser understory cover would likely have made recovery nearly impossible I am pretty proud of my hunting partner's relentless pursuit in tracking him since he bled very little and traveled quite far. He was hit high, with no pass-through. Consequently, it took some time for his pleural cavity to fill with blood and start leaving a blood trail. Initial sign was one to two drops every thirty yards or so.

Eric Patterson said:
clinton bolton said:
Mixed bag today.Another very enjoyable day on Cheney reservoir in the estuary.

Goldeneye and fox squirrels? First time I've ever seen that combo. Cool.

Eric

I'd like to see what the squirrel decoys look like. Do the decoys sit on a pole and twitch their tails? Do you mix them in with the ducks or set them in their own little group? [whistle]

Strange combo for sure.The squirrels would run down the beach to the water and bark at me for some reason when I was putting decoys out or retrieving birds.They would run off to the worlds again when I returned to the boat.I do like squirrels so I brought them home.

clinton bolton said:
Strange combo for sure.The squirrels would run down the beach to the water and bark at me for some reason when I was putting decoys out or retrieving birds.They would run off to the worlds again when I returned to the boat.I do like squirrels so I brought them home.

Congratulations.

Fox Squirrels are very territorial critters, (more so than Grey & Black Squirrels).

Their chattering, and barking has led many to their demise.

In PA I had a seasonal flooded timber spot, that was very productive for Wood Ducks & Fox Squirrels.

Wood Ducks first. Allow things to quiet down, and then Fox Squirrels. Both mighty fine eatin'.

Steel 4's out of the Model 12, 16ga. for both worked just fine, and made for a interesting bird strap.

I got checked once by a PA Game Protector. He shook his head and smiled. "Steel shot for both?" Yup.

VP

Thanks Vince.It sounds like calm winds and sunny tomorrow.I think I will leave the shotgun and estuary at home and bring the canoe an Henry 22lr..I haven?t been squirrel hunting for a month or two.Maybe there will be more angry squirrels.

Clinton,

Reads like a good and enjoyable plan. Canoe, .22 & Squirrels = Quality Outdoors Experience that keep us young.

Henry .22 is a fine gun, and very popular around here.

Good hunting and keep us posted.

I've always been most comfortable with a bolt action rifle, so that is what I use.

CZ American .22lr, with Nikon Rimfire Scope.

Had to put it up until Venison is in the freezer, and then out it shall come.

5 shots rapid fire, on army blanket rest, at 50 yards. If no Squirrel meat, it's my fault... [:/]

VP

View attachment PA190015.JPGView attachment PA190016.JPG

I miss fox squirrel hunting; excellent eating and good "big game" for a hunter starting-out, requiring stealth and patience to get-off a successful shot. More than once I have had them alert me to a buck moving nearby via their chattering.

Will, this is a great thread idea. it's fun to see what others are doing around the country. I went for the first time last Saturday and got a couple of ducks, but didn't take a picture. But I got a pintail and a black on Saturday morrning, and watched a good number of ducks, which is better than I've seen it the last couple of years, and I'll take it!

Back