February 2023 Workbench

Hey Paisan, just stay busy and occupied with creative thoughts. Keeps a body going!!!! Good way to get started!

MLBob Furia said:
A spatter-painted wigeon gunning urn just completed for one of the DHBP brethren:

Bob,

My goodness what a Baldpate. The eyes got a "tude/intensity" mabbee reflecting those of it's contents.

Best regards
Vince

Mr. Hinton,

The Sugar Pine came from the old pattern shops in Sharpsville, PA. When the last of them went out of business large piles of Sugar Pine, Mahogany, Redwood, etc. were bulldozed into large piles to be burned. A very good friend got me permission to get as much as I wanted for three days prior to the blaze.

I made some calls to fellow carvers and gathered enough to last me a very longtime. Had to make two trips from PA to western NY to get it all here.

Much of the Sugar Pine is very old, 1920's. The dark almost black oxidization runs deep into the wood. Once the carving gets past that, the grain "voice" of the pine is amazing, and never fails to make me smile. I have two pieces that are end stamped Boise Cascade.

So I'm Blessed as well as spoiled having a supply that suits my carving style. The connection to the steel mills, and the foundry's of the Rust Belt run deep in the works that I do my best to create. I owe the material that.

This 23" Steelhead is carved from one of the salvaged pieces.

Best regards
Vince

Steelhead carving.jpg

Eric,

Thank you.

The Canvasback decoy pair sign is for a good friend in eastern Ohio. The Tundra Swan decoy sign is destined hopefully for eastern PA as it has been on the back burner for many years.

Best regards
Vince

Matt, Wonderful decoy of a wonderful duck! Just wish I was still doing the Delta youth decoy contest. I am certain that he would have won first prize. Judging was done by five duck hunting friends that came over for a pizza lunch. First prize was a CZ double 20 bore. Second and third place was a large trophy. All others got a large ribbon. I ran that for only two years and paid all the costs involved. Sad to say that the contest was dropped due to the lack of young carvers sending me a decoy for the contest. I really hope someone will step forward to restart such a contest. Perhaps Duck Boat. net could hold it? That would be more than a worthwhile project. Best, Worth

Thanks

never even heard of that contest, pretty cool what you were doing

He got to shoot a cutdown beretta 20ga ou this weekend. Probably put 100 rounds through it. Now he wants one.

Good morning, All~

More progress From the bench of George Williams~ they will be finished as Mallards and Blacks....

G Williams - Mallards and Blacks carved.jpg

And, I've completed the rehab on the 4 "mystery" Herter's Model 63 puddlers....they arrived as truly "unidentifiable".....

Workman - Model 63 Blacks - 4 as Coots.JPG

They are the earlier flat-bottomed 63s - here coated with epoxy + fine sawdust.

Workman 63s - bottoms coated and cured.JPG

I just explained to a friend over dinner this weekend how heads - especially those with details like Blacks and many Hens - are best painted before being re-atttached to the bodies. Note that I keep the coating off the bills and eyes. And, the one shaft needed to be glued to close a crack.

Workman 63s - heads coated and 1 repair.JPG

Here they are as the owner wanted them - after my usual coating and painting ~ 2 pairs ready-to-hunt...

Workman 63s - All Four DONE - OUTSIDE.JPG

As a young hunter is coming by this weekend to learn about decoy work, I'll not mail these off 'til next week. Right now they're handy teaching tools.

All the best,

SJS

Nice work everyone!

I wasn't really looking for a new project but this one sort of found me. And I'm very excited about it.

The latest project to enter the shop. A classic Antonio "Tony" Bianco (1915-1968) Delaware River Gunning skiff. 15' by 45" this skiff was commissioned from Tony by Bordentown gunner John Imlay. It was, according to Tony at the time of delivery
"The best double ender I've ever built!"

It was gunned extensively on the Delaware River and Crosswicks creek from the 50's through the 90s. Sailing out of the famed Yapewi Boat club on Cosswicks creek, it was used for both sculling and decoy shooting during the Rivers heyday.

