What's on the Workbench This October

Spencer,

Every time I talk with Bobby Sutton (well.... Bobby does most of the talking), he always tells me what you're up to. Have a great year at school.

haha that seems about right. I am really thankful for all of his help over the years. He has had such a positive impact on the carving community. But thanks! I am attending Baylor University in Texas. I only get to carve when I go home on christmas and summer breaks. I really like that sprig!

A little more work on the Two and a Half Swans rig...

69F3380A-4409-4C26-A9D3-62C4E31542A7-1283-00000228C8179E26.jpg

Just got to put another coat or two on the bills, and rig them with keels

Chuck

PS I don't watch TV, just thought it sounded catchy...

Man, i LOVE the crown and pose on the back ruddy drake==Hope you are taking a roadtrip east with Pat next week.

Thank George! I looked into going with Pat, but it just won't work this year. Maybe in the future I will be able to attend. I look forward to meeting you and others from this site. It is nice to see other's creativity and skill. Enjoy next week!

Very cool pose Bob reminds me of your frond pintail with the head turned early this year. A lot of thought goes into pulling that off

falling temps, yard work done early I was able to do some painting in my new painting closet in the basement. Prior to remodel I was out in the family room with everone else. Since the remod they moved me into a store room. Dad ranks very low here!!

Carved for a friend's son who orders an odd decoy every couple years. Reason he does it is to brag to his Dad's buddy who also buys decoys off of me. A good natured comepetition that keeps me carving.

was going to do him in Fall/Winter plumage but said screw it. Cork with pine bottom and pine tail insert. Tail insert was brushed down with boat epoxy, it was set in pretty deep. If it is like most of his birds it will be gunned over. Painted in oils

E054741A.jpg

Carved for a buddy of mine who travels a lot shooting ducks. He wanted an oldie for his trip onto the Great Lakes. Had to make a pattern that pulled the head way back so the bill would be protected by the breast. This friend has been known to knock bills off carved birds. Tail is white oak that used to be some trim in my kitchen. I put a couple coats of epoxy on it and left it thick. Pine bottom board and cork, painted in oils.

496C8E3A.jpg

A gunning bird for my own sack. My interp of a bay area bird in shape and paint. Hollow cedar that I got from Brandon Y., painted in oils.
E91AF1A7.jpg

Painted up another pickleweed for the field rig yesterday. I believe it's at 15 birds now, mostly mallards but also pintail, & black in there. There always seems to be a late-season, straggler teal or woodrow that flops into the decoys on a cold day in December; but even if there isn't, it adds some interest to the pickleweed rig.

View attachment BWpickle 4 (399 x 600).jpg

View attachment BWpickle 1 (399 x 600).jpg

Decided to "grass" this one (the spirit moved me). Last big group of mallards I added didn't get the grass treatment - couldn't get motivated to grass that many as there were other projects waiting. Is it duck season yet?

Thanks Andy. Looks like a fun project. I would love to see any build pics you have. I can get you my email if you don't want to post a bunch here. Luke

Last edited:
Back