December workbench

Pat, thanks for the comment! I don't want to clutter the thread with my stuff. Here is a photo of the hen; I'm having a hard time finding a photo of the drake. They're very oversized... about the size of my arm. Glad you're enjoying the ruddy! I'd love to see it out in the rig! Safe, happy hunting and God bless!

Good morning, Spencer~

Glad to see your work - as always. Those Cans are truly elegant.

....and thanks for adding the Scaup. It's obvious she's a Lesser - because they prefer smaller, fresher waterbodies than our Greaters......

All the best,

SJS

Spencer, beautiful work! I really like your hen ringneck, very accurate paint work and the rig, in total has some nice symmetry added via the variety of postures. Nice job!

Spencer - Thank you for posting the hen. And, if your work is clutter, we need more clutter on this site...

Your decoy sitting in the stationary tub reminds me of a story...

Nancy was away and I recently carved a Canada Goose I wanted to float test. Being in the middle of winter, I proceeded to fill the stationary tub in the laundry room with water. While the tub was filling, I got a little distracted. Failing to remember I never put legs under the tub and it was just screwed to the wall, I heard a large crash. Not only did the tub pull off the wall but, it broke both of the water pipes that proceeded to gush water.

Nancy's laundry room floor was never so clean... :)

Last edited:
I've been making christmas ornaments from head cutout scraps this year. I think I'll make it a tradition, been a fun mini-project!

Made this Can for a friends rig an early Christmas present
1379f44df14f9947d1811de9bd7cd78c_zpsubl1tvuo.jpg

Last edited:
Larry, Can looks great. I am sure the lucky person will love it!

Here's a copper and Cedar Hummingbird I finished up this week.

Dennis~

Just finished up 4 Herters Model 81 Brant - one with a carved wooden head. Lots of repairs to heads and bodies; one required a large foam "implant" to its side. Heads are reinforced at body with 2 strips of 6-ounce 'glass cloth and epoxy. Heads and bottoms get an epoxy + sawdust skin. Bodies are burlap + tile mastic.

They should return to service by the time the Brant season opens on Great South Bay in early January. Paints are Behr Ultra latex.

Oster%20Brant%204_zpsotuq968d.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Dennis~

Just finished up 4 Herters Model 81 Brant - one with a carved wooden head. Lots of repairs to heads and bodies; one required a large foam "implant" to its side. Heads are reinforced at body with 2 strips of 6-ounce 'glass cloth and epoxy. Heads and bottoms get an epoxy + sawdust skin. Bodies are burlap + tile mastic.

They should return to service by the time the Brant season opens on Great South Bay in early January. Paints are Behr Ultra latex.

Oster%20Brant%204_zpsotuq968d.jpg

All the best,

SJS
Steve it always amazes me the life you can impart into a herters decoy. Beautiful job.

Back