BBSB REBUILD dodger is all done

So I should leave painting the 2nd coat on the deck for last and do all the coats on the hull. Wait a week then finish the deck the 2nd deck coat should cover any chips and I will put beach towls over the saw horses to help. I guess that the best I can do with the fact I put the 1st coat on the deck. Thanks guys.

The boat looks great Chris. I'm glad you picked it up instead of me. There is no way I would have had the time to do as nice of a job as you are doing with it. Good luck finishing her up and good luck with her this season. Luke

The boat looks great Chris. I'm glad you picked it up instead of me. There is no way I would have had the time to do as nice of a job as you are doing with it. Good luck finishing her up and good luck with her this season.
________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks Luke. When I bought this box it wasn't my plan do do all this work to her. I wanted to do the minor stuff use her for a year or two and sell it and buy a nicer box. Well now I guess I have a nicer sneakbox then before. She will last me a long time. The crazy part is I am already thinking about a NEXT/NEW sneakbox.

Today I fliped the boat over and put the 1st coat on the hull. I will let it dry over night and put another coat on tomorrow. I am going to put 3 coats on the hull. Then flip it back over and put the 2nd coat on the deck after that I will let it sit for a week or so. That way the paint will have a good bit of time to dry. Then its off to sea trials. I can't wait to put her in the water. Here are a few pictures of what I did today.
[Inline 20110820124447.jpg]

[Inline 20110820124429.jpg]

[Inline 20110820124343.jpg]

[Inline 20110820124359.jpg]

View attachment 20110820124447.jpg
View attachment 20110820124429.jpg
View attachment 20110820124343.jpg
View attachment 20110820124359.jpg

Is my plan for paint a good plan? I was thinking 3 coats on the hull and 2 coats on the deck. I wouldn't wanna do any less then that. Would adding one more coat to each side make any difference good or bad? So a total of 4 on the hull and 3 on the deck. Or is 2deck and 3hull enough.
Also I bought 4 black nylon cleats that I wanna put on. Will the nylon cleats hold the paint? Do I need to sand and rough up the surface of the nylon first for it to hold the paint? Thanks.

Thanks dave I will set it in the sun for sure I am off of thurs. I hope the paint will be hard enough by then to flip and paint the 2nd coat on the deck. Then the following wed. I will get her wet. I can't wait. I have an appt. With my friend the seemstress to finish up the dodger. I just need to put the pieces on that will snap to the oarlocks. Then put the snaps and grass straps on then its about done. With about 6 weeks till the season opener. Just enought time to go scout some new spots. Here are a few pics of the dodger that will keep me dry this season.

[Inline 20110511174923.jpg]

[Inline 20110511174712.jpg]

[Inline 20110511174913.jpg]

View attachment 20110511174923.jpg
View attachment 20110511174712.jpg
View attachment 20110511174913.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't use a primer. The paint is parkers duck boat paint in marsh grass color. They make 3 colors marsh grass,hunter green, and gray. There is a local hardware store here in NJ that sells it. You can buy it on ebay if you can't find it local.

Looks good Chris, got a quick question for you do you have a floor for inside the cockpit? I noticed in all your pictures it was missing. Chris

Chris,
You have done a wonderful job of rehabbing that old box. You should be very proud! I still think it should be seen at Tuckerton. As you've said, Bill has helped you along the way, but it was your efforts that makes it what it is today.

Back