BBSB REBUILD dodger is all done

Chris, put my rails on with stainless counter sunk screws. Put clear marine silicone under the mounting pieces and then went around the bases with it again and filled the counter sunk screw heads. When painted you dont even know they were filled.

Very nice Chris. You will be an old pro next year at this time. I need a little more structural work and a day of interior glassing and I will start exterior glassing. No even in the ball park of what you have accomplished!

Thanks Tim I Was thinking about doing a conversion likke what you are doing. I like the hybird duck boat a lot. I think that I will build one by next season to hunt ponds.

Today I worked on putting the decoy racks on. It went very smooth. I put the back piece on 1st. Then put the side pieces on. I put the decoy chocks (the little block of wood that holds the racks in place) on and spaced then out a bit further so I would have to pull the side pieces in to hook em. That way they hold tight. I used black 3M 5200 to glue and seal the chocks. Then used stainless bolts to hold em as well. Here are a few pictures of the racks. Next I will be putting the grass rails on and the dodger coaming on then she is ready for paint.
[Inline 20110814204952.jpg]

[Inline 20110814181456.jpg]

[Inline 20110814181443.jpg]

View attachment 20110814204952.jpg
View attachment 20110814181456.jpg
View attachment 20110814181443.jpg

Thanks howard. Hope to have her painted and in the water in the next 2 weeks You got any new pics or your new build?

I hope to have some pics by maybe the weekend. I've got the bulkheads completed and just need to get some sanding done on them. floatation chambers are next. the real problem is that the Dread Pirate roberts still has some work that needs to be done befoe the season and I need to get it to Soloman for certification yet too. Not to mention getting Six started.

great job Chris it really is looking good. Must be getting pretty exciting for you she's almost ready to get wet.

I am getting really excited. I can't wait to put her in the water and even more for hunting season to start. This will be my 1st year hunting from a sneakbox. I can't wait!

Last night I put the dodger coaming on. I used aztek plastic molding. It works great. Its easy to bend I. Liad it on the baseboard heater at my house for about 10 min. That got it warm enough to make a nice bend. Used black 3M 5200 to bed the dodger coaming and stainless screws every 8 inches then I used stainless bolts on the last one on each side. I put the 1st coat of paint on the deck last light. I rolled on a thin coat and used a brush for the little spots along the coaming and grass rails. I will put another coat on the deck on sat. Then flip and paint the hull. How many coats do you think I need? I was thinking 2 on the deck and 3 on the hull. I wanted to ask to see what everyone else has don on there boats. All in all I am really happy with how she looks. Its doesn't really look all that different from before I ripped all the polyester resin and glass off. I know there is a huge difference now though with the epoxy rather then polyester and having 2 layers of glass on the hull rather then the 1 layer it had. Now after all the work I've done to this sneakbox its better new. With the right care it will last me a long time. She is getting really close to taking her 1st ride in the water. I am getting really excited for this upcoming season!
[Inline 20110819103345.jpg]
[Inline 20110819103400.jpg]
[Inline 20110819103456.jpg]
[Inline 20110819103416.jpg]
[Inline 20110819103430.jpg]

View attachment 20110819103345.jpg
View attachment 20110819103400.jpg
View attachment 20110819103456.jpg
View attachment 20110819103416.jpg
View attachment 20110819103430.jpg

Looks great Chris. There's no better satisfaction than shooting ducks from a boat that you built or refurbished yourself.

Kevin

Looks great Chris, I think I would have done the painting of the bottom first so when you flip it to do the other side you wouldn't chip fresh paint off, I wouldn't care if the bottom had a little chip or 2.
What size power are you going to put on her?

Good point about the painting the bottom 1st maybe I will flip her on sat and paint the hull then do the 2nd coat on the deck last

I have a merc 9.8 I will be using to power her I think that will work good

Looks great Chris. There's no better satisfaction than shooting ducks from a boat that you built or refurbished yourself.

________________________________________________________________________________

Well I have the refurbished boat thing covered. Now I just need to get into some ducks this season.

I second Geo's comments. Paint the hull 2 or 3 coats, then set out in the sun for a week to bake. Then flip it and repeat on the deck. Deck gets just as much abuse as the the hull, at least mine does. I walk on it, throw decoys and blind bags on it..... blood, mud, ice, sand, shells..... the hull sees some ice and sand/gravel but am careful there, and have runners taking most of the abuse.

In any case, it will look the same after the first season..... and the touch up next summer will maker her look seasoned!

Last edited:
Back