Devlin’s Mallard Build

Shawn_B

Greetings ya’ll. I am building the mallard and thought I’d start to post some of the build after reading Paul W’s post on his brant. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpeg
    IMG_0448.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0361.jpeg
    IMG_0361.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0363.jpeg
    IMG_0363.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0450.jpeg
    IMG_0450.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 71
First question here. After reading some of your posts, I’m thinking that I should build up the keel fillet with more material. The only thing is, I already glassed that joint. What do you guys think? Too late?, not necessary? or should I go for it?

Woohoooo!!!
A boat build!
Very cool, are you sticking to the plans or did you make any modifications?

Yeah, I enjoyed reading the build posts, so I was inspired to do so as well. I’m going off the plans as exact as I can ;). Not only is this my first build, it’s my first boat too. Therefore, I’ll just stick to the status quo for now.
Good plan. I'm sure that if there is a "must have" known modification, folks here will let you know.

Greetings ya’ll. I am building the mallard and thought I’d start to post some of the build after reading Paul W’s post on his brant. Here are some pics.

Good start! People here have always added bulkheads first then glass the seams with bulkheads in (bulkheads and seams glassed in at the same time). I thought that is how Sam does it too, but maybe not on the mallard. I think your process will work fine (and it is probably too late), so proceed.

T

Do I remember that the Mallard is a displacement hull?
How do you plan to power her?

Yes, Devlin reccomends up to 10hp motor. So that’s what I’ll aim for; and use 8’ oars when stealth is required. Maybe a push pole when in tight ditches.

Do I remember that the Mallard is a displacement hull?
How do you plan to power her?
Yes the Mallard is the displacement hull. I built my first one 20 years ago I took the measurement amidships and I ran that straight out to the transom. To provide more of a planning hull foundation. Ian feir helped me greatly with the mods

Nice Jode, staying with the displacement here for hopefully more seaworthiness. I’ll be hunting with my youngest son and lab mostly. Did you have to modify forward bulkhead opening to fit fuel tank? Or did you place it elsewhere?

Looking good, I loved my boat building experience, makes me proud every time I take it out. I am sure you will have the same feelings. I am glad I do not own an acreage with a big shop I would have more boats and probably no wife. LOL

Nice Jode, staying with the displacement here for hopefully more seaworthiness. I’ll be hunting with my youngest son and lab mostly. Did you have to modify forward bulkhead opening to fit fuel tank? Or did you place it elsewhere?
I can't remember if the Devlin Mallard front cockpit bulkhead has the bottom web, or not. The Broadbill doesn't and the Brant series does. If it does you do lose 2-3 inches in vertical clearance to slide a gas tank into the front storage area. You can make up some of that height if you add more crown to the deck. With a 10 hp motor you may have plenty of fuel/range to be able to use a 3 gallon "squatty" gas tank which makes the height of that bulkhead less critical. The old metal squatty 3-gallon fuel cans are found on ebay. There might be a modern-day plastic can with low profile, but I've never found a plastic can I like as much as the good old steel ones.

Looking good, I loved my boat building experience, makes me proud every time I take it out. I am sure you will have the same feelings. I am glad I do not own an acreage with a big shop I would have more boats and probably no wife. LOL
Lol, you and the rest of us. It’s pretty cramped in the garage no days after I put an additional bedroom in.

I can't remember if the Devlin Mallard front cockpit bulkhead has the bottom web, or not. The Broadbill doesn't and the Brant series does. If it does you do lose 2-3 inches in vertical clearance to slide a gas tank into the front storage area. You can make up some of that height if you add more crown to the deck. With a 10 hp motor you may have plenty of fuel/range to be able to use a 3 gallon "squatty" gas tank which makes the height of that bulkhead less critical. The old metal squatty 3-gallon fuel cans are found on ebay. There might be a modern-day plastic can with low profile, but I've never found a plastic can I like as much as the good old steel ones.
Thanks for info. I’ll look around those gas cans!

I did. I cut an oval shaped bulkhead that cleared my Yamaha stock tank

That's exactly what I had..... the low profile 3 gallon.

Back