After Mr. Imlay retired he moved to South Dakota for the more abundant duck shooting that was present there. The boat made the trip as well and did her duty proudly in the mid-western waters. She eventually found her way back to New Jersey. She was kept in storage until just recently when she made her voyage home with me to undergo restoration.

She is Cedar planked and was originally cotton chinked with canvas and paint for waterproofing. At some point in her history she was covered in fiberglass and polyester resin which is now de-laminating from the hull. Besides that she is largely intact and original. Including the original hatch cover an original floorboards.

I can't wait to bring this beauty back to life and have her on the river once again.

3AB51E1B-D0CF-48E7-BE71-D52752F8FBAE.jpeg

59665E11-098E-4C0A-BAE7-640B33A1F5C9.jpeg

60F127BB-7F26-4BD1-BF50-AB8D91A7FCE1.jpeg

D3AECE3F-ABD9-48CC-9172-E578C033DA26.jpeg

403AE263-5609-467B-A2D8-27C39EDE82C0.jpeg

47ADB681-D417-409C-A08B-AD79CCAFF645.jpeg

69677106-34D4-4B71-996D-5AAC54F67E69.jpeg

Jode,

I cannot wait to see that beauty of a duckin' vessel brought back to better than ever with your care, repair and restoration. A Marsh Gunners workboat. I can only imagine the decoys that were well used.

"The best double ender I've ever built!"

How can ya not be excited bout that.

Best regard
Vince

Thanks Rick. I'll keep you guys updated.

Vince yes, it's a worthy undertaking for sure. Bianco was a very talented Carver as well as boat builder.

I was told that the rig used by Mr. Imlay was all Delaware river classic birds. Some in varying stages of repaint but some were the best of the best

Last edited:
Jode,

I have seen some of Mr. Bianco's decoys at the old Ohio show. Also in some decoy books & magazines, and online decoy auctions. I've been a fan of Delaware River decoys for many years, exceptional unique style. Honest gunning repaint does not matter to me, part of the history of the decoy.

Wonder if there are photo's of the rig somewhere.

VP

Jode~

Spectacular! I look forward to your restoration.

Have you decided whether to go with the original bottom "technology" - or epoxy + 'glass?

All the best,

SJS

Steve Sanford said:
Jode~

Spectacular! I look forward to your restoration.

Have you decided whether to go with the original bottom "technology" - or epoxy + 'glass?

All the best,

SJS

Thanks Steve,

I'm going to need to re-deck the entire bottom. The boat when wrapped in its initial fiberglass deteriorated the planking and the sides badly. I think the only way to really make this salvageable and functional used to go over it with epoxy and fiberglass.

The inside I will treat with several coats of Linseed oil and turpentine and then paint.

Good morning, Jode~

I'm never sure how to caulk the bottom on old vessels that will be glassed. My concern is always about water making its way into the seams from inside the boat. I suppose as long as the cotton+paint is tight all will be fine. My Dad 'glassed his Great South Bay Scooter in 1954. Although I have rehabbed portions of the skin, I've never had to remove any big portion of it. He told me he saturated the seams with linseed oil.

Also, I suppose if you'll be oiling annually, that'll provide ample insurance.

All the best,

SJS

Steve Sanford said:
Good morning, Jode~

I'm never sure how to caulk the bottom on old vessels that will be glassed. My concern is always about water making its way into the seams from inside the boat. I suppose as long as the cotton+paint is tight all will be fine. My Dad 'glassed his Great South Bay Scooter in 1954. Although I have rehabbed portions of the skin, I've never had to remove any big portion of it. He told me he saturated the seams with linseed oil.

Also, I suppose if you'll be oiling annually, that'll provide ample insurance.

All the best,

SJS

Steve, that is a great observation. What I have done on my other wood plank vessels is once a year I go over the inside of the entire boat with Linseed oil and turpentine. This seems to give the wood some elasticity and repels any water that find its way into the seams. I guess one could use some product like 5200, etc. But the wood is always going to move. Even if it's just fractionally. And that's always the issue

Back