What's on your Workbench - OCTOBER 2023

not sure, we should have him break out a T-square and draft up a 3-view drawing so we can properly visualize it.

Great work again this month by everyone.
With all the box talk a month or two ago I decided to wipe up a few.
Mostly for my decoy paints. The lids are removable and become my brush holder the stackable one might be for my tools.

IMG_6725.jpegIMG_6726.jpegIMG_6727.jpegIMG_6728.jpeg

Patrick. The paint box is very impressive. Love that idea. Hmmmmmm....

Patrick

The boxes are gorgeous and no doubt will serve a useful purpose for quite some time. Did you luck up on the figure or did you find a dealer with premium lumber?

Eric

Eric
A friend of mine dropped off the lumber.
I'm not sure where he bought it. I know he had to do some craftsman style trim work.
This was the leftovers. Price was right (free).

Patrick,

Yer work (no matter what) never disappoints and elevates to another level. Tradition meshed with avant-garde & superior craftsmanship. In short Over The Top. In artistic terms your a "Outsider". A Waaayyyyyyy Outsider. [cool]

Keep On Keepin On

Best regards
Vince

Eric Patterson said:
Patrick

Craftsman style makes heavy use of quarter sawn lumber. Your friend took care of you.

Eric

Patrick lives close to Craftsman Style central, and it's 20min from where I live. It just keeps on chuggin' along. Makes a woodworker dizzy almost to much to process and oh my the lumber supply, old and new.

I didn't know that area was Craftsman central. It is my favorite architecture style. I'd love to have a custom home made that was authentic craftsman.

Eric

Eric
A great deal of that movement was founded here. Hubbards Roycroft campus is 20 minutes away in East Aurora.
Stickler furniture is 2 hours away. Buffalo has 4 wright house. And a few reproduction building Wright designed.

Good morning, All~

Lots of boat work of late - and much more to come.

My co-builder from '91 enjoyed seeing our vessel again - ready to campaign....

CAIRD - Cappy Fishman 6 October 2023.JPG

And, as reported elsewhere, this South Bay Duckboat is almost done.

32 Balabus - PORTRAIT - profile in sun.JPG

I made up a pair of support blocks to keep the flap boards level when open. I sealed them with straight epoxy yesterday. This morning I worked on the hardware and primed them.

IMG_3451.JPG

I have a bunch of gunners in process. The Blacks and (Mallards converted to) Shovelers are Chesapeake Decoys.

Macioch - Chesapeake Blacks and Shovelers - in process.JPG

The smaller birds are Hertwrs Model 63s. The older flat-bottom Mallards are becoming a pair of Shovelers. The newer, extruded keel Pintail is becoming a Herring Gull.

sm Workman - Gull and Shoveler pair.jpg

And, the Bench of George Williams shows plenty of activity....

I'll let him tell you about these veteran Broadie-Beaks....

G Williams - Broadbill.jpg

As usual, there are birds from the Southern Hemisphere unknown to this New Yorker (the Cinnamon Teal. of course, I know...):

G Williams - Southern Teals.jpg

George ? Young Drake Woodlie - or something more exotic ? (The colors on the bill and leg have me wondering...)

G Williams - Standing Teal.jpg

A herd of Woodlies a-borning.

G Williams - Woodies in process.jpg

3 Drakes and a Hen ready for keels.

G Williams - Woodies from above.jpg

Another view of the Foursome.

G Williams - Woodies 4.jpg

All the best,

SJS

I don't know about everyone else but we have been on the preseason treadmill. Between the hunting property final preparation and boat refurb jobs everything else is on the backburner. I finished the hull repair on the brant and will flip her over this week and begin interior work. Thomas bought an old WarEagle jon beater boat and we are refurbing it too. I don't know how Steve Sanford accomplishes all that he does. He must work very efficiently.

Eric

IMG_1803.jpeg

IMG_5869.jpeg

IMG_5868.jpeg

IMG_5867.jpeg

A pair of Black Ducks headed to the East coast for a November hunt. I've never had one in hand so hope it's a decent representation of the bird?

IMG_5853.jpeg

Stee et al, the one on the stick is a ringed teal hen.. She will go on a fence post once she gets south,, The cinnamon is covered, the lone one with the brown crown is a silver teal, the other two are drake ringed teal. The oldies are pre 1980 broadbillss of anearly pattern.. Lover the way they ;floated..Thinking of hacking out a few new models, just for the heck of it. Thanks for the posts

This project is/was on my work bench yesterday and today. The only reason this is duck related ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well actually it is not. [w00t]

A few blade baits I made to replace the ones I have donated to the river bottom, snags and rocks.

Straight from the mold after the sprue has been removed.

20231022_122009.jpg

Hot dipping in powder paint. The lures are heated up with a heat gun, dipped in various color(s) of powder. After which they are cured in a 350-degree oven, to melt the powder into a hard paint coating.

20231022_183221.jpg

Once cured, the lures are ready for the hardware.

20231023_101542.jpg

Hooks, split rings and snaps installed. They are ready for product testing. This batch is a 3/8 ounce size using number 8 hooks. It is the size I use the most, when fishing my local waters. I catch everything that swims with them. Walleyes, Bass, Catfish, Crappies, Northern and the occasional aggressive Bluegill.

20231023_101425.jpg

Dave,
Do those mimic specific fish or does the flashy colors attract the fish to bite?
What circumstances lead you to use one color pattern over another?

They look great and you have definitely shown they work well with all your fishing pictures.

benp said:
Dave,
Do those mimic specific fish or does the flashy colors attract the fish to bite?
What circumstances lead you to use one color pattern over another?

They look great and you have definitely shown they work well with all your fishing pictures.

Depends on just how one is fishing these lures. A good share of the time, I am casting them. As a cast and retrieve the bait triggers a "reaction" bite, so flashy colors or colors that standout in the water conditions present, are desirable.

Other times I do a vertical jig, lift and let it flutter back down. Colors which mimic the local forage seem to work the best with that technic.

Depends on just how one is fishing these lures. A good share of the time, I am casting them. As a cast and retrieve the bait triggers a "reaction" bite, so flashy colors or colors that standout in the water conditions present, are desirable.
Other times I do a vertical jig, lift and let it flutter back down. Colors which mimic the local forage seem to work the best with that technic.

Dave,

Nice job on the blades. Darned if I can catch a fish on one. Most of my efforts have been through the ice. I can call them in, but not get them to bite. Then I drop down the 'ol faithful Rap for the finisher. [cool]

Back