What's on your Workbench - OCTOBER 2023

Very nice!
At the right time of year, these are killer redfish baits, fished vertically right above the bottom.

Dave, those lures look great. What a process to make them!

I can see them eliciting a response of (attack) to any fish that is territorial. Those are really neat.

This is kinda duck related cuz I use the truck to take myself and my dogs to chase ducks. I suppose this is more my dad's "workbench" but it is my truck and a project that I have wanted done for a long while. Since I seldom have anyone in the truck with me, and I don't think I have had more than one person in my vehicles ever, I decided to take the back seat out of the Chevy and just have a platform for the dogs to lounge on.
1. the back seat isn't really deep enough for comfy, long distance dog riding so Belle would ride on my center console or the front seat until I installed her "princess" bed (a removeable folding platform that I put a dog bed on that puts her at the same height as the center console so she can look out the windshield in comfort and style)
2. a lot of space is wasted with the seats that could be used for storage and I do like to make sure I have my "essentials"
3. Belle's princess bed isn't big enough for two dogs and it might be that having the dogs up high to be able to look out the windshield might help cut down on Reggie's tendency towards motion sickness
4. A platform can be used as a bed for me if I am stuck somewhere or am heading out camping but stopping in different places (this is less likely to happen but quick trips, I don't need the rv for)

I wanted a shelf under the platform because with this platform being so high up, I really don't want the dogs jumping out of the truck. I'm trying to save their elbows as much as I can. So, I bought an extendable ramp and I needed some place to store it. The shelf will also work as dedicated gun storage when I am hunting.

My dad likes building things and welding and having "projects" so he offered to build it for me and has been keeping me up to date on the progress as he engineers it. He also had the bright idea that the front and the back will be bolted together so that if I need to take the platform out for any reason, it is easy to do in pieces than as one large unit.

It is amazing how much space is in the back seat area of my truck with the back seats gone!

Initial tack welding and fitting of the back portion:
i-FT54VSN-XL.jpg

Taken out for final welding:
i-f3Zp9G3-XL.jpg

Initial fitting of front portion (he tack welded everything in place):
i-pWC9dgg-XL.jpg

Front portion cooling after final welding:
i-RfF4dPF-XL.jpg

Cross braces have been cut and fit and about ready to have lots of holes drilled:
i-8GvQc4Q-XL.jpg

The shelf under the platform will be 1/2" plywood and the platform itself will be 3/4" plywood. Other than the carriage bolts that will be used to bolt everything together and the carpet I'll pick up to staple over the plywood, all of the materials (including the full sheet of 3/4" plywood and about 3/4 sheet of 1/2" plywood) was all stuff that other people had set out to the road to be thrown away. It's amazing what folk will throw away....better for me though....

Dani

Wow, your dad is going all out on the design and fabrication. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed platform.

Eric

Dani,

Very nice work, If you need inspiration, I have seen similar changes to the back of Jeep Gladiators on the Gladiator forum.

Rick Lathrop

Back