January, 2016. What's on your workbench?

Wow, some great work on here. Super job on that hen, Geoff! And I always like Pat's style. Here is a wood duck gunner I recently finished.

A few more going on now.
20160112_140043.jpg
20160112_135954.jpg
20160112_135943.jpg

I get busy, come back and see some great eider heads, nice wood duck, beautiful sprig and a cool preener! I need to pay more attention.

I've had this bird setting around for years because I wanted to paint it in oils, and I was too intimidated to start. I read Keith Mueller's book, went to Geoff Vine's and Jode Hillman's seminars and still kept putting it off. Well to start the new year I gave it a go and I really enjoyed it. I'm pleased with the results for my first attempt.

BAD93766-9AF6-4804-AB0A-7C44EABD8E08_zpsdygfdy8a.jpg
[/URL]

803FB259-3CBB-4327-A586-9C5C004681D8_zpsco4m6zwd.jpg
[/URL]

I had the day off and my wife had to work so I figured it was a good day to get back at the RBM with the oils. I've been waiting for a day when I knew I had 3-4 hours to paint. I still really like painting with oils and am pleased with the results I'm getting. Here are of few pics. It's not done, but getting close.

F75EBB45-5D23-45AA-87F2-ED78F6C753E8_zpsydpjcn6e.jpg
[/URL]

BA0593A0-74A7-4B9E-B946-442824B06B8C_zpsfwunu8p1.jpg

32169A0B-B4F7-4407-8309-DC5A6A6201F8_zpsc4vita2b.jpg
[/URL]

While it is not so much on the workbench, I have been busy around the house. I created a Turtle habitat for my mothers Russian Tortoise. The base was an old desk, but the rest was hand-made. The enclosure is 60' long, 24" wide and 20" tall at its highest point. There is a ramp, penthouse and windows cut in for viewing on the side. The most challenging part of the project was the epoxy paint that I used on the inside to create a hard, waterproof finish. It is a land Tortoise but it still has a wading pool, and will need cleaned out. I will never deal with epoxy paint again if I can avoid it!
Though it was what most would have considered basic woodcraft I found it challenging and enjoyable. I learned a fair amount in the process.

IMG_0985_zpswcrrod3o.jpg

And with "Dimitri" inside

IMG_1006_zpsjzs6tg0g.jpg

And after nearly 3 years in my current house, I finally finished my home office. I am fortunate to be able to work from home a few days a week, and getting things how I like them took some time. A big push this week helped get it squared away.

IMG_1043_zpsjl5t32ib.jpg

IMG_1049_zpstwcda0s4.jpg

I also made a "swamp staff" with a triangle shaped head, similar to Steve Sanford's design posted some months ago. No pictures, as it is currently packed away in my boat in hopes of seeing action before the end of the month.

Along with other projects, such as excavation work in the back yard, fence building and daydreaming about ducks, it has been a busy month. I am looking forward to starting on some new decoys. Though I do not intend to invest the effort I did this past year, so as to lower the level of disappointment if we have another season like this year. lol.

Last edited:
VERY nice, John! Its always a pleasure to see the paint work fully compliment a decoy's lines-well done!

Thanks John .A.
Thanks Rick , I actually painted the back & side pockets a couple times then said that's enough gotta live with it lol!

Great looking decoys and groceries from everyone this month. I'm still trying to catch up with everyone else's talent. I was inspired by a Black duck Bobm did with the wing showing. Beautiful decoy..... As I was Carving I noticed several things I can do to improve the pattern for the next one. The paint.... I'm no Jode Hillman

Wood ducks are done . One hollow cedar drake the rest are cork with cedar bottom, tail boards , heads and mahagony keels . Half inch dowels inserted through everything . Build em tough and make em pretty !

Back