What's on your Work Bench ? FEBRUARY 2018

Mike - Thank you very much.

George - I was looking through some old DU magazines. There was a photo of a pair of Pintails courting, before pairing up. The drake and hen were in the same neck flat, head back pose. I thought they would make some good mid, to late season decoys. So I sketched and did the painting. It makes it much easier when carving and painting the decoy.

Feel free to make it happen, as I have enough to do at this time. I have the white pine and sugar pine set aside, mahogany maybe for the tail, but it may be awhile before I get to it.

Thanks for the kind words.

All~

I have been helping a new friend with his first carving. This is Day 2 on a hollow drake Broadbill. He has it home now for finish sanding.

View attachment sm Jones Broadbill 01.JPG

BTW: That is not a keel down below. It's just a Mahogany cleat temporarily screwed to the body - so it can be held in the vise.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks, as usual for posting the pic.
The drakes were hollow cedar, made two or three years ago, but set aside, because I had other stuff that had to be done. Started my spring cleanup last week, and discovered that my Foredom brushes were in dire need of replacement. Started going through carving withdrawal, then they showed up on a shelf. That is probably the only reason the now are in paint.
Will send you some before and after shop shots. Be mindful, a tall trash bag left the shop, just from the area in the photos.
G

Back